Official 2018 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend - Cancelled

At this point I have to say, I'm pretty sure they lost me for 2018. I was going to go for my blue coast to coast with princess and DS wanted to run the 5k in Cali but I have lost a lot of excitement now waiting with no word of anything. I'm certain that if rundisney had anything to say they probably would have said it, which makes me think it might be somewhat out of their hands. Maybe I'm being pessimistic for nothing but perhaps for me, 2018 light side was not meant to be.

At this point I have to say, I'm pretty sure they lost me for 2018. I was going to go for my blue coast to coast with princess and DS wanted to run the 5k in Cali but I have lost a lot of excitement now waiting with no word of anything. I'm certain that if rundisney had anything to say they probably would have said it, which makes me think it might be somewhat out of their hands. Maybe I'm being pessimistic for nothing but perhaps for me, 2018 light side was not meant to be.

We've lost a lot of excitement too. We already are committed to dark side but I've already started thinking of either replacing the DL trip with something else or extending our WDW trip. So many possibilities!

After my post last night I felt I should add that I love love LOVE the California races. So I plan to do one again (and hopefully light side as the timing for that weekend works out so well for us).

Make no mistake, we are very into doing this particular race! Just frustrated with what's happening, or not happening.

They are coming pretty close to having lost me too. I was going to do this with Dopey as my C2C, but I am now looking at options to spend more time on the East Coast that week instead.

If they ever do open it - I doubt it will sell out at this point either. Too many people upset!

You guys are just being silly. The people that are upset are a small minority right now. It will sell out just as well as previous years. A lot of locals do this race and you don't need to plan out that far in advance.

You guys are just being silly. The people that are upset are a small minority right now. It will sell out just as well as previous years. A lot of locals do this race and you don't need to plan out that far in advance.

It didn't sell out this past year - the chances of it selling out next year are low, especially looking at recent history for Disneyland races. People were able to buy bibs at the Expo this year (my local Fit2Run employee that was working the event did so as he didn't get one of the Fit2Run allocated runner bibs)

Have you read the facebook groups? Its more than a small minority.

While a lot of locals do the race, a lot of people also travel. My husband and I are legacy and are from Southwest Florida. My other legacy friends come from MA, OH, FL, etc.

Kids, 5k, 10k will sell out. Half won't and Challenge is a maybe. It's not because of this delay that all the races won't sell out, it's because this is the 4th year of the race. I have friends that have ran it the last 3 years and almost all of them are a maybe for 2018. Some of them didn't even know the registration was planned to be earlier than June this year.

IMHO, many people have gotten their medals and it was fun, but it's not fresh and exciting anymore.

At this point, I might be out, too. I was really hoping to do both 2018 races, but I've had to make plans for other early 2018 trips, too, coordinating things with extended family. Now my schedule and wallet aren't looking good for this one. It might have been different with any sort of update, but months of zero news has made it really difficult. Sigh.

I think what sells out, if anything, is gonna depend on what happens by September. SWLS is not gonna sell out based on locals only. And my thoughts are that early September is probably the latest people are going to be willing to wait to book flights. I'm sure some runners have already decided to move on and register for something else. But I also think theres a group of loyal runners who are, like me, still hoping the announcement will be made soon. And as for an announcement I really think rundisney doesn't have an answer yet. IMO They haven't taken the dates down off the website because they are still trying to make this happen. And you know they want our money! I'm pretty sure they'll announce something as soon as they know the race can move forward.

I just have this gut feeling that they won't announce anything or open registratiom until after Disneyland weekend. I think its a matter of the city of Anaheim not giving a permit until rundisney can show they can get the streets open earlier. The earlier start time for all races at 5:00 am and other things planned by rundisney for that weekend is probably a way to show Anaheim that they can get the streets open. I have no info but I actually think Anaheim may be holding up the permits until rundisney shows them at disneyland weekend that they can get the streets open, esp for the half. I wouldn't be surprised that disneyland weekend will see a lot more sweeps of the slow runners and stricter enforcement of the pace requirement by them. I think if you are having problems meeting the pace requirement then you need to train more and harder as I would not expect rundisney to be not so nice about sweeping runners in these races now.

Last edited:
I just have this gut feeling that they won't announce anything or open registratiom until after Disneyland weekend. I think its a matter of the city of Anaheim not giving a permit until rundisney can show they can get the streets open earlier. The earlier start time for all races at 5:00 am and other things planned by rundisney for that weekend is probably a way to show Anaheim that they can get the streets open. I have no info but I actually think Anaheim may be holding up the permits until rundisney shows them at disneyland weekend that they can get the streets open, esp for the half. I wouldn't be surprised that disneyland weekend will see a lot more sweeps of the slow runners and stricter enforcement of the pace requirement by them. I think if you are having problems meeting the pace requirement then you need to train more and harder as I would not expect rundisney to be so nice about sweeping runners in these races now.

From what I've heard, the current Anaheim City Council is fairly anti-Disney, so while I hate the idea of them not giving us any information before September, this makes a lot of sense. I really hope they can get this all figured out sooner rather than later.

I just have this gut feeling that they won't announce anything or open registratiom until after Disneyland weekend. I think its a matter of the city of Anaheim not giving a permit until rundisney can show they can get the streets open earlier. The earlier start time for all races at 5:00 am and other things planned by rundisney for that weekend is probably a way to show Anaheim that they can get the streets open. I have no info but I actually think Anaheim may be holding up the permits until rundisney shows them at disneyland weekend that they can get the streets open, esp for the half. I wouldn't be surprised that disneyland weekend will see a lot more sweeps of the slow runners and stricter enforcement of the pace requirement by them. I think if you are having problems meeting the pace requirement then you need to train more and harder as I would not expect rundisney to be so nice about sweeping runners in these races now.

This was my exact thinking as well.

It's going to be tight to get POT submission and registration done. I really have no idea if they can pull this off in time, especially if they cutoff registrations in December. But who knows.

This was my exact thinking as well.

It's going to be tight to get POT submission and registration done. I really have no idea if they can pull this off in time, especially if they cutoff registrations in December. But who knows.
Yup. What you guy are thinking makes sense.
Training plan for light side usually starts in September too, right? So it would be just enough time to pull it all off. Very tight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter