October pink......do you know someone who has/had breast cancer?

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
I'm sure many of us know more than one.....sadly enough.

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 65 and had a mastectomy. She is now 87 and cancer free.

Right now I have a good friend going thru cancer treatments and she is 49.

Good thoughts for those here on the DIS and their friends and family that may be going thru this.

GO PINK

Yes. My good friend(who also happens to be married to DH’s cousin) was featured on the Today Show last week for beating it. She was the one who got to dance with The Rockettes.

Last edited:
I lost my aunt to breast cancer at 64. She fought it for 8 years until it spread to her lungs.
When my friend's father died her cousin went to visit the family at the funeral home and also made an appointment to arrange her own funeral as she was dying of cancer. She left 4 children behind. According to my friend she took each of her children on a special trip just the two of them and also bought and prepared their clothes for her funeral. Now that is one strong person! She died at 40 years old.

I've known more than I can count, including my mother. The good news is that many women who are diagnosed with beast cancer post menopause have a curable cancer. Many types of breast cancer are being over treated and most doctors are not differentiating between types of cancers for chemo, etc. treatment.

Here are just a few links of many on the over treatment of breast cancers:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4322920/
http://time.com/4057310/breast-cancer-overtreatment/
https://am.asco.org/when-less-more-breast-cancer-treatment
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/health/breast-cancer-unnecessary-treatment-study-partner/index.html

My mother was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer in 1998 at the age of 51 and died in 2001 just after her 54th birthday.

I was diagnosed with stage IIB breast cancer in February just before my 47th birthday and had surgery, Chemo, 7 weeks of radiation and just started 5 years of hormone therapy.

My youngest sister had her second chemotherapy treatment yesterday. She is having chemo first in the hopes of shrinking the tumours, then she'll have surgery, and then radiation. It's a tough time.

My mom had breast cancer in May 2003. I remember it vividly because she had a mastectomy and 3 days later I had thyroid surgery. Her cancer never came back thankfully.

My amazing sister in law battled it for 3 years. She was only 35 when diagnosed, she discovered it while breast feeding her son. She died at age 38. We miss her every single day.

My Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer 20 years ago. She had a mastectomy and chemo. She beat it for 10 years, but then was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. She passed away 10 years ago this month, 3 weeks after being diagnosed.

My sister was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a number of years ago. She also had a mastectomy. Years before that she 2 malignant brain tumors removed and followed up with radiation. Years after her breast cancer, she was then diagnosed with cervical or ovarian cancer (I don't recall which) and had a hysterectomy. A little over 2 years ago, she was diagnosed with a stage 4 Glioblastoma. Sadly, she did not beat that and passed away 2 months after being diagnosed.

3 years ago next month, after having a routine mammogram, I was diagnosed with Lobular carcinoma in situ in my right breast. It was very small luckily and I had a lumpectomy. I'm on a 5 year regimn of Tamoxifen.

Sadly (but I feel understandably), I live in fear every day of getting cancer.

My sister in law passed away a couple of years ago when her breast cancer came back with a vengeance.

My great aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1963 and had a mastectomy. She survived for 23 years when cancer survival rates weren't that great and never once did she let anyone see her get down. She passed away in 1986 of a heart attack.

My mom had breast cancer in her early 50s and had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. 12 years later she had a recurrence and had a mastectomy.

My cousin passed away from breast cancer in her 30s as it went to her lungs and bones.

A friend of mine had an aggressive breast cancer and cancer free for 8 years now.

A coworker had breast cancer 4 years ago and doing well.

My wife Marie was diagnosed almost 20 years ago, January 1998, with stage III breast cancer. Lumpectomy, chemo, radiation. She is doing well 20 years later. Our family celebration of her return to health at Disney World is what led me here to this board, almost 19 years ago.

Her mother had breast cancer, did not die from it. Her grandmother had breast cancer, did die from it.

We have lost 3 very good friends from breast cancer, all in the mid life years. Also I lost a very good friend/client, Anthony, this past year, from male breast cancer. Not too common, but it is there nonetheless.

Here on the dis, I can recall we have lost Sylvia, Lisa, MinnieM3 (Beth), Kama89 (Kim), wdw4us2 (Lisa).

A wonderful thread here on these boards for those touched by breast cancer, or really any cancer of any kind.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-breast-cancer-survivors-part-iv-gagwta.2833381/

A thread I have posted here many years in the past....

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...nd-now-an-angel-photos.3287666/#post-51598893

Blessings and prayers for all those here fighting the beast, or whom have been touched by the beast.

And thank you, Kitty. :hug:'s

:scratchin Fortunately (and a little unusually) I'm not related to or close friends with anyone who's suffered. I do know 3 people currently battling colon cancer and two that lost their fights with glioblastoma; both of which are less common than breast cancer.

Last edited:
My mother has faced two battles. She was 41 the first time she was diagnosed and 57 the second time. She's almost 64 now and going strong.

:hug: to those who have lost someone and to those currently going through it.

I'm sure many of us know more than one.....sadly enough.

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at 65 and had a mastectomy. She is now 87 and cancer free.

Right now I have a good friend going thru cancer treatments and she is 49.

Good thoughts for those here on the DIS and their friends and family that may be going thru this.

GO PINK

My maternal grandmother had Invasive Lobular Cancer. Technically, it didn't kill her, a heart attack did.

Other cancers in the family:
My mom had Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer (passed away from complications, technically a heart attack killed her). I have two sisters with thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) and I am supposed to be tested for it as well.

My husband had Adrenocortical Carcinoma.

To all the posters that post on this thread, I just want to remind you that my "likes" to you mean I read your post and feel so sad for all who have lost loved ones and know ones who suffer.

Dan, your post definitely brought me to tears as I remember you going thru Marie's cancer scare and know how much the DISers we have lost touched your life. You are always so good at keeping their memories alive. :hug:

My childhood best friend died of breast cancer 2 years ago.

She was only 41 and left behind a husband and 2 kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!