Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

I don't think there's anything suspicious at all. The race weekend has been open since before Christmas, IIRC, and some of the races have been showing as sold out and popping back open for limited times. That's not selling out so fast, that's just the tail end of the bib supply being exhausted. It seems more like a case of RunDisney having their bulk of bibs sold and getting limited quantities back from TAs or charities and releasing them for general sale.

It wouldn't take much to exhaust bibs under those circumstances and we have no way of knowing if the races were open with 5 bibs available or 500. It make absolutely no sense for RunDisney to stop sales of available bibs this close to the event. If they had permit issues they would have suspended registration a long time ago, like they did with Light Side.

Ultimately I think we're all letting our imaginations run wild because of Light Side having delayed registration and some of the Tink experiments that didn't go well. It's also worth keeping in mind that Light Side registration had not yet opened at this point last year, so while there's been a delay it certainly hasn't shortened the typical registration window at this point.
Another possibility is a surge of registrations from Tinker Bell runners utilizing the discounts that were offered. They were offering discounts for Disneyland and Super Heroes at the Expo (that finally got me to sign up for Infinity Gauntlet), and the Tink virtual goody bag had a discount code for the Disneyland Half and challenge.

Reminder!! Proof of Time is due Tuesday. Go to Active now and check that you've submitted before you forget!!

Thank you! I checked and the link to my PoT was not in there. My PoT was there but not the link.

Hi everyone bought our DDD entry last week.Was sitting on the fence because Tink was crazy. I hope for the half there is some entertainment on the streets of Anaheim. Tink half other than the cheering groups nothing . Really disappointed I have ran Tink 3 years in a row this was a really different run. Hope that DL half still has the car show and Angeles Stadium. I'm bringing a friend for her first run at Disneyland, I told her all about previous years hope it is the same. Tink was not , I had brought a different girlfriend told her all about the entertainment didn't happen. Security was crazy hope they sort it out for DL.

Signed up for the 5k as my first ever official run!! I'm a newer runner (although I've recently dropped 30 pounds and have been working out consistently for several months.) I'm getting my feet wet with the 5k and then hoping to do the Light Side 10k and then maybe next year's Tink half. I decided to err on the side of caution and just sign up for the 5k because I've always hated running in the past. Been loving it lately and can't wait to do my first run at Disneyland!

Signed up for the 5k as my first ever official run!! I'm a newer runner (although I've recently dropped 30 pounds and have been working out consistently for several months.) I'm getting my feet wet with the 5k and then hoping to do the Light Side 10k and then maybe next year's Tink half. I decided to err on the side of caution and just sign up for the 5k because I've always hated running in the past. Been loving it lately and can't wait to do my first run at Disneyland!
Last years 5k was my first 5k ever! trust me it is the best one to start with! it will get you hooked! I went from never running last year to doing my first 5k at disneyland to this weekend where I am running 2 different 5's in 2 different cities! Saturday is in San Jose, CA and Sunday is in Sacramento.

Welcome to the running community!

With the races "sold out" I sense no urgency for medal release. I think we may have s repeat of July/August like last year. Avengers still not sold out - those may come first but hopefully not.

Do we know what intervals the Galloway Pacers run?

I want to start pushing for the sub-2:30... why do I think it's 60/30?

Last edited:
This is what's used for the official Jeff Galloway Half and I think by extension is used for the other halfs they pace for: https://jeffgalloway131.com/jg-13-1-pacers/#.WTcziYEpDYU

Which does line up with 60/30 for a 2:30.

My last few runs at 60/30 have put me between a 2:27-2:29 finish, which is ideal. I think I may actually run with the Galloway pacers at Disneyland Half and walk the 5K and 10K, taking lots of time for pictures and enjoy the moment.

I snagged one of the last available DDD bibs via RawThreads on Monday, after EVERY SINGLE charity, TA and RD suddenly went "Sold Out" on basically the same day.

After talking with a TA I use often, and a charity coordinator for a charity I run with - they both confirmed that RD offered them an out to give back bibs they hadn't sold yet with NO penalty, and after massive losses almost all TAs and Charities have taken on bibs so far this year, they all did it.

For people that are still interested in running, TAs and Charities can request more bibs but they're choosing to do them in groups of confirmed people - like, when the waiting list gets to 5 people, they'll charge cards and add more bibs.

PM me if you want more info.

There's definitely something going on with this Race Director and RDWest in regards to these race weekends.

I snagged one of the last available DDD bibs via RawThreads on Monday, after EVERY SINGLE charity, TA and RD suddenly went "Sold Out" on basically the same day.

After talking with a TA I use often, and a charity coordinator for a charity I run with - they both confirmed that RD offered them an out to give back bibs they hadn't sold yet with NO penalty, and after massive losses almost all TAs and Charities have taken on bibs so far this year, they all did it.

For people that are still interested in running, TAs and Charities can request more bibs but they're choosing to do them in groups of confirmed people - like, when the waiting list gets to 5 people, they'll charge cards and add more bibs.

There's definitely something going on with this Race Director and RDWest in regards to these race weekends.

And people didn't think anything suspcious when i posted this when it sold out all of a sudden... tsk tsk

5/25/17 - page 15
Anyone find this suspicious? How can race that was open for all these months just sellout so fast? Do you think its connected to the issues for delay in lightside? Permit issues? I think they may have just closed the registration and it did not necessarily sellout. I just have a bad feeling about the future of rundisney at dl

Last edited:

So glad you are doing this one!!

And people didn't think anything suspcious when i posted this when it sold out all of a sudden... tsk tsk

5/25/17 - page 15
Anyone find this suspicious? How can race that was open for all these months just sellout so fast? Do you think its connected to the issues for delay in lightside? Permit issues? I think they may have just closed the registration and it did not necessarily sellout. I just have a bad feeling about the future of rundisney at dl

Still don't think there's anything "suspicious" going on. This is not the first time we've heard of rD getting unsold bibs back from charities/TAs. It makes absolutely no sense that they suspend sales of bibs for a race that's been near sold out for some time now.

ETA: This is not to mean that I think that all is healthy at rD West right now. I think there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. I just think that this reaction to a race essentially selling out as it nears race day is jumping at shadows.

Saw this posted elsewhere but all Disneyland half weekend races start at 5:00am now, it's on the official rundisney.com
Avengers/Superheros as well it looks like too.

This is probably more evidence of the permit issues. They probably want to get people off the course as soon as possible to open up the streets. It probably gives more insight into the permit issues in that Anaheim wants to get streets open faster than what rundisney opens them at. I would think this means stricter enforcement of the pace limits leading to more sweeping and/or more of what you saw in tink half.... officials cutting the course during the race.

I also think that the tink 5k no character was not about the concern about sweeping people as they claimed, but i think it was an attempt to try and find a way to get people off the course faster due to permit issues for 2018 races. When social media erupted, they were forced to scrap the idea for the 10k and half.

It is well known that rundisney is fairly lenient on sweeping... they know that unlike other races, their race attracts more of the first time and/or not so fast people that do not keep up with the 16 minute requirement. They are lenient as this is their client base and they don't want to upset them by sweeping them. This means the streets of anaheim stay closed longer and the city of anaheim has had enough of this where they go through this four weekends in one year.

I think every thing is starting to point to the permit issue being the city of anaheim not wanting to keep streets closed so long for the back of the packers and rundisney is trying to find ways to get these people off the course faster so they can open the roads per city of anaheim wishes to get permits for 2018. Maybe anaheim is withholding 2018 permits until rundisney can show they can get these people off the course one way or another and get the roads open quicker.

Keeping it at 16 min per mile and starting earlier is another experiment as the character thing massively failed. If this doesn't work, the next experiment will be making pace requirement faster than 16 min per mile and/or stricter sweeping and/or more officials cutting the course mid-race (although that could get them in trouble with the USATF certification) Just my guess..

Last edited:
This is probably more evidence of the permit issues. They probably want to get people off the course as soon as possible to open up the streets. It probably gives more insight into the permit issues in that Anaheim wants to get streets open faster than what rundisney opens them at. I would think this means stricter enforcement of the pace limits leading to more sweeping and/or more of what you saw in tink half.... officials cutting the course during the race.

I also think that the tink 5k no character was not about the concern about sweeping people as they claimed, but i think it was an attempt to try and find a way to get people off the course faster due to permit issues for 2018 races. When social media erupted, they were forced to scrap the idea for the 10k and half.

It is well known that rundisney is fairly lenient on sweeping... they know that unlike other races, their race attracts more of the first time and/or not so fast people that do not keep up with the 16 minute requirement. They are lenient as this is their client base and they don't want to upset them by sweeping them. This means the streets of anaheim stay closed longer and the city of anaheim has had enough of this where they go through this four weekends in one year.

I think every thing is starting to point to the permit issue being the city of anaheim not wanting to keep streets closed so long for the back of the packers and rundisney is trying to find ways to get these people off the course faster so they can open the roads per city of anaheim wishes to get permits for 2018. Maybe anaheim is withholding 2018 permits until rundisney can show they can get these people off the course one way or another and get the roads open quicker.

Keeping it at 16 min per mile and starting earlier is another experiment as the character thing massively failed. If this doesn't work, the next experiment will be making pace requirement faster than 16 min per mile and/or stricter sweeping and/or more officials cutting the course mid-race (although that could get them in trouble with the USATF certification) Just my guess..

I had the same thought. As far as changes go, this one is a pretty minor inconvenience to runners and less likely to get the same backlash at the Tink experiment. And there will be people like me who actually prefer the earlier start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter