Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I fully intended on getting up at 5:30am for ROTR for both the Monday and Tuesday after the marathon. But my exhaustion after Dopey kicked in and I opted for sleep on Monday. Tuesday was a different story.

The single rider line for Smugglers Run usually isn't too bad. Including when I rode it at Disneyland during opening weekend for The Rise of Skywalker, which was days before Christmas and typically Disneyland is very crowded then. We'll see what FP+ does to single rider lines.

It’s a shame you didn’t try for Monday. I went over to DHS around 8:30 to pick some last souvenirs up and decided on a whim to see if there were any boarding groups left. Got Boarding Group 148, but never thought it’d be called, so I headed on to DATW. I ended up having to leave DATW after our Mary Poppins photo because the BG was about to be called.

My BG was called around 5:30. I got back to SWGE around 6:15 and the check in line was out to the entrance of the land. It ended up being a 3 hour wait to actually make the ride. It went down during the wait and I ended up making it through about an hour after the park closed. Everything about the ride was phenomenally well done. I probably won’t ride it again, as I’m a ride wuss and I knew I was in trouble when the ride cars had seatbelts and they told me to take my hat off. It was too late by then, though...

It’s a shame you didn’t try for Monday. I went over to DHS around 8:30 to pick some last souvenirs up and decided on a whim to see if there were any boarding groups left.
I did get to DHS around 9:00 or 9:30 and boarding groups were gone. I did get to experience it a second time on Tuesday and honestly, I will have more time in April to deal with the early mornings. As a fan, it was a dream come true. I am very excited to experience it as many times as I can pull off in April.
Wouldn't it be great if they gave all runners FPs for ROTR? I know, I can keep dreaming. Just trying to figure out a way for me and my dad to ride this thing while we're there.
I would love to see them do that, but I don't expect it either.

Ya I just told the group of friends that are coming down and doing this with me that we're gonna have to rethink our strategy and possibly try to do ROTR on Sunday morning before everyone leaves

Would be so much easier if we weren't blacked out on Fri :(

Wouldn't it be great if they gave all runners FPs for ROTR? I know, I can keep dreaming. Just trying to figure out a way for me and my dad to ride this thing while we're there.

Maybe you can zip over to DHS immediately after the 5k or the 10k to get your boarding group? I know several people who did this during marathon weekend.

Maybe you can zip over to DHS immediately after the 5k or the 10k to get your boarding group? I know several people who did this during marathon weekend.
5K morning is the current plan, don't think the 10K will be possible for us (really me haha), though it will depend on the actual park opening time. I want to take my time on the courses, but may have to give that up to ride. We will be there Monday as well, but will have to leave mid-afternoon. Don't want to rely on that in case our group doesn't get called early enough.

So I just realized Rival Run is the same weekend as MegaCon Orlando

Maybe we have something else to do as well

So I just realized Rival Run is the same weekend as MegaCon Orlando

Maybe we have something else to do as well
That’s part of why I’m not running
Friend and I ran in 2018 with plans to run this year but then she canceled cause Megacon dates were announced the week before registration and going solo and paying over $200 a night for all star and also not being able to do much cause of AP blackout wasn’t worth it

I am sad to miss the Star Wars 10k this year (had a Vegas trip planned already) but I am hoping to be back in 2021! Good luck everyone!

I'll admit the AP blackout dates would have also maybe been a deciding factor to pass as well. My friend & I spend time in the parks before getting excited so it would have not been as much fun just doing the race Saturday.

I am curious if they will route you thru HS at all this year or even near GE if they do. In '18 it did go in HS (but by ToT) & in '19 we only ran around Epcot which was a bummer for me personally.

That’s part of why I’m not running
Friend and I ran in 2018 with plans to run this year but then she canceled cause Megacon dates were announced the week before registration and going solo and paying over $200 a night for all star and also not being able to do much cause of AP blackout wasn’t worth it
Dang, over 200 a night for an all star? Glad I made out with my 130/night for a preferred room at movies then.

I am sad to miss the Star Wars 10k this year (had a Vegas trip planned already) but I am hoping to be back in 2021! Good luck everyone!

I'll admit the AP blackout dates would have also maybe been a deciding factor to pass as well. My friend & I spend time in the parks before getting excited so it would have not been as much fun just doing the race Saturday.

I am curious if they will route you thru HS at all this year or even near GE if they do. In '18 it did go in HS (but by ToT) & in '19 we only ran around Epcot which was a bummer for me personally.

Ya, I don't think I'll do this again if same weekend as blackouts.

because rooms were so expensive this year there was just no way I could justify going, even if I cut it back to just Sat/Sun for the Challenge. I really wanted that 5th Anniversary medal :mad:

I'm pessimistic these days, unfortunately, for both the 10k and half (check back to the beginning of the thread where you can find me with much more optimism). The last three 10ks were Epcot only and with Rise being the hottest attraction in town, I just don't see the logistics working out. I would be THRILLED if they figure it out but not expecting it at this point.

I have family that will revolt and will be done with the Star Wars races if they don't have the route go thru Galaxies edge. It is a little crazy if they don't ala Princess not going thru the Castle.

I have family that will revolt and will be done with the Star Wars races if they don't have the route go thru Galaxies edge. It is a little crazy if they don't ala Princess not going thru the Castle.

Then they will probably revolt. Disney isn't going to have the races go through Galaxy's Edge due to the crowds that enter at the 7AM openings.

Honestly, I see a FP for ROTR with each registration as being more likely than any of the races actually running through GE. And there is exactly nothing that indicates any FPs for ROTR will be given, lol!

For those who may be new to these races, the race has never been about running through any SW areas/attractions. This isn't like a PHM that is basically a pinker WDW Half with a few more princesses. SW is the theme for Rival Run and it's everywhere on the courses: SW movie clips on giant screens, official WDW SW character stops, 501st cosplay characters available for interaction and photo stops galore, SW music at every turn. I think if you have your heart set on running through GE, you will be disappointed. But if you approach this as a SW-themed race and embrace that theme, you can't help but have a great time!

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know where people got the expectation that the race course would go through Galaxy's Edge. That seems highly unlikely. If it happens, great, a pleasant surprise. But no one should really be counting on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!