"Official" 2019 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Frightfully Festive Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone who posted their experiences with the party this year. I originally had booked a dessert party, but decided to cancel. This will likely be our one and only Halloween party ever, as DH is rarely ever free during this time. The characters and ride overlays are our top priority. I'm afraid we will be stuck in a character line when our time to check in comes around. While the updated fireworks look amazing, I can't justify the time we will waste checking in.

Here’s my experience of cruella add on. Just got home after a overnight flight so apologies in advance for typos. For my family it was worth it. This was our first party, we arrived at 2.30, did haunted mansion, dwarfs mine train and met Mickey using fast passes then had tea at the plaza before party started. Got party bands from inside the park, got a few photos, did pirates and both sides of space mountain, did a few treat trails including monsters inc. I felt part was really crowded and we were flagging by 9 pm so we went to check in for cruella. Staff were very specific that tables were first come first serve but you can pop in and out at will showing you cruella armband. Cruella opened promptly at 9.30 pm. Staff were waiting on entry with trays of drinks to take as you entered. We easily found a table and and had drinks. The drinks were plentiful and included red and white wine, beer, cider, sparking wine plus soft drinks. There were 2 bars set up to serve drinks throughout the night. I really liked the food offerings, lots of little nibbles pizza, meatballs, spinach dip, ravioli together with fruit and cheese and deserts. Staff were very attentive and made you feel welcome. I saw cruella come out for photos 3 times, she took time with guests and engaged them with conversation. It never felt too crowded but it was a media event that night so many bloggers and vloggers were taking pictures of the food which was funny. We saw the parade from reserved viewing. It’s true you could get a good view without the reserved viewing but I felt the parade characters gave us more attention. Personally I enjoyed the view and the less stress atmosphere. We watched fireworks from mainstreet and got a good view. We also went back to cruellas after the parade and food and drink was still plentiful. Over all cruella made the event for us. I didn’t enjoy the actual party, too hot and crowded but cruellas was a peaceful oasis that stopped us going mad and made us feel special. Yes it did cut in to party time but I think it was worth it.
Is 9 the earliest you can check-in for Cruella’s? I was watching the live stream and thought I heard the CM say something about only being able to check-in if your entire group was there, can you confirm this? I was hoping that I would be able to check-in for our group while they waited for a good spot for the first parade but when I heard that I knew this was going to be a problem.

Waiting to board our flight home. Here is my review. We had FPs for M&M at Town square, SDMT & Splash.
We did M&M at 4:00, waited 20 minutes. Then grabbed our Sorcerer’s card.
Did SDMT, followed by splash. It was 6:12 when we got in line for BTMR, should have been a 15 minute wait but the ride went down for about 20 minutes. Decided to place a mobile order at Peco’s, that turned out to be a terrible idea. We waited 30 minutes to get our food, I know it was probably ready in 10 but the CMs must have all been new. There were no mobile orders coming out, it was my first time using MO so I had no idea how it worked. After 25 minutes we asked to speak to the manager and he helped one person and then wasn’t seen again. I finally was able to flag down a CM that knew exactly where to find my order, I didn’t get a text until an hour later. I really don’t think they were prepared for the masses.
At 7:45 we walked to PoC and the line was super long, again I don’t think they expect these many people, the line was all the way to JC thankfully it moved fast, posted 35, actual 10. ToT lines were long but moved fast 5-10 each line.
Went to HM, posted 40 actual 20... people were leaving the line because it was snaked at the beginning but not towards ride entrance.
It was 8pm and Frontierland was already crowded with parade watcher. We checked into Cruella’s at 9:15 then headed to Tomorrowland to ride SM. Space had a 50 minute posted wait and the line was probably 30 feet out the door, we moved on to Speedway, they were only running half so we waited 20 minutes, after that SM was only posted at 30 minutes, we waited about that. LOVED it in the dark, highlight of the night.
We went to the hub to watch the fireworks, loved it wished we would have been able to see more of it but I’m sure other reviewers have noted how packed it was.
After we headed to Tony’s to enjoy the food & beverages. If I were to do it again I would NOT do Cruella’s. The food was not good, my 11 year old can make better brownies and desserts. There was plenty of good enough viewing spots around 11pm near the front of the park. We ended up just spending the rest of the party at Tony’s because we were too tired to walk anywhere else, it was day 6 for us so we were exhausted.
I wish we would have done the Plaza viewing area party, although from the little I read I think that was crowded too.
We didn’t get much done at the party, the walkways felt more crowded than any other day at MK during this trip, people were rude but I think we were all just annoyed by the crowds and how unprepared the CMs appeared.

We had a much better time during the 2016 & 2018 sold out parties.

Last edited:

Just curious? How would you rate the crowds of MNSSHP to just a normal day at MK. On a scale 1-10 what crowd level would MNSSHP be compared to a normal day at MK?

Waiting to board our flight home. Here is my review. We had FPs for M&M at Town square, SDMT & Splash.
We did M&M at 4:00, waited 20 minutes. Then grabbed our Sorcerer’s card.
Did SDMT, followed by splash. It was 6:12 when we got in line for BTMR, should have been a 15 minute wait but the ride went down for about 20 minutes. Decided to place a mobile order at Peco’s, that turned out to be a terrible idea. We waited 30 minutes to get our food, I know it was probably ready in 10 but the CMs must have all been new. There were no mobile orders coming out, it was my first time using MO so I had no idea how it worked. After 25 minutes we asked to speak to the manager and he helped one person and then wasn’t seen again. I finally was able to flag down a CM that knew exactly where to find my order, I didn’t get a text until an hour later. I really don’t think they were prepared for the masses.
At 7:45 we walked to PoC and the line was super long, again I don’t think they expect these many people, the line was all the way to JC thankfully it moved fast, posted 35, actual 10. ToT lines were long but moved fast 5-10 each line.
Went to HM, posted 40 actual 20... people were leaving the line because it was snaked at the beginning but not towards ride entrance.
It was 8pm and Frontierland was already crowded with parade watcher. We checked into Cruella’s at 8:15 then headed to Tomorrowland to ride SM. Space had a 50 minute posted wait and the line was probably 30 feet out the door, we moved on to Speedway, they were only running half so we waited 20 minutes, after that SM was only posted at 30 minutes, we waited about that. LOVED it in the dark, highlight of the night.
We went to the hub to watch the fireworks, loved it wished we would have been able to see more of it but I’m sure other reviewers have noted how packed it was.
After we headed to Tony’s to enjoy the food & beverages. If I were to do it again I would NOT do Cruella’s. The food was not good, my 11 year old can make better brownies and desserts. There was plenty of good enough viewing spots around 11pm near the front of the park. We ended up just spending the rest of the party at Tony’s because we were too tired to walk anywhere else, it was day 6 for us so we were exhausted.
I wish we would have done the Plaza viewing area party, although from the little I read I think that was crowded too.
We didn’t get much done at the party, the walkways felt more crowded than any other day at MK during this trip, people were rude but I think we were all just annoyed by the crowds and how unprepared the CMs appeared.

We had a much better time during the 2016 & 2018 sold out parties.
Just want to make sure this wasn’t a typo. You were able to check-in for Cruella’s @ 8:15? Maybe I missed it somewhere but I don’t think I was able to find any info on when exactly we can check-in, even on my confirmation it didn’t say.

Just curious? How would you rate the crowds of MNSSHP to just a normal day at MK. On a scale 1-10 what crowd level would MNSSHP be compared to a normal day at MK?

For party-specific offerings (parade, fireworks, characters), MNSSHP will seem more crowded. For attractions offered during any normal day (most rides), less.

We are attending our first party on 9/20. I’ve so enjoyed reading the reviews and planning tips from everyone.

Perhaps it’s been mentioned before, but has anyone ever met up with a generous DVC-er through the Dis who has included them in the 2pm early entry? I believe each member can bring 7 or 8 guests? Just seems like an awesome way to spread some pixie dust.

We are attending our first party on 9/20. I’ve so enjoyed reading the reviews and planning tips from everyone.

Perhaps it’s been mentioned before, but has anyone ever met up with a generous DVC-er through the Dis who has included them in the 2pm early entry? I believe each member can bring 7 or 8 guests? Just seems like an awesome way to spread some pixie dust.
Yes a fellow DISer was dusted. It's nice to know how generous some can be as not everyone can afford DVC & AP's.

Just want to make sure this wasn’t a typo. You were able to check-in for Cruella’s @ 8:15? Maybe I missed it somewhere but I don’t think I was able to find any info on when exactly we can check-in, even on my confirmation it didn’t say.
Sorry, I meant 9:15pm... typo... I’ll edit my post.

A few more comments from the first party

Garden dessert party
we got in line at 830 to check in, I don't remember it taking long. They didn't start until 845 I think, but it moved okay once it started.
3 of us sat and ate, while two went immediately to the garden to scope out a spot -- this was entirely unnecessary. There was plenty of room next me at the start of the fireworks. I really wish my kids had done anything else other than sit there and wait. They did see some of the first parade. My youngest was exhausted (day 21 of our trip and we'd been at MK since 9am) so the rest probably was good for him.

Based on the crowd outside the dessert party area, I am so glad I went with this option. It's been a long time since I'd seen Hallowishes, so I can't really compare the two. I enjoyed the fireworks show. We all did.

PLEASE take note of this -- I was very surprised that there were so many people leaning up against the fence outside the dessert party. I assumed that this would not be allowed and at 10:10, the whole fence line was mobbed with people, some of whom had been there since the first parade. At 10:13, security came by and moved them all out. Good for dessert party viewers, especially kids and those in wheelchairs. However, I felt bad for the people who been standing there for for so long to find out 2 minutes before the show that they were not in a viewing area. I didn't understand why someone hadn't told them sooner.

It was very difficult getting out of the dessert party. I suggest leaving through the spot you enter, not the gate that is facing the castle.

We fought our way through this crowd into Adventureland and over the bridge that exits near the Liberty tree gazebo - -this was a happy accident. We got pushed this way, but it was the less crowded path. We went behind the Christmas shop and came out to the parade path. We staked out a spot in between the Liberty Tree and Diamond (blah blah I forget its whole name). This was a great spot as I got parade photos as it came around a bend. They were not letting people stand on the wall. I'm short and I wanted good photos, I did need to go get this spot. If you have kids, you need to go get a spot on the rope line. However, there was standing room behind me when the parade started.

Again, I wish my kids had just left their bags holding their spots and went and did something. It was about 10:50 when we sat for the parade, with a start time of 11:15, it seemed like they wouldn't have time to do much, but the parade was late and didn't get to us until about 11:30.

After parade, we had a bathroom break, photopass with pumpkin at the hub and then found great spots for the show -- which also started late. I think the whole night was late due to the float issue in the first parade.

Last edited:
Plaza dessert folks:what time did you leave to find a spot? Any tips on where to sit/stand?

I went into the spot around 9:15 I think. 2 of my kids went in around 9:00. If you just want any spot in the garden area, you can come in much later. There were open spaces next to me during the show. If you want a specific area, 9:15 was too early. If you want a really specific spot...well I was there at 915 and had to share my spot described below.

The entire front fence was taped off for wheelchairs.

My kids stayed on the fence in the back all the way to the left as you face the castle. They liked it, but it wasn't good for taking photos because of a post and a spotlight.

There is a topiary that is fenced off about 2/3 of the way into the dessert party area. The gate that faces the castle is in front of this. I was leaning up against that fence. It gave me a good view of the castle without the pole and spotlight issues for photos. It gave me something to rest against while standing. Also, I had no intention of sitting on the concrete and with this topiary at my back, I knew I didn't have to worry about anyone giving me grief over standing.

In the end, I think everyone stood up once the show started. Of course, there were shoulder kids (not at all necessary in this location) but fortunately, the one in front of me managed to stay out of my line if sight.

Last edited:
My daughter said something about these mugs last week and I went searching for old threads to see if we should even *hope* of seeing them on our trip, lol. From what I could find, they announced the mugs in early August last year. The first report of someone actually seeing them was August 29th. They were only at a handful of resorts for a few days, disappeared completely for a couple weeks, and came back mid September. Availability was pretty sketchy all season. It would make more sense if they’d just put them out with all the other Halloween merch, and make plenty of them available since the demand is obviously very high. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Does anyone have a picture of these from last year? I guess I’ve never seen them before.

Hello and welcome!!

Pooh and gang do command long lines and they start meeting at 6:30. Lining up around 615 will likely not get you into their first set, so you may be there until 8. Arriving by 5:45, if possible, should have you in their first set and out of their line around 7.

Lotso’s line averages 20-30 minutes, so I’d plan to head there right after the fireworks for the shortest wait. We met him with a 10ish minute wait that way a few years ago.

Where do you plan to watch the fireworks from? The parade will be past you in Frontierland around 9:35, so as long as you’re not looking for a center spot on Main Street you should have time to hop on BTMRR between the parade and FW.

Feel free to make any changes to your itinerary and post the revised plan here - always happy to review and help!!

Pooh's line is MADDENING. Every group wants to hug everyone hello, give stupid gifts to everyone, take stupid pictures, take pictures with everyone individually, take group photo, hug everyone goodbye, get pic waving goodbye. Then, oh hey, it's time for Pooh to go wrap gifts.

Never again.

I may have to add a second party! I want to see Jasmine and the gang for me. Facetime my granddaughter with Ariel and Moana. Plus I never watch the fireworks so I had a 5-minute wait to meet the 7 dwarfs. But this year I want to see the new fireworks and watch the parage and shop and meet all the characters. Two parties may have to be!

What is the wait for SDMT during the party? I have a little one who'd love to try it, but we weren't able to get fastpasses on a regular day.

Hi everyone! I've been following along with this thread and getting so excited for my very first Halloween party! I'll be attending with my brother (15). It's his first party as well, so we're in this together. We're not going until 10/4, and I'm thinking of also booking the party 10/6 to allow for some time to simply enjoy the party atmosphere. The special characters are our main priority. Not really into ToT, and the only ride we may try to catch is Space Mountain overlay. I'd love comments or suggestions for my rough itinerary. Thanks!!

Leave Pop Century at 3 (Will have had late lunch/early dinner). Is this too early to leave?
FP for BTMRR, Splash, Peter Pan
Get in line for Pooh Friends (line up at 5:30?)
Meet Queen of Hearts/Tweedles
Maybe meet Minnie/Donald & Daisy (depending on how lines look)
head to Adventureland
Meet Jafar, Aladdin friends, Tarzan & Jane
Get snacks, check wait for Space Mountain, walk around
10:15 fireworks
11:15 Boo to You parade
12:00 Spelltacular show

Is this doable? Since it is our first party I really do want to walk around and experience everything, but I know we can't do it all. I'm thinking if we do the second party we could do more of the overlay rides and fit in time for the 7 Dwarves.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!