"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been scrolling through this thread but can't find an answer to my question - how does DAH affect the crowds in MK during the day?
Is it similar to a party night in terms of possibly lower crowds? Or more like EMH, meaning likely higher crowds?
Thanks!

I've been scrolling through this thread but can't find an answer to my question - how does DAH affect the crowds in MK during the day?
Is it similar to a party night in terms of possibly lower crowds? Or more like EMH, meaning likely higher crowds?
Thanks!

I don’t think it affected crowds at all when we went on 2/15. The park closed at the “normal for February” hour of 9 PM, so not early like a party night, and it’s a paid event so doesn’t draw resort guests like EMH does. That said, we didn’t arrive until nearly 6:30, so we couldn’t assess the crowds like someone who arrived earlier could do.

Hey all! I have been addicted to this thread for a long time leading up to my 2/15 party so I thought I should chime in on my thoughts for those still waiting for these last parties.

We got a later start than I'd planned ("You're only as fast as the slowest one in your group.") and didn't get into the park- until almost 7 I think...
We took the train to Frontierland where we had a FP immediately nearby for Pirates. We also had one for Splash but decided to head towards Tommorowland instead of using that one.
Once we hit the hub, the full scope of the crowds for that day hit us. Our group decided to stay put for the 20 minutes or so until showtime for HEA (we weren't coming back to MK on the trip so it was now or never).
After the show we headed to Tommorowland and unfortunately, found out COP was CLOSED.
My other "must" for Tommorowland is People Mover and the crowds were insane- there was no way I was going to wait for those.
We decided to hit the 20 minute line for Buzz and after it was done, the party was officially ON and we walked right onto Space Mountain after some light shopping.
After Space, we went to a food cart and we headed to Fantasyland.
We did Peter Pan w/15 minute wait and walked past the still crazy line for 7DMT.
We hit another snack cart and then met Tiana, Rapunzel, Ariel, and rode Under the Sea. We passed through the castle and took some pix and headed to Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain with a stop at the Magic Carpets on the way.
On the way back through Adventureland, our party separated and my daughter and I rode Jungle Cruise while our friends headed to 7DMT.
Another snack stop somewhere in there... A MILLION PEE BREAKS THANKS TO THE FREE FLOWING BEVERAGES OH MY GOODNESS....
We met back up at 7DMT and our friends rode a 2nd time while we rode it for the 1st time. One last snack break and than back to the castle for photos before heading out of the park.

My thoughts... are that while fun, it wasn't worth the $ on such an insanely busy day (Presidents Day Weekend) as those "open-park" hours of 7-9 were prohibitively swamped. I bought my tickets WAAAAAY back in November and at the time, thoroughly believed we'd be getting in at 4 as with the Halloween parties I've attended in the past. We also only could find TWO popcorn carts, although ice cream and beverages were everywhere. So for me personally, it was a bust. I 100% feel that if Disney made this a 4pm entry than it would be a much better value.

Also as for crowd size- it was not an "empty" park by any means, except for Adventureland around 10:30 or so there was nearly no one around us. If you are on Instagram- you can find me w/username @julezdisney and I did put together a HIGHLIGHTS titled DAH! for the party. NOTE: You do have to be on the Instagram app to see highlights, they can't be viewed from a desktop.

Thanks to all in this group that kept the lead-up to our party night so fun w/all their updates (for me, that was almost more fun! LOL!!)

Last edited:
Committed sacrilege and got a HEA Dessert Party (Garden Plaza) prior to 3/8 DAH. Neither of us have ever seen Happily Ever After, and for our next MK night we'll be dining at Be Our Guest at fireworks time.
This is kind of a once in a lifetime (or, once until I get some student loans paid off) trip so... I figured it'd be worth it, even if it does 'eat into' some DAH time.

Committed sacrilege and got a HEA Dessert Party (Garden Plaza) prior to 3/8 DAH. Neither of us have ever seen Happily Ever After, and for our next MK night we'll be dining at Be Our Guest at fireworks time.
This is kind of a once in a lifetime (or, once until I get some student loans paid off) trip so... I figured it'd be worth it, even if it does 'eat into' some DAH time.
I don’t think it’s such a sacrilege when it’s a 7:55 HEA and 9pm park close. I would just say maybe go to the east (tomorrow or fantasyland) after HEA because it’s a pain to cross past the hub. Then after crowds die down you can get to frontier/adventure/liberty square.

We also did Feb. 9th last year and I was stunned at how crowded it was on 2/8 this year. It was still great fun, but the whole "no using Fast Pass lines" and allowing non-DAH guests to stay in the park detracted from the experience. I'll still probably do it again next year, though.

I didn’t really notice non-DAH guests in the ride lines...maybe they lingered after park close in the shops, etc.

@GADisneyDad14 - I’m late to the party, but I hope you had a fabulous birthday!!!

I didn’t really notice non-DAH guests in the ride lines...maybe they lingered after park close in the shops, etc.

I didn't say they were in the lines (except in the FP line for 7DMT at 8:30, as noted by me), but they were allowed to stay in the park, like I said, taking away the "man, this park is empty" feeling we got last year.

I didn't say they were in the lines (except in the FP line for 7DMT at 8:30, as noted by me), but they were allowed to stay in the park, like I said, taking away the "man, this park is empty" feeling we got last year.

My point was that even if there were still people in the park, I never saw anyone in the ride lines, which I think is an important distinction. How did they do things differently last year? Do you think that it was maybe because the parks were just really crowded in general? I was also surprised and disappointed with the number of people in the park during DAH. I think it was simply because they sold more tickets. I know our night wasn’t a “sell out” but I have to believe it was fairly close. I wish they DID do a sweep of the park at the official park closing time, but I doubt that will happen.

We're down to single digits! Leaving March 7th to begin birthday celebration with a Boathouse dinner followed by DAH on March 8th. Fireworks on my 60th! If your group is there and spot us, please say hello. Would love meeting other Disboard members

Attachments

• IMG_20180226_084836.jpg
    IMG_20180226_084836.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
My point was that even if there were still people in the park, I never saw anyone in the ride lines, which I think is an important distinction. How did they do things differently last year? Do you think that it was maybe because the parks were just really crowded in general? I was also surprised and disappointed with the number of people in the park during DAH. I think it was simply because they sold more tickets. I know our night wasn’t a “sell out” but I have to believe it was fairly close. I wish they DID do a sweep of the park at the official park closing time, but I doubt that will happen.

So our points were different. Honestly, short ride lines are merely a bonus for me. I don't even go to the World for rides and haven't since I was a teenager. I go for atmosphere and Disney magic. I can't count the number of times I've gone to a park and not bothered with a single ride.

I'd love to see this hard ticket event treated like other hard ticket events like MVMCP and MNSSHP. Don't have a lanyard? You'll have to leave. Every cast member is empowered to tell you this, and I've seen many people turned away and directed toward the exit for not having a badge at the other parties. If we pay for an event touted as being low numbers those low numbers should be part of the experience.

Sorry, but what time are we actually allowed to enter?
Anyone have a time on that?
We're busing from BC/YC.
Or maybe we should Uber to Contemporary to save time...
(We have a Yachtsman early dinner ADR)
TIA

ETA: am I allowed to make fast passes with just my ticket, as for MVMCP?

We're busing from BC/YC.
TIA

People have reported that CMs will start scanning/handing out lanyards at 6ish. I think the earliest report I've seen is 5:50pm.

We're busing from BC/YC.
TIA

ETA: am I allowed to make fast passes with just my ticket, as for MVMCP?
To answer your other question, I was able to schedule FPs for jungle cruise, haunted mansion, and splash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter