Off site vs CBR for family of 6

jp'smommy

Mouseketeer
We are going to DIsney the last week of November. We are going with DH’s family. Parents and sister with her Dh and kids. They want to rent an house for the week. Dh and I want to stay at the CBR. We have 4 kiddos 8,5,3, and will be 16 months when we go. I want to be on vacation meaning no cleaning or cooking. I feel that will not be the case if we don’t stay on site. My MIL wants us all to be together and she will pay for it. I just don’t think I can. Please tell me what will be the pros and cons of staying off site besides the obvious space!

I wouldn't stay on site if it were free...seriously. No way, no how. That's not meant to be an insult to onsite, just how strongly we feel about being offsite for our family.

It really can't be stressed enough how nice the extra space is. We rent a 4 bedroom, 3 bath 1200sq ft townhouse. It's got a full eat in kitchen, full family room, in house laundry, etc...plus since we're a family of 5, each kids gets their own private bedroom, which they LOVE. After a day in the parks, who wants to come back and cram into a small hotel room? It's so nice to be able to just relax. DW and I can put our feet up on the couch and watch TV while the kids are in their room watching videos. There's privacy for DW and I... ;) :cool2:. We can go to the resort pool if we want, etc... We don't all share one bathroom, so we can get ready to go quickly. Just having that family space AND privacy is phenomenal.

Cost. We spend $700-$900/week, including all fees/taxes, etc... You're not getting that kind of space for that kind of money on property.

In house laundry. Sure, nobody likes laundry, but unless you're bringing a ton of clothes and packing heavy, it's so nice. Even for a 17 day trip, we only pack maybe 4 days worth of clothes. Laundry is ridiculously simple. Toss it in the wash when we're sitting down for dinner...toss it in the dryer after dinner. No ironing, or even folding honestly. It's just cotton shorts and t-shirts, so we just hand them back to the kids and we're done.

The kitchen. Everyone has this image of "cooking" on vacation and how they dread it. Well, it's what you make of it. If you want to spend hours over a hot stove, you can. But why would you? If you want, you don't have to cook a single thing, you could always eat out or order in. Or if you cook, like we do, make it simple. We'll throw some chicken in the oven or crockpot and just let it cook. Prep time is maybe 10-15 minutes, then it cooks while we're relaxing, showering, whatever. Clean up is just as simple...it's called a dishwasher. :D We can also pack lunches, snacks, etc...or just keep that stuff in the house for when we come back from the parks. It's awesome to come home, open the fridge and grab some grapes, or the kids can grab some pretzels. I'd bet we spend less than 20-30 minutes per day total "prepping" food...and even when we are doing it, it's not heavy labor. It's light stuff and we're having fun...DW and I spend that time together talking, laughing, and the kids get involved too. Same with "cleaning". We don't polish furniture, scrub floors, nothing. That's why there's a cleaning fee for the house/condo we rent. After you leave, they have a cleaning service come in and clean the house. Sure, we pick up after ourselves, but you'd do the same in a hotel room. But unless we spill something, we don't vacuum, scrub, dust, etc... Heck, we don't even make the beds usually.

The area around WDW is awesome. Endless shops, restaurants, activities. You name it, you'll find it. Our "Disney bubble" is not only WDW property, but all the things around it, so we have more things to do.

Some people would say that having to drive to WDW instead of using buses is a con. And if you don't like to drive or want to drive, sure, I guess it can be a con. But for us, it's a HUGE pro. Just like I would never stay onsite, I would never rely on WDW transportation....it would be a deal breaker for me. We like to go where we want, when we want. If we want to go from Epcot to Typhoon Lagoon, hop in the car and go. Want to then go check out AoA, get in the car and go. No waiting for buses, transferring buses, etc... Also, no cramming into a packed bus. It's nice to have your own private ride...we control the music, a/c, etc... We'd never use the buses.

Offsite doesn't allow you to participate in EMH, but for us, so what? We never rope drop anyway, we think it's a total waste of time (no more "productive"), and for evening EMH, no big deal...we can go to another non-EMH park if we really want to be out late at night.

Offsite can only do 30 days in advance for FP+. But with very limited exception, it's no big deal.

I do understand why people swear by on property, conceptually I understand the attraction to it. But for us, it wouldn't fit. Offsite is the only way to go.

Some of those houses are pretty big, I stayed in one with my sister, 3 cousins, aunt, uncle and grandparents. Honestly I didn't even know they were in the same home at night (except my sister, we shared a room on the first floor). One room at CBR might be a tight squeeze for a family of 6....

Onsite, for convenience of splitting up (we went with our 5 kids and the grandparents, our group would split up all of the time). My parents saw my kids on a daily basis at home, would watch them all of the time, but needed a few hours every day without them. We did rent DVC points, we had a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

We stayed at CBR with a 11, 10, 4, and 2 year old. Thankfully we also had a house at Windsor Hills at the same time (we really wanted fp at 60 days and free parking!) We were literally tripping over one another and forget about trying to get everyone showers. We like to go for 10-12 days at a time. We would have killed each other if we had to stay there full time (even just to shower and sleep since showers took forever for all of us).
Now when we stay onsite as a family of 6 (since our youngest is now 4) we rent a 2 bedroom DVC property. But we still rent a 4 bedroom house for longer stays.

You couldn't pay me to squeeze 6 people into one room at CBR. Seriously, it sounds miserable. One bathroom and tripping over the Pack 'n Play? Yuck!

You should try to be a little more open-minded about off-site. While our family of 6 typically rents a 4BR house (we value our space), there are rentals as large as 6+ bedrooms. Nobody says you HAVE to cook, although I typically do (simple meals). The kitchen is convenient for quick breakfasts and snacks, if nothing else. Even if you order in, it's cheaper than onsite meals.

Having a washer/dryer handy is also very nice--you can pack less, and you're prepared for the inevitable mess.

Some houses have extras liked themed bedrooms, multiple masters, game rooms, and virtually all have a private pool. My 4 kids, who couldn't agree that the sky was blue, all pick the pool as their #1 favorite thing about an Orlando vacation.

If your MIL is paying, and she wants you all to share a house off-site, your choices are to either accept her offer graciously, or turn it down. Or choose CBR, pay for it yourselves, and make a plan on where/when to meet up with them each day. I've actually done this type of vacation (a couple kids ago), where it was MIL, us 4, and Dh's brother and his family. We typically met up for one meal a day--usually dinner, but with your little ones, lunch might be better. Beyond that, we were in the same park on the same day, but didn't travel in a herd. We have kids over a wide range (now 7 grandkids, ages 12-29).

Onsite, for convenience of splitting up (we went with our 5 kids and the grandparents, our group would split up all of the time). My parents saw my kids on a daily basis at home, would watch them all of the time, but needed a few hours every day without them. We did rent DVC points, we had a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

And that's the beauty of offsite. You can get as much time as you want with or without the kids. They each have their own bedroom, and so do we.

And that's the beauty of offsite. You can get as much time as you want with or without the kids. They each have their own bedroom, and so do we.

Exactly! Although when they were younger, our younger two (now DS12, DD14) loved sharing a room. At home, the boys shared and the girls shared. On vacation, the younger two shared and were thrilled. Go figure! It was also a huge help when the younger ones went to bed earlier--we could put them to bed, and still enjoy a glass of wine in the hot tub or whatever. Now, of course, DS12 is taller than I am, and nobody wants to share with DD14--she's a squirmy thing!

For me it comes down to do you want to stay with your inlaws or not? For us that would be a no go. For other families it would work. That right there needs be the deciding factor. I can handle squeezing in to sleep. Staying with family, being expected to cook, etc, I could not handle. I think this is more about family dynamic and vacation style than on or off site.

Even though it’s offsite, the Bonnet Creek complex is close enough to onsite for us. It’s the next door neighbor of CBR. You can see glimpses of CBR through the trees. You can see fireworks every night, and you have to drive under the Disney welcome sign to get there. And there’s a variety of accommodations: timeshare villas, moderate hotel rooms, and luxury hotel rooms. All with much more space and amenities for the price than Disney resorts.

First off I 100% understand not wanting to share a house with others. Been there done that with Hubby's family and barely lived to tell about it. Never again! We still vacation together every few years but never under the same roof. Space and separation are a very good thing for our sanity.

Would it be possible to stay close, like in the same subdivision, but under a separate roof? Windsor hills has single family homes, town homes and condos. They are really not that far apart and do share the common ares such as community pool, spa, gym, and parks.

Just because you have a kitchen and in room laundry doesn't mean you have to use them. As a Mom of 3 I get wanting a vacation and not taking your Mom gig on the road. After a condo vacation stay years ago where I basically felt like I needed a vacation from our vacation I had a long chat with hubby about how this would never happen again unless his and our children's attitudes changed moving forward. My husband loved the space and privacy the condo provided and the price. So now we compromise when we do offsite stays. (We still do some onsite stays.)When staying off site we either we go out to eat for meals and everyone makes their own beds, takes turns with trash and washing towels or if we're watching funds and cooking meals everyone cooks and cleans. We get this discussed before we book and leave home because I will not spend my down time doing it all and being resentful on vacation while the family gets a vacation.

I actually now prefer the space and privacy over all of us in one hotel room. Be forewarned when you have a larger family and growing children the extra space and bathrooms do become enticing and make it difficult to switch back to regular hotel rooms.

Do your vacation, your way. I would not let family pressure from in laws trap you into what is going to make your family miserable. However, just my opinion, but if you want to stay else where you & hubby should pay for your families vacation. As the saying goes, he who pays the piper picks the tune. If the in laws are footing the bill you are sort of tied to their pick of accommodations.

I have done both.....stayed offsite with family (house at WH) as well as CBR with just DH and kids (while other family stayed offsite separately). As much as I love having the extra space of a house, I MUCH preferred staying onsite with DH and kids. Personally I do not want to do laundry, cook, or clean while on vacation. Being in a house kinda forces you into some element of cooking / cleaning (I guess laundry could still be avoided...). CBR is like a tropical vacation and a WDW vacation all in one (I stayed prior to the construction starting). We liked being on our own and not having to plan around other people's schedules. We still met up at the parks a few times and planned a few group meals, but did our own thing most of the time. My advice is, stay where YOU want to stay and don't worry about planning around other people!

We are going to DIsney the last week of November. We are going with DH’s family. Parents and sister with her Dh and kids. They want to rent an house for the week.

Dh and I want to stay at the CBR. We have 4 kiddos 8,5,3, and will be 16 months when we go.
I want to be on vacation meaning no cleaning or cooking. I feel that will not be the case if we don’t stay on site. My MIL wants us all to be together and she will pay for it. I just don’t think I can. Please tell me what will be the pros and cons of staying off site besides the obvious space!

I have no issue staying offsite vs onsite. I have traveled with other family members; both on, both off, some on and some off. You make it work no matter what.

Thoughts on your situation:
- I personally would never stay in one house with that many people and children.
- Would your MIL pay for two smaller units close together so they can all be in one, your family in another?
- Would your MIL pay for you to stay at CBR or would that now mean you are paying?
- Make no morning plans with anyone no matter where you stay, set up meet times later.
- This allows for changes of plans, needs to sleep in, different touring styles .... and less stress.

- If I were forced to stay in one big house (vs not be able to go), I would have my own car and USE IT.
- Drive yourself and only your family to parks. Do not let your day be dictated by others.
- Make it clear you are on vacation and that means no cooking, skip any obligation to do that.
- Don't set too many meals together, it just adds more stress on, at most once per day.
- Don't agree to take, watch or be responsible for children not your own.
- If MIL is paying, I would be talking to Sister about you all splitting costs of parents meals at all restaurant dining and tell the folks in advance. Not only a nice thank you but it may encourage MIL to agree to more dining out vs cooking in house.

OFFSITE Pros:
Space, lower cost, ability to cook, ability to do laundry. Some of these may also not be Pros for some.
OFFSITE Cons:
Driving yourself, pay for parking, may be much harder to take breaks, feels like home instead of vacation.

My personal opinion is everyone should always stay where they want to stay, it is very easy to meet folks at the parks and enjoy time together. Given you have young children, two very young - if you are looking at resort/nap time - onsite will likely better. When my kids were younger we were almost always onsite, now I don't care since they can go all day long. CBR rooms are larger than other moderates, you'll have enough beds for all there, and still fit the baby bed.

I get many do not like to have a "full house" in a hotel room. We all travel differently. We never had issues all being in one room (5) ..... so as long as you all are fine with it that is all that matters. Do what is best for your family whatever that is.

But even offsite we stick to at the most a "timeshare" condo. I have no interest to stay in a house - I live in one, so it would not be a vacation to me.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
There are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

Free is nice but it comes at a price (see what I did there). Are you comfortable spending that much time with the rest of the family? Even though everyone will have their own room, I'm assuming there is also going to be some togetherness going on. Personally, we went on one vacation where we stayed in a house with my MIL and that was it for me.

If you stay offsite you do have to get yourself to and from the parks. There are some that like the convenience of having their own cars, some who don't. Taking breaks is a bit more of a pain when you are driving but that is just a personal opinion.

I don't cook or do laundry on vacation, period. We have stayed in condos on dive trips to Grand Cayman and the only laundry I did was rinsing out our bathing suits in the sink and throwing them and our wet boat clothes in the dryer. We were there for 7 nights and we cooked maybe 2, we did eat cereal for breakfast and sometimes sandwiches for lunch. We also stayed in a beautiful house on a dive trip to Saba and again no laundry and the only meals were cereal for breakfast and we made sandwiches some days to take on the dive boat with us.

We stayed off site once in over 30 years of going and that was enough for me. I like using the Disney transportation (we have a car with us but never drive it). I like going back to the resort for pool time then hopping on a bus or walking to a park. I like eating out and having someone wait on me while on vacation, we don't even do buffets and rarely do quick service because I can wait on myself at home.

I LOVE staying onsite, and I also LOVE staying offsite ... each has its pros and cons. I think, like others have said, the biggest issue here, is can you, or do you want to, stay under the same roof with inlaws and other people. In addition, I do think that 6 ppl in one CBR room is too tight. If you decide to stay onsite, I would try for two rooms (adjoining). If you decide to stay offsite, I would suggest you politely thank MIL for her offer, but it would be better for you guys to have your own space (use the youngest as an excuse because they have to be on a schedule and you think that many people in one house would be too hectic. I would ask where they are planning on booking and try to stay in the same area. Then you can vacation as you want, when you want. Make sure to make SOME plans with the group, but not ALL>

PROS of staying onsite: being immersed in the Disney bubble :-), NO DRIVING< COOKING CLEANING , and with kids in that age range, if you need to take a break in the afternoon it is WAY more convenient. It is possible to take a break at a house, but the minute I am back to my house, poolside, I like to open a beer, and relax .... onsite I can do that, and take Disney transport back to the parks in the evening ... offsite I cannot. I am then stuck at the house. I love not having to wash towels, I love the all inclusive feel ... I love the resorts and just walking around them in the evenings .. the entertainment by the pool @CBR is always nice ... Movies for the kids, and a bar right there for mom and dad. Marshmallow roasts on the beach ... Pools are nicer than what you will have at your house (not the resort, the actual house). I find onsite always more relaxing! I also like that if I am onsite, I only have to deal with the personalities of my immediate family, not everyone else ...

CONS of staying offsite: more space, I do enjoy having the hot tub/pool right there, I especially like relaxing in it after the kids are gone to bed. The fridge is close so I can grab a snack or drink very easily. It is cheaper bc you can easily prepare breakfasts/lunches/snacks onsite (I refuse to cook supper even when onsite, we will always go out somewhere for supper). I do enjoy the laundry so I can not pack as much clothes (but I DETEST having to wash the towels every day because there are never enough when you use the pool daily as well, which you will with kids). Extra bathrooms are a bonus for getting ready.

I wouldn't go to WDW if I couldn't stay onsite. We like to be able to come and go as we please, not wait for a random shuttle for an offsite hotel, or drive the crazy roads on property/Orlando area. I also want to do no cooking or cleaning while I am on vacation. I have no need for a kitchen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter