Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I see so much speculation here and elsewhere, let's keep in mind:
  • We know construction isn't going to be an issue as Disney hasn't been given any permits for the new parking structure, let a lone the new hotel.
  • The reason they haven't been given the permits is the current mayor and city council are pretty much anti Disneyland and a large part of that is what they see at Disney nickel and diming the locals every chance they get lately, it doesn't sit well when they do that a d then ask for things that will negatively impact the locals.
  • Given these two facts, my guess is that they won't get permits for the races either unless changes are made in the city council, which would be in November if any of them or the mayor are up for reelection and even then we would be talking January before the changes took place.
Given all of that, I would say there is a strong g chance that races will be cancelled and/or postponed.

But this is pure speculation on my part based on what I see as someone who lives near Disneyland and the general attitude in the area.

There has been an investigational journalist already looking into these issues. The permits have nothing to do with why the race registration hasn't been announced. Typically, race permits are only submitted ~30 days before the race. People called those in Anaheim and Garden Grove and it is not them.

The current theories in the group where he has posted this information stem from two main reasons

1) Issues with using the Temp Workers for The Races (Tink, Disneyland Half and Avengers were already being sold to regular participants at the time that had to change thus 2017 races weren't affected) They are waiting for Disneyland Half to see how it goes.
2) Rebalancing of RunDisney Races - Disneyland doesn't need the help attendance wise anymore for the boost
3) New Disneyland leadership doesn't want to deal with the hassle as much
4) Lack of Sponsor creates cashflow issue

I doubt we will get any answers until after the Disneyland Half Weekend.

Just remember you usually only have 90 days to contest the charge.

Depending on the credit card - yes. There is a reason why I use certain cards for items like this. The Visa card I put this on allows up to 540 days

"Time limits associated with Visa chargeback reason code 30 can change if the merchandise or services were expected to be provided after the transaction processing date. However, the time limit a cardholder or issuer has to chargeback cannot exceed 540 calendar days from the date of transaction processing."

Dis_yoda, I have your avatar on a T-shirt and get comments on it when ever I wear it.

Dis_yoda, I have your avatar on a T-shirt and get comments on it when ever I wear it.

I have that shirt too! I love it as it has my two favorites! I'm getting a tattoo designed using Stitch and BB8 from the same guy that did my husband's work on his legs.

Otherwise, you have a lot of merch to design and order and other random things.

That stuff is pretty much on auto pilot. The designers come up with a few designs and drop them into existing templates for race merch. Ditto the Mile Markers and Banners etc. They can bust that stuff out in a few days.

That stuff is pretty much on auto pilot. The designers come up with a few designs and drop them into existing templates for race merch. Ditto the Mile Markers and Banners etc. They can bust that stuff out in a few days.

Agreed, though approvals through the chain of command will likely take longer. Regardless, the point being they aren't starting from scratch on any of the creative elements and likely have already had design meetings and made decisions on color schemes and main elements as well. As far as we know, everything aside from web and social updates and the registration itself is moving along as it usually would with the same timelines.

At this point, they're just trying to get rid of this 2017 stuff since both races have since been completed. Only something dated 2018 would be something important to note.
I was just letting people know that stuff was for sale...

My last post needs to be clarified. It was made based on the fact that I read @darienne8187 's post to be part of the current conversation regarding speculation if the Kessel and CtC were happening in 2018, which she has clarified is not the case.

The charity I ran with a couple years ago posted on their Facebook page today the following...

"We've been fielding lots of questions regarding 2018 Star Wars Light Side Weekend and Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend. WE can tell you what we heard from runDisney this morning, and that is to definitely expect changes and we should have the announcement by mid-August. Our rep has not indicated that SWLS will not be happening."

It's past mid-August?! Where is our announcement, runDisney?!?!?!

On a side note, I've been running 2 to 3 miles a few times a week and my knee is holding up! I was having knee issues earlier in the year but I've been taking it easy. I'm not pushing myself and taking it slow on runs. So far, so good.

On a side note, I've been running 2 to 3 miles a few times a week and my knee is holding up! I was having knee issues earlier in the year but I've been taking it easy. I'm not pushing myself and taking it slow on runs. So far, so good.

I was waiting for there to be some sort of announcement by now too!!!
This is really bad on their part. To not communicate in any way whatsoever.
I wish we were able to rate them through Google or Facebook....

My thoughts exactly! The charity posted on facebook yesterday that they had talked to runDisney the day before and they were not given an update yet.
I want to hear something soon but I really think we're not going to until after the Disneyland Half. I hope I'm wrong.

My thoughts exactly! The charity posted on facebook yesterday that they had talked to runDisney the day before and they were not given an update yet.
I want to hear something soon but I really think we're not going to until after the Disneyland Half. I hope I'm wrong.

I fear that as well.

I also noticed that they don't have *any* training plans for 2018. The Light Side training plan (as well as the WDW marathon) are for 2017.

At this point, if they announce that it's happening, I won't know whether to be happy or mad. I hate all this uncertainty!

Here is my thing. If people run for charity, usually they can start fundraising earlier to help raise the funds (not only the minimum amount to run but extra) for the charity. IMHO, their lack of communication and delay is going to hurt the charities fundraising opportunities. It's disappointing that some of these charities rely so much on events like these for their annual raising opportunities to have lost months and to not even have clarity as to what is going on in 2018. In the same breathe, its disappointing for the participants doing the fundraising as now there is a risk of potential abandoning bc of the shortened time to raise significant money or to that, even creating fundraising opportunities to meet the minimum amount.

Here is my thing. If people run for charity, usually they can start fundraising earlier to help raise the funds (not only the minimum amount to run but extra) for the charity. IMHO, their lack of communication and delay is going to hurt the charities fundraising opportunities. It's disappointing that some of these charities rely so much on events like these for their annual raising opportunities to have lost months and to not even have clarity as to what is going on in 2018. In the same breathe, its disappointing for the participants doing the fundraising as now there is a risk of potential abandoning bc of the shortened time to raise significant money or to that, even creating fundraising opportunities to meet the minimum amount.
I was searching around a few weeks ago and found this charity already has Supporters https://www.firstgiving.com/kellsieshopefoundation/2018-star-wars-half-marathon-the-light-side, which I thought was odd since I assumed no charities were open for registrations yet. I don't know a thing about charities and the races but thought it was interesting.

I agree. I was planning on running with Team Muscle Makers for UCMD again but I most likely won't now because I don't think I can raise the funds in that shortened amount of time.

I did my first half marathon last year at Disneyland. Being my first one....and given that we are supposed to be at the starting line at 5:30am in the morning....I decided to stay at the Disney California Hotel. Despite the cost, I decided to stay there cuz my family hasn't stayed there before....and I didn't want to have to figure out how to drive myself to the park and get up super early to do so. Although it was easier for me to get up and just walk outside to get to the starting line....I ended up spending a lot more $$$ than I wanted to ( while factoring a whole weekend at the DL parks themselves with the family ).

This year, one of the main reasons as to why I would not do the next Light Side Half Marathon in January 2018 is due to $$$ concerns.

For those that have done these Half Marathons at DL from year to year....where do stay when it comes to staying at a hotel?

My preference is to find a place that is within walking distance. I can't drive there....since my Wife and Kids would have to do the same in order to meet me at the finish line ( yes, I am one of those types that want my family there at the end of the run )....so it has to be walking distance from the Finish Line near the DL hotel itself. We usually stay at Residence Inn or Hampton Inn....to give you an idea of the type of hotels that I prefer to stay at....so, maybe more 3+ star hotels? I know that those type of hotels are still a little pricey....but nowhere near as pricey as staying at the DL or DCA Hotels.

Any suggestions on where to stay?

The nice thing about Disneyland is the proximity of off-site hotels. For Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend, my mom, aunt and I stayed at a hotel at the corner of Harbor and Katella. We were able to walk to both the start line of the races and the to the main gates of the parks in about 10-15 minutes. There are hotels literally in every direction from DL within walking distance, so just go to your usual rate and review site to see which one may suit you best. If you don't want to walk every time, most are also on the shuttle route and you get free (I think? Maybe just discounted) tickets for the shuttle for the whole weekend at the DL race expos. MANY people were walking to and from the start/finish, however, and it was a nice warmup distance. I'm planning to stay in the same hotel when I go back for Light Side.

Last time I stayed at the Best Western Stovall Inn on Katella and Disneyland Drive. It's clean and spacious...and free continental breakfast before the races! (Hey that rhymes!:duck:) It's only about 5-10 minutes walking past the Paradise Pier Hotel. There are several coffee shops in the area. Also a small pizza and pasta place close by. Must be really good since I couldn't get in the night before the Light Side half. Like The Expert said, there were LOTS of people walking to and from the start/finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!