Off the beaten path

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
I’d like to hear suggestions for fun that don’t include many attractions. Our son must remain in his wheelchair and is too heavy for us to hold him. As many of you know that excludes many rides. Our daughter is mobile but has a very short attention span which reduces the odds of attending shows successfully. This trip is more for Mommy and Daddy and we’re mostly ok with walking around taking in the atmosphere. However, it would be nice to know if there are special things that would work for us. FWIW we will be taking Ciara on some things like Dumbo and Cinderella’s Carousel but for the most part we don’t want to split up.

my kids love playing in the fountains at epcot, theres one set over by mission space and another near the entrance to world showcase. the water comes up in jets out of the ground and the kids can run through it. bring a spare set of clothes! not as cool, but there are also some fountains in MK near jungle river cruise and others by barnstormer that my kids like. and the camel at the magic carpet ride in adventure land spits water, we always have to spend a couple minutes guessing where the next spit will land. but the epcot fountains are the best! in the world showcase theres a small area, not really a country, I think they call it the "Africa trading post" where there are drums the kids can bang on , and I always have to drag my daughters away from the drums. also drums in the Africa section of AK. Avatar is really neat to walk through in the evening with all the light effects. also in the evening theres an area in epcot near spaceship earth where there are lights embedded in the sidewalks, and both my daughters enjoy playing there. and there are often castmembers blowing bubbles in various places at epcot and mk, for some reason my daughters find the bubbles in Disney to be way cooler than bubbles at home, and will spend a good deal of time just chasing bubbles.

there are a number of rides that you can take a wheelchair on like

at the MK
Buz
Its a small world
pooh
jungle cruse
under the sea.

EPCOT
sea with nemo and friends
the mexico ride

also try some of the restaurants with great theming, my oldest loves the west wing in be our guest, and rainforest café is entertaining

Checking out the performances in the world showcase if you haven't done them might be great for you since you can come and go to watch them so they'd work well for your daughter's attention span. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom could be fun to do at MK as you walk around and check things out.

Depending on the time of year, there might also be fun, seasonal things to take in and do. Like Flower and Garden has a butterfly house that is pretty neat to check out, so keep an eye out for those things too.

I’d like to hear suggestions for fun that don’t include many attractions. Our son must remain in his wheelchair and is too heavy for us to hold him. As many of you know that excludes many rides. Our daughter is mobile but has a very short attention span which reduces the odds of attending shows successfully. This trip is more for Mommy and Daddy and we’re mostly ok with walking around taking in the atmosphere. However, it would be nice to know if there are special things that would work for us. FWIW we will be taking Ciara on some things like Dumbo and Cinderella’s Carousel but for the most part we don’t want to split up.

You don't need to be able to ride horses to enjoy the Trip-Circle-D ranch in Fort Wilderness. They have a large stable with Percherons you can go and look at, they are beautiful and charming! We will sometimes take a boat over and just go enjoy this area, check out the Percherons and look in the shops. It's quiet and relaxing. Plus there is Trail's End restaurant.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/tri-circle-d-ranch/
Another idea is to hop the monorails and explore each resort on the line.

Also in EPCOT the boat ride in the Land has a wheelchair boat and Figment's Journey into Imagination has a wheelchair car. In Animal Kingdom, the Safari has a wheelchair truck and the Wildlife Express Train to Rafiki's Planet Watch also has a wheelchair spot.

I am confused as to why you need to hold your son at rides. He should be able to take his wheelchair up to the ride vehicle, or very near it. Do you need to hold him on the ride itself?

They do the electrical water pageant down in the water near the magic kingdom at night. It's never too crowded and is right next to the buses and ferry so it' easy to leave if your daughter gets boted

The pool at your Resort may be a great place to spend time - and most pools should have a lift for your son to transfer in and out.

Pin trading - any CM should be happy to trade, and every Resort has a pin trading board (typically in the shop)

Smashed pennies - machines are all over WDW (including in many/most Resort lobbies & Disney Springs) and they make a great, inexpensive - and easy to pack! - souvenir.

Ride the Monorail loops - both of them - just for fun! :)

Boat rides - with your son's wheelchair, the rides from GF/Poly to MK are out, BUT every other boat route at WDW is accessible (WL + FW boats alternate, so you may have to wait a bit). We like them all - from FW/WL to MK, then take the BUS to HS, and ride the round trip from HS through the Resorts to Epcot on the Friendship boats. There's also several routes at Disney Springs - you can ride from one end of DS to another, or ride to OKW (Olivia's has great food any time of the day!) or there is a route that goes to and from POFQ/POR. POR has Yee-Haw Bob in the evenings for some great family fun!

Disney Springs typically has street musicians and performers in the evenings if your family enjoys that kind of thing.

Many of the Resorts still have the (free) movies on the lawn every night (weather dependent) and many of them also have S'mores campfires (buy the kits in the Resort store)

Every Resort has an Arcade, BTW; some are surprisingly big, and almost all of them are always nearly empty (except during hurricanes LOL)

In the Parks, you can also look for smashed penny machines and pin trading opportunities. There are many "museums", movies or exhibits (especially at WS) that are great if you have someone who might need to opt out easily. Canada, France & China at WS all have movies. Japan, Morocco and Norway have little museums tucked away, and China has a fascinating exhibit as well. The Mexico pavilion regularly updates their exhibit. As HS, One Man's Dream has been renamed, but still contains an exhibit featuring Walt Disney's history. There is a great Star Wars exhibit over in the Launch Bay with actual props from the movies.

At MK, the Grand Circle tour on the train is a huge favorite of ours as well!

edited to add clarification re: Friendship boats
edited JUST FOR @katyieeldr LOL: changed monorail to BUS

Last edited:
  • I will 2nd the earlier suggestion for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.
my kids love playing in the fountains at epcot
Ugh. We call these dysentery fountains. They put signs up requesting that sick kids stay out or something like that. Point being, the water is recirculated. Watch one long enough and you'll see them perform the function of a bidet. We had a great pic that caught the play fountain in AK near the kali river rapids locker room. There was a vertical fountain about 4 feet from a fountain coming out of the wall. The pic happened to catch a kid catching the wall fountain water in his mouth while at the same time another kiddo in a diaper was getting his business end hosed by the upward spraying water. I nonchalantly pointed out to the first kids mother that the two fountains drain into and draw from the same reservoir.

A previous poster mentioned the entertainment at Epcot, where you can come and go as you please. The Boardwalk in the evening is similar because there are entertainers and you can come and go as you please. It’s also a nice place to grab a bench and people watch or soak in the atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter