• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Odyssey - a better plan

jayandstacey

DIS Veteran
I believe the building is now used for private group functions and a few things like F&W festival, right? It seems underutilized. I'm sure everyone has an idea of how to use it, so here's

MY PLAN:

I think they should use it for "cabana" purposes; a kind of next-generation of what some non-Disney water parks are doing. Disney, this is a money-maker, so listen up.

Some water parks have begun to reserve little areas in the park for the exclusive use of the guest. Usually a tiki hut with a fan, a table, a small fridge, a lounge chair or two and concierge service - for an extra $50, you have a place for the day to keep your stuff, get away from the crowds and get whatever food/drinks you need. You OWN the cabana for the day and don't have to worry about "holding" it or anyone taking your chairs or towels.

This is done now in Hershey Park and Dutch Wonderland in PA and they are great.

I've never been inside the Odyssey but it looks huge. Disney could carve it up into little areas the size of dining room, with some bigger. Each area would have soft chairs, a couch, a table, a fridge, a TV and full food service - with the ability to order from the Odyssey menu, or if you place your order an hour ahead of time, from almost ANY OTHER Epcot eating place.

You could rent by the day or half day. Entrance to the building, like other parks cabana areas, would be either ticket or wristband controlled.

I don't know what facilities the building would have, but exclusive (Odyssey guests only) access to some other features could be included. Volleyball court out back? Grills? A screening room inside? The goal wouldn't be to make it an attraction itself, but rather to enhance the hospitality aspect to attract buyers.

Like hotel rooms, prices would depend on location and size, and reservations would be handled like any other overnight room.

So how does this make money?

A) Disney could probably charge $75 to $125 or more per day per unit. This is as much as the value resorts and
- wouldn't cannibalize any regular hotel rooms
- doesn't require as much overhead (no overnight staff, no bedsheets, no showers)

B) It would be perceived as of value to the whole family but will particularly appeal to groups that have older members. They have a central, private comfortable resting place while the kids just run all day but join them for dinner.

C) The building exists and the renovations would be REALLY easy and cheap, not much worse than putting in cubes in an office. This also means that Disney could try it on a small scale (say 30 rooms) and probably still host the other functions - and see if it is successful.

D) It appeals to the highest-end customers and offers another way to offer them value to open up their wallets, PLUS, might actually increase sales at the resturants even if they are full! There could be other ways to extract additional sales from guests while there.

Disney, do this. Trust me. Do it.

Interesting concept but one thing bothers me. I don't think there's anything in any Disney park where people can easily see it but have to pay extra for it. The shooting arcade in Frontierland is about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. I think it would be so disappointing for people to see the Odyssey, see people going into the building, think they can do it themselves, and then get turned away with the message that they have to pay an extra $100 or so for the day. Disney World people have a "follow the herd" mentality so this would happen quite frequently.

If they were going to do something like this, it would be better served in the old Millennium building which is almost hidden in between Canada and United Kingdom. It would be much easier to control access and have signage to indicate what it was. The Odyssey is just too visible.

I always thought it should be a Taste of World Showcase place.
Like the summer festivals many cities have.
You can go to that one place and they have a little bit of food from each of the countries all in one place. And you order whatever and you get a small sample size.

It already was a resturant so renovation would be relativily cheap.
It would have easy access good visiblity
It would promote the other resturants and encourge people to have a full sit down meal there.
Yet it would be a stand alone resturant and make money.

Interesting concept but one thing bothers me. I don't think there's anything in any Disney park where people can easily see it but have to pay extra for it. The shooting arcade in Frontierland is about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. I think it would be so disappointing for people to see the Odyssey, see people going into the building, think they can do it themselves, and then get turned away with the message that they have to pay an extra $100 or so for the day. Disney World people have a "follow the herd" mentality so this would happen quite frequently.

If they were going to do something like this, it would be better served in the old Millennium building which is almost hidden in between Canada and United Kingdom. It would be much easier to control access and have signage to indicate what it was. The Odyssey is just too visible.
I see the point - but isn't that what the Odyssey is doing now? The general public isn't allowed in 99% of the time - maybe 100% - it either isn't open or is used for private functions.

Besides, they could create a lobby that promotes what's inside, maybe with a sample room and a cast member taking reservations. And just like a restaurant, unless you have reservations and are willing to pay, you don't continue inside. I don't think it is too far out of reason. And the history of the building is just that - a restaurant, right?

Epcot is unique to this concept for a few reasons:
1. Epcot is so huge, so older folks could use a rest. Yes, there are plenty of benches but...
2. A common strategy is to go back to the room for a break midday - what if you could do this and NOT exit the park? You wouldn't have your jammies, but you could take a nap, watch TV, have a drink, etc. This would be hugely appealing to me, if for no other reason than the saved time getting to and from my hotel. And, it is right in the middle of the park...
3. Epcot is not only uniquely vast, it uniquely appeals to adults - the types that would want such a place. Young parents with young kids probably wouldn't use such a place much in MK - but Epcot appeals to a different crowd. (yes, I know, all parks appeal to all people, etc. I'm just saying...)

I always thought it should be a Taste of World Showcase place.
Like the summer festivals many cities have.
You can go to that one place and they have a little bit of food from each of the countries all in one place. And you order whatever and you get a small sample size.

It already was a resturant so renovation would be relativily cheap.
It would have easy access good visiblity
It would promote the other resturants and encourge people to have a full sit down meal there.
Yet it would be a stand alone resturant and make money.
I'd rather a permanent Food and Wine festival - introduce different countries than what's around the world. I just wonder if
- A) There aren't enough restaurants in Epcot
- B) It essentially becomes a counter service food court, not much different from The Land court.

And thus cannibalize the other food places. The F&W festival, by being temporary, most likely does cannibalize the restaurants, but does so by increasing attendance in an otherwise slow period.

But I hear what you are saying - I can imagine areas with very small samples from the restaurants, videos from each place and a kiosk to make reservations. Sounds cool - I just think mine will make more money AND might actually draw a few more tickets in the front gate.

Under my plan, you'd rent a room and ordering food would be a convenience option. It would turn the tables on the restaurant idea, where you HAVE to order food and in exchange you get a space for yourself - but if you want to keep the space you need to continue ordering food, or make some really pissed servers. Besides, the space isn't usually very private.

I think it's a GREAT idea. EPCOT is just too huge. The distances are enormous. Not nearly enough places to sit down, especially WS. Everyone could use a break!

I think it's a GREAT idea. EPCOT is just too huge. The distances are enormous. Not nearly enough places to sit down, especially WS. Everyone could use a break!

And everyone can get a break. But only those willing to pay $75 or so per day will get an airconditioned, private room with a TV and couch break. And I think that's fair - not everyone gets to ride the illuminations cruise, right?

Definately could work but the only reservation I see is how does a "Cabana", which most people associate with beach/pool fit in a park who's two major tenents are the future and international flavor? I'd almost sell it more as a lounge, kinda of like they have at rides for sponsors of a particular ride (i.e. the lounge that GM has (had?) at Test Track). Maybe, if you stay at a Disney resort, namely an Epcot one, on the club level you have access to this lounge as well?

Maybe they could call it an oasis or something to do with Bedoin tents (those sweet luxury tents in the desert). Too bad Odyssey's not closer to Morocco!!

Definately could work but the only reservation I see is how does a "Cabana", which most people associate with beach/pool fit in a park who's two major tenents are the future and international flavor? I'd almost sell it more as a lounge, kinda of like they have at rides for sponsors of a particular ride (i.e. the lounge that GM has (had?) at Test Track). Maybe, if you stay at a Disney resort, namely an Epcot one, on the club level you have access to this lounge as well?

Yeah, I only use Cabana as that's what the other parks call it - but theirs is outdoors and kind of simple. You are right, it would not be the right word here. And yes, I thought about the GM lounge with this idea.

To start, I wouldn't worry *too* much about theming it per se, rather, make it nice and a kind of escape from intense theming. I would, however, market it as an exclusive premiere guest lounge of sorts. Make it relatively scarce, like a Le Cellier with only one seating all day.

I might tie it to the Disney resorts, but not make it a giveaway to those folks. Maybe like this:
If you stay on the club level, you get first crack at reserving your own lounge for $100 a day. If you do so, you get some enhanced fast passes. If the lounges aren't all sold to club level guests, they open to others minus the fastpasses.

This helps minimize the impact of giving away too many fastpasses, as I doubt the Odyssey could hold more than 50 to 100 lounges. But it DOES give the guest with big bucks AND a willingness to plan a real incentive to help make the lounges a financial success.

Plus, Disney could take park hospitality (and expense) to a whole new level.

At Dutch Wonderland in PA, the tickets to get in were maybe $20 for adults and $15 for kids - and an outdoor cabana on a 10'x20' slab was about $60. It was nice and worth it (and sold out on a relatively slow day)- I point this out as I was willing to pay nearly 2x the admission price of 2 adults and 2 kids to be able to 'claim some turf'.

Great Adventure has cabanas for rent in the park, not the waterpark and it appears to be a flop.

Originally last year it was $99, and you had the cabana for the day (it had a fan, a sofa and lounge chair and TV) and came with food and game vouchers and vouchers for some refillable soda cups.

That didn't work so they lowered it to $25 for the day with none of the food, game or soda vouchers.

I went to the park close to 20 times last year and never saw them in use once. Same this season.

I realize it is 2 different markets but it seems like they only work well in water parks

Couple of problems:

First, there's the herd mentality stated above. People DO walk past the Odyssey building; if they see other Guests going in, they're going to want to go in. It's big, but it's not that big. You'd need to allow for aisles between all the 'cabanas', plus be sure to have/update facilities. Most likely, getting food from other locations wouldn't work.

The Odyssey was closed for regular use due to structural issues. Yes, it's used for special events, and yes, the Baby Care Center, First Aid, and restrooms are around back - but it's not used on a permanent/full time basis because it would, at least last I heard, be too costly to repair. YES THE BUILDING IS SAFE, but Disney prefers not to use it regularly.

And finally, if Disney wanted to extend the Food & Wine Festival, they would. They don't want to. It's not a matter of location.

I just thought I would tell you that after reading your post on this- I totally dreamed it last night. :lmao: We were at The Magic Kingdom and the Odessey was there instead of Epcot in my dream. But everyone was using it just like you suggested. The only thing was some of it was run down in my dream. It was so wierd and funny that the Dis Boards are now affecting my dreams. LOL!!!!

Angie

Since this isn't really trip planning, and it's not really a rumor, this thread will be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it over there now.

Great Adventure has cabanas for rent in the park, not the waterpark and it appears to be a flop.

Originally last year it was $99, and you had the cabana for the day (it had a fan, a sofa and lounge chair and TV) and came with food and game vouchers and vouchers for some refillable soda cups.

That didn't work so they lowered it to $25 for the day with none of the food, game or soda vouchers.

I went to the park close to 20 times last year and never saw them in use once. Same this season.

I realize it is 2 different markets but it seems like they only work well in water parks

Hmmm...OK, didn't know this. And past performance is the best predictor of future results. So if I were Disney and this is true, I'd probably not do it.

Having said that, Great Adventure is neither Great, nor an Adventure. :) I would have no inclination to purchase such a thing at Great Adventure but would at Epcot. With Epcot's differences, the concept might be more appealing.

Eh...nevermind.

Couple of problems:

First, there's the herd mentality stated above. People DO walk past the Odyssey building; if they see other Guests going in, they're going to want to go in. It's big, but it's not that big. You'd need to allow for aisles between all the 'cabanas', plus be sure to have/update facilities. Most likely, getting food from other locations wouldn't work..

Well, guests see people going into every restaurant but don't expect admittance wihout a reservation. I'm not sure I get this issue - wouldn't Disney want that? People follow others into the Odyssey entrance and are greeted with an area that explains what it is and gives them the opportunity to reserve. Just like a shop, restaurant, backstage tour or any other pay-to-play experience. Traffic would be the plus, not the minus.

Aisles, yes. Facilities, not much more than what's already in place. If Odyssey already has a kitchen then food from the other places wouldn't matter, or would only be offered if it could be profitable.

The Odyssey was closed for regular use due to structural issues. Yes, it's used for special events, and yes, the Baby Care Center, First Aid, and restrooms are around back - but it's not used on a permanent/full time basis because it would, at least last I heard, be too costly to repair. YES THE BUILDING IS SAFE, but Disney prefers not to use it regularly..

So if it is safe, then the structural issues must have to be cosmetic, in that:
- the space doesn't "work" and
- the space would need refurbishment even if it did.

My thought is to do this on the cheap, ie, like cubes in an office space. Think tradeshow booths - temporary walls, modular pieces. To that end, they can be wedged into almost any configuration and can be moved/removed for reuse.

I understand that the building probably has limited other use, and that the reasons would be structural. It was always an odd structure anyway in relation to the rest of the park, being neither a country nor a pavillion.

And finally, if Disney wanted to extend the Food & Wine Festival, they would. They don't want to. It's not a matter of location.

Yeah, that's what I was saying above. I understand F&W is scheduled to spike attendance enough to override the cannibalization of the permanent restaurants, and that F&W is certainly NOT needed at Christmas, Easter or the summer. I don't see an indoor, permanent, mini F&W happening either.

The post above regarding the failure of such guest areas at Great Adventure would be the primary obstacle to this idea IMHO. However I sense this is due to the nature of Great Adventure - not being quite as large, not appealing to an older crowd and not pulling the world-wide (and as affluent) audience that Epcot does.

So I dunno. Like all things, I'm sure Disney has looked at this idea in some form. Guess that money will stay in my pocket until they figure it out ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter