Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

I hadn't thought of the possible implications to dark side. Some people signed up hopeingbto get the coast to coast medal. Would runDisney refund the people who no longer wanted to do dark side if there were no light side?

Doubtful, but I think there's a chance they'd let us register for Light Side in 2019 and have it still count toward Kessel Run (assuming it's simply postponed/skipped and not canceled).

A reminder that the rD website has not posted anything about the 2018 Coast to Coast or Kessel Run Achievements. People may sign up hoping for the CtC or Kessel, but they should not assume. At this point rD is still free to change anything they want.

A reminder that the rD website has not posted anything about the 2018 Coast to Coast or Kessel Run Achievements. People may sign up hoping for the CtC or Kessel, but they should not assume. At this point rD is still free to change anything they want.
True however people are signed up and paid for the light side races. Those people with money tied to this weekend are certainly in a bind.

So yesterday I took the plunge and bought a package for this race weekend, flight-hotel-car, then I through "what if they change the race weekend date?????" And now I'm freaking out. Has anyone else already purchased for that weekend?
I called runDisney hoping they could give me some sort of answer but they didn't know anything. They transferred me over to active.com and the call dropped. I don't know what to do! I have till 5 today to cancel my booking. :headache::headache::headache:

So yesterday I took the plunge and bought a package for this race weekend, flight-hotel-car, then I through "what if they change the race weekend date?????" And now I'm freaking out. Has anyone else already purchased for that weekend?
I called runDisney hoping they could give me some sort of answer but they didn't know anything. They transferred me over to active.com and the call dropped. I don't know what to do! I have till 5 today to cancel my booking. :headache::headache::headache:

Would you be ok having a long weekend at Disneyland if that is the case?

I haven't booked travel yet as I'm waiting. I don't have enough vacation time for multiple Disneyland weekends since I live on the East Coast.

Would you be ok having a long weekend at Disneyland if that is the case?

I haven't booked travel yet as I'm waiting. I don't have enough vacation time for multiple Disneyland weekends since I live on the East Coast.

My initial thought when booking was that if the race doesn't happen then we'd have a nice Disneyland vacation, but then panic ensued once I considered they may change the race date. I think I'm just going to cancel everything and patiently wait and stop looking at travel deals. hahahaha

I have only reserved a hotel, which has free cancelation up until 5 days prior. I'd like to fly down, but most likely will drive, so that is flexible for me.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold off on flights.

I have only reserved a hotel, which has free cancelation up until 5 days prior. I'd like to fly down, but most likely will drive, so that is flexible for me.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold off on flights.

Yeah I just cancelled everything. Thank goodness for Hotwires 24 hour cancellation!
And now, to continue waiting impatiently :snail:

Yeah I just cancelled everything. Thank goodness for Hotwires 24 hour cancellation!
And now, to continue waiting impatiently :snail:

I'm itching to get going on flights too. I have the room already just in case but I've seen some awesome rates for flights that I want to jump on. It's very frustrating!

I'm itching to get going on flights too. I have the room already just in case but I've seen some awesome rates for flights that I want to jump on. It's very frustrating!

It truly is. Hopefully there will be an announcement this month like they said in a post a while ago. Especially since training should start next month!!

I hadn't thought of the possible implications to dark side. Some people signed up hopeingbto get the coast to coast medal. Would runDisney refund the people who no longer wanted to do dark side if there were no light side?

Honestly, I'm going to bug them until I get a refund or a credit for my Dark Side registration if they do cancel this race. I live about 30 minutes from Disneyland, so to fly all the way to the east coast for a race that's isn't as good is just silly to me. I love doing the coast to coast Star Wars, but I'd much rather do the Avengers or another west coast race.

I have a feeling if they do cancel this, there will be some kind of option given, even if it's unofficial.

I have a feeling if they do cancel this, there will be some kind of option given, even if it's unofficial.

Well of course there will be options for those already registered for Light Side. We can use the 2017 WDW Half as a guide for what they would offer as compensation. If memory serves me correctly, it was one of the following:
  • (2) one day park hoppers
  • Refund of the registration fees but via gift card only
  • Transfer to another rD event
  • Transfer to the full (not applicable in this case)
Playing devil's advocate here:
I wouldn't imagine they would allow a refund for the Dark Side if they cancelled the Light Side. As I stated before, they have never officially said that a Kessel or CtC would be available in 2018 so for someone to want a refund because of something was never officially announced would be the calling to deaf ears.

Last edited:
Well of course there will be options for those already registered for Light Side. We can use the 2017 WDW Half as a guide for what they would offer as compensation. If memory serves me correctly, it was one of the following:
  • (2) one day park hoppers
  • Refund of the registration fees but via gift card only
  • Transfer to another rD event
  • Transfer to the full (not applicable in this case)
Playing devil's advocate here:
I wouldn't imagine they would allow a refund for the Dark Side if they cancelled the Light Side. As I stated before, they have never officially said that a Kessel or CtC would be available in 2018 so for someone to want a refund because of something was never officially announced would be the calling to deaf ears.

I think the 2017 WDW Half situation was a bit different because the race was canceled due to weather, after people had arrived for the race. If they're canceling the race before the actual event, I'd just want my money back, plus all the money I spent on merchandise and fees. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

ETA :
Oops, just realized that the comment above was directed at those who have signed up for the Dark Side in anticipation of the Light Side run. But I hope they'd just refund Light Side money if cancelled.

We did go ahead and book a room for that weekend. Truth is, we'll likely go that weekend no matter what just because my kids have a four day weekend plus with the end of term, we usually sneak another day in there. It's also the last chance we'll have to go before our AP's expire and I don't know that we are renewing. Still hoping to run though!

Tink would be the same issue. I doubt they will do much but if you had people wanted to get the special C2C medals and you don't have the races you are going to have some upset people.

That's interesting about C2C. I was curious so I went to the site. No doubt most people, including me, assumed they'd keep doing it (with or without Kessel Run), but they only show the tabs for 2016 and 2017 on the website. I don't know when they have historically updated for the coming year, but the DL hold up could be holding up the 2018 tab, too. In that case, I would assume they would not do any kind of refund or deference based on not offering it, as they have not officially announced it. That would really stink for anyone hoping for one or both, but could be the case.

That's interesting about C2C. I was curious so I went to the site. No doubt most people, including me, assumed they'd keep doing it (with or without Kessel Run), but they only show the tabs for 2016 and 2017 on the website. I don't know when they have historically updated for the coming year, but the DL hold up could be holding up the 2018 tab, too. In that case, I would assume they would not do any kind of refund or deference based on not offering it, as they have not officially announced it. That would really stink for anyone hoping for one or both, but could be the case.

My last 2 posts in this thread stressed this exact point. I'm going to assume that they'll offer it again, but if they don't I'm not going to complain or ask for any refunds as I know it was never officially announced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts