Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Note to self. I really need to stop signing up for races spur of the moment. Early last week ago I decided to run Avengers next weekend in case it's the last runDisney event at Disneyland ever and begin training that day.

Well today, I successfully convinced myself that next year will be the last Dark Side race to take place after April 15th and therefore signed up for the First Order Challenge today.
Dark Side is moved up in 2019 due to Easter

signed up my son through a TA for the 10k and i think i'm going to go and do the challenge. i had to miss the Wine and Dine this year do to an injury. I'm super excited can't wait. Now time to pick out some costumes. We've done the done 10k each year so far.

I was absolutely positively not going to run anything for Dark Side next year. Well, now I am. My 4-year old ran the Mickey Mile for the third time this past weekend and told me he's ready to move up to the 5k. He turns 5 in December so he'll be old enough, and he comes with me on my shorter training runs so I don't think the distance will be too tough, especially since I'll be there to pace him. I signed him up, and then decided to sign myself up using a charity, which is a first for me. So now we're both in for 5k, and I'm guessing I'll probably end up signing up for the half too. So much for skipping this event!

It's my first Dark Side race(my first Disney race, period), and my hashtag will be #PleaseDon'tLetMeDieOutHere
Before my very first half, I had to repeatedly tell myself to trust the training plan and hope that it would even work for me. I also quoted Worf from Star Trek quite a bit.

Same for me. First half. And first 10K is in a few weeks.

I'm diving in head-first, it seems.
No, you're thinking about what you've gotten yourself into. When I signed up for my first half, it never even occurred to me that I should try a shorter distance first.

Dark Side is moved up in 2019 due to Easter
Shh. You're interfering with my line of thinking that lead me to justify signing up for Dark Side 2018. That said, the 2019 is a definite no go for me.

I was bummed when I saw how early DS was in 2019 but then I looked and it is during the kids' spring break. This will make planning a little easier and I'm pretty excited that the girls can run their first Disney 5ks.

I need to get my head in the game and run more. 2018 DS is still so far away - it's hard to focus. So instead, I've been changing dining reservations and constantly looking at hotel switches. You know, the important stuff ;)

And to King Llama - really, trust your training plan! I really do enjoy the Darkside races.

Questions to past runners re:costumes

1) do people tend to go straight Star Wars or is there a good amount of General Disney/Crossover looks

2) do people tend to favor Dark Side characters or is there an even balance of Light Side characters

1) do people tend to go straight Star Wars or is there a good amount of General Disney/Crossover looks

2) do people tend to favor Dark Side characters or is there an even balance of Light Side characters

1) Some of both, but it definitely leans more toward SW. LOTS of SW-Disney mashups.
2) I'd guess it's very close to 50/50!

Hello

I am really considering doing the First Order Challenge but am finding a reasonable on property hotel hard. The price was about £80 cheaper yesterday than it is today! Do the hotel prices normally fluctuate so much at this of year? Any hints or tips on when to book a hotel for the races?

Many thanks in advance xxx

I just signed up for half mile dark side. I'm so excited, this will be my first runDisney event. My question is about family and where they can be wait for you. We will be staying at an Epcot resort, so I thought maybe if the course goes by the boardwalk he will be able to see lots of action there, but can he walk to the finish line if the park isn't open? or would he have to wait till the race is over (he will have a park pass)? Is there a holding area for family at the finish line that would be a better? He is a great photographer so I would love for him to have a good spot to take lots of pictures. Thanks!

Predominantly Star Wars characters with some Disney mashups and a few Disney only costumes. But you'll also see some non Disney runners having fun. I saw a runner at Dark Side dressed as Captain Picard form Star Trek and a few wizards from Harry Potter. I'm running as Batman at the upcoming Avengers Half and if I can find a Yoda backpack in the parks, I'm running as Batman getting trained by Yoda.

Hello

I am really considering doing the First Order Challenge but am finding a reasonable on property hotel hard. The price was about £80 cheaper yesterday than it is today! Do the hotel prices normally fluctuate so much at this of year? Any hints or tips on when to book a hotel for the races?

Many thanks in advance xxx
Have you tried a travel agent? Sometimes they can get discount rates because they're able to buy a big block of rooms from Disney.

I just signed up for half mile dark side. I'm so excited, this will be my first runDisney event. My question is about family and where they can be wait for you. We will be staying at an Epcot resort, so I thought maybe if the course goes by the boardwalk he will be able to see lots of action there, but can he walk to the finish line if the park isn't open? or would he have to wait till the race is over (he will have a park pass)? Is there a holding area for family at the finish line that would be a better? He is a great photographer so I would love for him to have a good spot to take lots of pictures. Thanks!
There were quite a few spectators last year along the Boardwalk area of Epcot. I think there are bleachers set up near the finish line, but those might also be reserved for spectators who purchase the chEAR Squad packages to cheer on their runners.

I did all three Princess races last year and my family stayed at Boardwalk. The 10K course went along the Boardwalk and around the lake. They were able to come out on the balcony and see me run! You're correct that they can not cut through the park before the park is open, and with road closures getting to the finish line after seeing you at the Boardwalk may be tricky at best. I would suggest they choose one or the other, and if photos are a priority, there will be much more room and less crowding around the Boardwalk. Spectators can be right next to the runners on the storefront/hotel side of the path, and you could even "pull over" to the side and take some posed pictures. There are bleachers at the finish line but it is very crowded and busy so photos wouldn't be great from there. Photopass photographers are in the best position there. There IS a family meeting area past the finish, but they need to leave the bleacher area to get to it. It's right where you come out after going through all the finish line chute stuff.

Thanks for the help... I have a few mash up ideas now let’s see if they make it from my brain to the start line

Thanks for the help... I have a few mash up ideas now let’s see if they make it from my brain to the start line
Here are memorable costumes I remember from various Star Wars races. I've ran all three Rebel Challenges and the 2017 Dark Side Challenge. Some are mashups, others are very creative, still others are simple, and still more come from other movies set in space. I am deliberately omitting "easy" human Star Wars characters.

Elsa Fett complete with Han Solo frozen in carbonite on her backpack.
Darth Olaf with the back of Darth Vader's helmet and a carrot nose
Minnie2-D2 (R2-D2 colors with Minnie Mouse)
Jabba the Hutt (why you would run in that costume is another matter)
Jawas
X-Wing pilots with the R2-D2 plush backpacks
Tinker Bell Stormtroopers with pixie wings attached to armor
Tinker Bell Jedi with Tink green Jedi robes and shoes
Monsters Inc Star Wars mashup group. I especially remember Sully with Chewie's bandolier made up of scream canisters.
Barf from Spaceballs
Dark Helmet from Spaceballs
Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World
Motion capture performance suit (black with white cotton puffs)
Darth Goofy with Goofy hat and Vader armor shirt
Countless variations of Ewoks
Darth Vader Fanboy Kylo Ren (this was my costume). All black with Kylo Ren's lightsaber and the Vader mouse ears winter hat they used to sell in the parks with Vader stitched across the back. A few runners were "angry" with me after what Kylo Ren did to Han Solo and a few others laughed when I explained the Darth Vader fanboy part.
C-3PO
Star Trek characters

This group consists of funny things on the back of shirts, capes, etc.

I find my lack of speed disturbing.
If found, please return me to Kylo Ren.
Many Bothans died waking up this early.
What was I thinking a long time ago. . .
In a corral far, far away. . . .

Last edited:
I'm planning to recycle my Darth Elsa from Princess 2017!
Can you post a picture? I'd love to see that. I sort of wish I had asked Elsa Fett if I could take a picture of her since her costume was so cool.

I'm considering updating my 2012 Wine & Dine Half Prince Phillip costume to Jedi Knight Prince Phillip. Basically involves me running with a lightsaber and maybe having some reference to Star Wars and Sleeping Beauty on my cape.

Sure @Sleepless Knight

16938944_10154402947047157_2887232232303207672_n.jpg

I had the top and cape made on Etsy. The skirt is from sparkleskirts(dot com). The headband has a blue, black and white darth vader pattern.

during the kids' spring break

Ugh. Us DINKs are not looking forward to that!

We have gone as Galaxy Quest, Mork & Mindy, and Star Trek. But that is our sense of humor...

We have gone as Galaxy Quest, Mork & Mindy, and Star Trek. But that is our sense of humor...
That's awesome. While my first franchise loyalty always has been and always will be Star Wars, I have no problem with people having fun with costumes for this race outside the theme or in completely different franchises. I myself am running as Batman (possibly being trained by a certain diminutive Jedi Master if I can find the backpack in the parks this weekend) at Avengers.

This group consists of funny things on the back of shirts, capes, etc.

I find my lack of speed disturbing.
If found, please return me to Kylo Ren.
Many Bothans died waking up this early.
What was I thinking a long time ago. . .
In a corral far, far away. . . .

I had "Are you surprised we lied about the cookies? - Dark Side" on my back :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts