Official 2019 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend

hmmmm sorry I've been there. I was a SAHM when my kids were small and DH had long hours too. I'm sure you have heard every kind of advice but hopefully you and he can work out your schedules. Even if it's only one weekday that he can make time but then you have Friday and the weekends, you can make that work. But I know it sucks.

Thanks for the knowing what it feels like. I actually read his time wrong (he uses military time and apparently I wasn't thinking clearly) but I was able to get my first workout in. I had to do 10 min. I ran 2 min over and my pace was 11:44. Not bad for only able to get a run in on fridays most times. i did have to laugh at what i probably looked like but at least I was moving.

Thanks for the knowing what it feels like. I actually read his time wrong (he uses military time and apparently I wasn't thinking clearly) but I was able to get my first workout in. I had to do 10 min. I ran 2 min over and my pace was 11:44. Not bad for only able to get a run in on fridays most times. i did have to laugh at what i probably looked like but at least I was moving.
That's awesome. Getting it in is important. And that pace is definitely not bad!

Will the international gateway be open to exit after the 5K? It'll be over early, before regular park opening. We're staying at YC and it would be nice to walk back instead of busing again around.

Will the international gateway be open to exit after the 5K? It'll be over early, before regular park opening. We're staying at YC and it would be nice to walk back instead of busing again around.
If Epcot’s not open to guests then no if it is then you can cut through but unless your heading back to Epcot or have a hopper just remember it counts as admission

If Epcot’s not open to guests then no if it is then you can cut through but unless your heading back to Epcot or have a hopper just remember it counts as admission
We have APs, but that's a good reminder! OK, it sounds like we are busing out of there.

We are still debating signing up for the Half Marathon. Any advice on a brand new runner (have played soccer, but no organized races) having the Half be the first race? Seems like it's fairly beginner friendly, but curious of opinions.

Also, is it safe to assume the route will match the 2018 Star Wars race?

Last edited:
We are still debating signing up. Any advice on a brand new runner having the Half be the first race? Seems like it's fairly beginner friendly, but curious of opinions.

It's not crazy. If you have run before or are adopting the run/walk method it is doable. I know I read quite a few people that do these races with little or know training (which I think is crazy). The only thing I would caution is you can get pretty sore after the race, so plan accordingly. There are a ton of racers at every level in Disney races. Good luck.

We are still debating signing up for the Half Marathon. Any advice on a brand new runner (have played soccer, but no organized races) having the Half be the first race? Seems like it's fairly beginner friendly, but curious of opinions.

Go for it! Sometimes you need something tangible to get started on training.
Here is a 19-week program for a Half:
https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...ams/runDisney-Half-Beginner-Training-Plan.pdf
Edit to add: You have 3.5 hours to finish, which is a lot of time, so it's doable.

I have officially decided to just run in themed running clothes, black skirt, black tank and a Darth mask on my visor. I have not run once since my half on the 12th. Our remodel is so time consuming, then I got bit by a spider in my sleep and my face swelled up like a balloon! First day back at work as the swelling is down enough to cover the bite with make up without scaring little children (or co-workers!). On very strong antibiotics and am getting my energy back. So hope to start training again this week. :)

I have officially decided to just run in themed running clothes, black skirt, black tank and a Darth mask on my visor. I have not run once since my half on the 12th. Our remodel is so time consuming, then I got bit by a spider in my sleep and my face swelled up like a balloon! First day back at work as the swelling is down enough to cover the bite with make up without scaring little children (or co-workers!). On very strong antibiotics and am getting my energy back. So hope to start training again this week. :)
OMG sorry about your face! I'm thinking themed instead of costume too. Maybe.

The Half is still up on the main event page, but isn't on the registration form now. Is it possible it sold out? I'd be surprised if it was since the January event's seemed to have a slip in attendance.

The Half is still up on the main event page, but isn't on the registration form now. Is it possible it sold out? I'd be surprised if it was since the January event's seemed to have a slip in attendance.

I clicked "register" and saw the same thing... but then I logged in to the runDisney site, and after logging in, the half is shown as available for registration. Weird! But anyway, looks like the half is indeed still available.

I clicked "register" and saw the same thing... but then I logged in to the runDisney site, and after logging in, the half is shown as available for registration. Weird! But anyway, looks like the half is indeed still available.

How strange! Went and signed up this morning now that the half is showing again. Woo!!!

OMG sorry about your face! I'm thinking themed instead of costume too. Maybe.
I hear ya. I usually do themed clothing but want to do a costume this year - I have an awesome mashup idea involving Tinkerbell, but I don't know if I have the time with Ironman New Zealand in March. That race is getting waaaaaaaay too close!!

I hear ya. I usually do themed clothing but want to do a costume this year - I have an awesome mashup idea involving Tinkerbell, but I don't know if I have the time with Ironman New Zealand in March. That race is getting waaaaaaaay too close!!
Wow is that you in the profile pic? I had to zoom in before I asked to make sure it wasn't Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games or something. Good luck on your Ironman!
I know Ironman is challenging but I'll have to insist you find some time to get that costume together.

Wow is that you in the profile pic? I had to zoom in before I asked to make sure it wasn't Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games or something. Good luck on your Ironman!
I know Ironman is challenging but I'll have to insist you find some time to get that costume together.
Haha, yes it's me. Not sure if you saw the new one or the old one from a chains performance. :p I do a lot of circus work... evidenced by my username, lol! I'll try. I reeeeeeeeeeeally want my "dark side" Tinkerbell concept to become reality. I'll let you know!!

I've been staying out of this thread for sadness reasons. After running the 2017 and 2018 Dark Side races, the 2019 race dates and my work schedule will never agree so I can't run it this year. But after reading some runners talk about living vicariously since they couldn't run Marathon Weekend 2019, I figure I'll join in. Plus, Star Wars Rival Run 2020 suddenly became very possible over the weekend.

My very first race ever was the 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon. I had talked with enough runners who convinced me that runDisney was a great event and not just for "serious" runners. If you train properly for it, you should be fine. And remember that no training plan ever goes perfectly. Consistency during the week and the long runs on the weekend will usually help you finish barring injury/serious illness on race day.

My advice. Listen to the experienced runners and do not let excitement push you out there too fast on race day itself. I finished my first half in 2011, but had a difficult experience. I only signed up for the 2012 Disneyland Half and 2012 Wine & Dine Half because I concluded that I could tolerate running for just a few more months to earn the Coast to Coast medal and then I could "retire" from running. Except I had so much fun at those 2 races that while work pressures meant I had to take an 18 month hiatus from running, I resumed running in 2014 in preparation for the Inaugural Star Wars Half at Disneyland (and the Rebel Challenge). Just 2 weeks ago, I finished my first marathon as part of Dopey at Walt Disney World, which in those early days I believed would never happen because I could never sustain a pace for that long. I've yet to run a half under 3 hours, so runDisney is very good for beginners. Good luck!

I had a couple of race nightmares last night...Ugh. SW is still two months away, I hope I don't have any more!
I still have weird dreams about the marathon. After I ran it.

I reeeeeeeeeeeally want my "dark side" Tinkerbell concept to become reality. I'll let you know!!
I saw somebody run as Jedi Tinkerbell at one of the Star Wars Half Marathons at Disneyland, so I think a Dark Side Tinkerbell would be very interesting.

I reeeeeeeeeeeally want my "dark side" Tinkerbell concept to become reality. I'll let you know!!
I saw somebody run as Jedi Tinkerbell at one of the Star Wars Half Marathons at Disneyland, so I think a Dark Side Tinkerbell would be very interesting.
I did a "Tinker Vader" mashup last year and it was a lot of fun! I'm probably doing Imperial Officer Tink this year. For some reason, Tink lends herself really well to Dark Side mashups lol! #DarkSide4ever

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter