Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

Hi - I'm new to Dis Board. I have been reading all of the forums/facebook posts about Light Side but I don't see "facebook speculation group" you are talking about. Can you direct me please? Thank you!
Also, I just read the LA Times article about the problems that Disney is having with the City of Anaheim, and it does shed a little light. Not about permits, as has been discussed, but the larger picture, of Anaheim shutting down Disney regarding larger projects.
My daughter and I just started our RunDisney adventure with Princess and Tink this year, and we have signed up for Dark Side next year, and wanted to shoot for the Kessel Run. What a disappointment if the Light Side doesn't happen!
Interesting LA Times article. Themeparkinsider.com has a good rebuttal to the LA Times article. I find it hard to believe that the city of Anaheim would want to upset its biggest job provider and tax revenue generator.

Interesting LA Times article. Themeparkinsider.com has a good rebuttal to the LA Times article. I find it hard to believe that the city of Anaheim would want to upset its biggest job provider and tax revenue generator.
you don't know politics then...sadly, these morons will screw things just because they are one side of politics or the other. Not saying Disney is an angel here but these idiots are too partisan.

Thanks bunches! But now I'm going to have low self-esteem if they don't accept me into the group. HeHe :)

You'll get in! Just give it a bit as a couple of the admins are traveling back from Chicago today.

you don't know politics then...sadly, these morons will screw things just because they are one side of politics or the other. Not saying Disney is an angel here but these idiots are too partisan.

Yep. Logic dictates you play nice with Disney but it doesn't work that way. Anaheim isn't what Anaheim is today without the Walt Disney Company.

Another great article - thanks for that. It's nice to get a more broad viewpoint. Does anyone think this could be the problem? That perhaps with the power plays going on, Disney doesn't want to ask Anaheim for ANYTHING, even as inconsequential as a race permit?

That perhaps with the power plays going on, Disney doesn't want to ask Anaheim for ANYTHING, even as inconsequential as a race permit?

Others have said that Disney never applies for the permits even by this point though. So the fact that they haven't means nothing.

Others have said that Disney never applies for the permits even by this point though. So the fact that they haven't means nothing.

Oh, yes, you are absolutely correct there. They don't apply for permits until 30 days out. But what I meant was maybe they don't intend to apply for them, at least until some of the other projects that are on the table, get resolved? And if they don't know whether it will happen, they can't open up the registration? I don't know, just a thought.

So just as a weirdness.... I have ran with rd for years now, as we all have.... I have had to email them a few times in past and recently did about the WDW weekend...

going back through 5 emails over 7 years (2 were deferrment requests (one was before they phased them out and the other was politely telling me they no longer do them), 1 was asking about a corral placement due to my father being terminally ill and needing to get in an earlier corral so I could get back to the hospital before his surgery, 1 was regarding this past years tink, 1 was a question about coast to coast, and like I said, the most recent was regarding WDW weekend)... The ending was alarming which is why I went back to the older emails I have received from the.... In past, they all have ended with: "We thank you for your understanding.", "We look forward to seeing you!", "We hope to see you at future runDisney events!".... the most recent one was "(MY NAME), we hope to see you participate in a future runDisney event."

It could mean nothing BUT I also wonder if based on the amount of hate mail they are getting, they are already doing damage control (no matter if they cancel, postpone, or try to pull it off in the short time frame they have at this point) for anyone that is not emailing them regarding light side. My email literally expressed I was already signed up, running multiple events that weekend. AGAIN, its all speculation but even the body of the email was not in the normal responses I have received and that includes their email going into detail about phasing out deferments!

#wantingtorundisneyland #hopefulbutrealistic

The San Francisco Half was cancelled this weekend due to the Napa/Sonoma fires....I'm interested to see if they do refunds...the article I read didn't specify.

The San Francisco Half was cancelled this weekend due to the Napa/Sonoma fires....I'm interested to see if they do refunds...the article I read didn't specify.
It will be interesting, but I would be surprised. Wild fires aren't something they can really control and presumably they already have sunk costs. Act of nature/unforeseeable events are different than cancelled because we can't get our [you know what] together. Even Ticketmaster, which isn't exactly known for it's great customer service, gives refunds in the second scenario. http://help.ticketmaster.com/what-happens-if-my-event-is-canceled/ It's pretty sad that I am now reduced to comparing Disney, which supposedly has great customer service, to Ticketmaster :(

What about any other races held at DL ?????

Nothing for DL listed past Avengers 2017. Actually nothing listed pasted Dark Side for that matter. Surprised not to see at least a mention in passing of the Virtuals or 2018 dates for Wine and Dine.

Silver lining to all of this has to be that the trolling of runDisney on its social media platforms by impatient runners has transitioned from frustrated to incredibly clever and amusing. The posts on their latest Facebook photo of someone dressed as Gaston were very clever and gave me a good laugh!

I know a lot of people are looking at RnR Arizona as an alternate - but for those wanting something on the east coast, I was just looking at a quiet weekend in Charleston (instead of light side) and discovered that January 13 is the Charleston marathon! There is a full, half and a 5k. Seriously considering it as a post Dopey shakeout given my chances of a C2C are now pretty much defunct.

EDIT - At the finish line you get a beer or mimosa and shrimp and grits (in addition to your medal).

Yeah, I have flights booked to LA already. Debating whether to use them to still visit the "Land" and then head up to Portland to visit family or cut the loss and save money. I should really use some of the travel funds finish the 2 car garage at home. The yard looks weird with a completed foundation sitting in it with no structure. Priorities!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter