"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

Hubby and I decided to make a quick trip in September (only two months to plan, yikes!) and do MNSSHP for the first time! My question is: which direction does the parade take? I'm assuming its the same route as MSEP used to be, but is it Frontierland to Main Street or the other way around? Is there a better viewing location? We always watched MSEP from Frontierland and we don't watch FoF parade every trip to have a favorite location for that.

I really hate to be negative here, so please forgive me. I would keep expectations pretty low for Disney to do anything “different” for the parade folks. The chances of this going smoothly in practice - at least for the first night or two - are quite low in my opinion. Having done enough of these various dessert party and other special deals in the MK, it would seem to me to be the makings of a classic right hand/left hand situation.

Again, sorry to be negative, maybe all will go well - I’d just keep a very open mind just in case.
I tend to agree. And keeping the desserts available longer (ie after the fireworks) just takes away from party time, so would not appeal to most, I think.

The Hocus Pocus show is a BIG priority for my family. We love the movie and there's nothing like this show at Disneyland where we usually attend the Halloween parties. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer. First, is it necessary to be in the front of the viewing area to have a good view (particularly for a 7-year-old) ? Is the stage fairly elevated? And which of the four showtimes would be best to find a good spot for? If we were to find a curbside spot on Main Street for the second parade, would it be easy to make our way up to wait for the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular?

Edited because I realized that the second parade is after the last Spelltacular, not before. Are all the main street spots filled up by the time the last Hocus Pocus show finishes?

Last edited:
Oh yes! The chocolate covered strawberries are usually the first to go!
Hmmm that’s pretty upsetting. It wasn’t cheap to get the dessert party so I would expect them to fully stock the desserts and keep stocking them. I may be cancelling after reviews from the first couple parties.

The Hocus Pocus show is a BIG priority for my family. We love the movie and there's nothing like this show at Disneyland where we usually attend the Halloween parties. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could answer. First, is it necessary to be in the front of the viewing area to have a good view (particularly for a 7-year-old) ? Is the stage fairly elevated? And which of the four showtimes would be best to find a good spot for? If we were to find a curbside spot on Main Street for the second parade, would it be easy to make our way up to wait for the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular?

Edited because I realized that the second parade is after the last Spelltacular, not before. Are all the main street spots filled up by the time the last Hocus Pocus show finishes?
The stage is elevated, so you don’t need to be super close, but obviously the closer you are to the castle, the better your view. If you can hang on until the last showing, it will be the least crowded and the easiest to get a good spot.

ETA, the last show is at midnight, so would be after the second parade. Just make your way to the hub at the end of the night.

With these parade times confirmed, I would just like to reiterate my new parade philosophy: which is to see the first one.

I always used to advocate seeing the second parade, but now that it is that last hour of the party I just can't recommend it. The final hour is when a lot of character, candy and attraction lines really lighten up.

Also, if you see the second parade, and you're not at the start of the parade, the party is basically over. There isn't much time to do anything else after it ends.

Agreed. We did this last October and it worked out excellently

Hubby and I decided to make a quick trip in September (only two months to plan, yikes!) and do MNSSHP for the first time! My question is: which direction does the parade take? I'm assuming its the same route as MSEP used to be, but is it Frontierland to Main Street or the other way around? Is there a better viewing location? We always watched MSEP from Frontierland and we don't watch FoF parade every trip to have a favorite location for that.

It starts in Frontierland. Many people prefer to watch it there because you’re done with it quicker and the seats don’t fill as fast as the ones on Main Street

You should go here, all Entertainment times and their duration have been posted: Post #3

Have they already confirmed the Hallowishes fireworks time? I just don't see how they can keep the parade at 9:15, give people parade viewing, and allow them to have enough time to get back to the Terrace, enjoy desserts, and watch the fireworks.

It starts in Frontierland. Many people prefer to watch it there because you’re done with it quicker and the seats don’t fill as fast as the ones on Main Street
Great, thanks!

You should go here, all Entertainment times and their duration have been posted: Post #3
Perfect! I never saw that thread before and I can't wait to read through it.

I really hate to be negative here, so please forgive me. I would keep expectations pretty low for Disney to do anything “different” for the parade folks. The chances of this going smoothly in practice - at least for the first night or two - are quite low in my opinion. Having done enough of these various dessert party and other special deals in the MK, it would seem to me to be the makings of a classic right hand/left hand situation.

Again, sorry to be negative, maybe all will go well - I’d just keep a very open mind just in case.

I completely agree. I think if there were more parade viewers, Disney would try to work out a way to accommodate us, but since there are so few of us means that we are definitely going to be an afterthought and kind of on our own.

I’m my opinion, with the release of the parade times, this all but confirms that the parade viewing accommodation that will be made for the early booking dessert party folks will be for the second parade. It just won’t work for the first. And that’s unfortunately a deal breaker for keeping the dessert party reservation and not what was advertised at the time of booking. Way too much time involved in going to the party, watching fireworks, and then going to the reserved area for the parade.....the nights over at that point.

I’m my opinion, with the release of the parade times, this all but confirms that the parade viewing accommodation that will be made for the early booking dessert party folks will be for the second parade. It just won’t work for the first. And that’s unfortunately a deal breaker for keeping the dessert party reservation and not what was advertised at the time of booking. Way too much time involved in going to the party, watching fireworks, and then going to the reserved area for the parade.....the nights over at that point.

They (CMs) have been adamant it’s viewing for the first parade. I look at it this way... they agreed to give us what they said they would. That doesn’t mean what they promised will be a true benefit. But they will provide what they promised. And Taking advantage of parade viewing will mean missing a significant (or all of the) time for dessert eating. But we can all decide what is important to us. I suspect most of us, me included, will wind up cancelling.

Essentially they are offering us to get parade viewing in exchange for having time to eat any desserts.

The timing never made sense. It’s why everyone was skeptical the parade viewing was actually included.

Have they already confirmed the Hallowishes fireworks time? I just don't see how they can keep the parade at 9:15, give people parade viewing, and allow them to have enough time to get back to the Terrace, enjoy desserts, and watch the fireworks.

I think the issue is that they never intended parade viewing to be a part of the package. Someone messed up with the wording when they first posted it. So things won't be scheduled to leave time for that because it was never intended to be included.

They (CMs) have been adamant it’s viewing for the first parade. I look at it this way... they agreed to give us what they said they would.

No. They were NOT adamant about viewing for the first parade; they were "adamant" about nothing other than there would be some sort of parade viewing, but did tell many of us that it was their PREFERENCE and they were PLANNING for the viewing to be for the first parade dependent on one HUGE CAVEAT.......the release of the parade start times! This is two completely different things. I was one of initial few folks who questioned the parade timing with guest services and was told that if the times don't work out, the viewing WILL BE for the 2nd parade. Well, the parade times are now official, and guess what, the timing doesn't work!

But they will provide what they promised. And Taking advantage of parade viewing will mean missing a significant (or all of the) time for dessert eating.

I respectfully disagree again as this statement is completely contradictory. What was clearly promised in the initial description was parade, party, and fireworks in that order, simple as that. It's the only reason we booked it. As I said in my previous post, with the release of the parade times yesterday, it's clear they can't provide what they promised. And based on that timing, I believe they will now offer the parade viewing for the 2nd parade. Why would anybody pay $80 for a dessert party that they are going to miss over half of because they are at the parade during the party time?

I have no reason to think they'd change it to the 2nd parade, all the CMs that spoke to us all said 1st.
I see them telling us Terrace pp we can stay longer after the fireworks, but I don't need a lot of time with desserts. As long as we can grab a plate full, and enjoy them while watching the fireworks from our table, we are fine. So I wont cancel. I really just wanted the views, without having to stake a spot, especially with it being the 1st night and possibly packed with bloggers.
Not sure how they do it for the garden view pp.
But, yes, I see where it may not work for others. Us 1st party pp will take one for the team. :)

Yep, I think it's any changes including modifying an existing one too. Including if you book a RR for 7 days and plan on really being there for only 4 days but you booked thinking you could secure FP's earlier. Once you change your RR your account is flagged.

Thanks for all of the FP input! One more question - we are not going to change our hotel or length of stay. But we are planning to change our meal plan and cancel the park hopper. Do you think that will mess with our FPs? Should we make those changes before doing FPs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter