• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oct. 20, 2001 - "Magic"al Experience

Cruisin' Krause's

Earning My Ears
Well, seeing no other entries regarding this trip, please allow me to be the first (of many, I'm sure).

We had four in our party (me(DH), DW, DD(3.5yrs), and DS(!.5yrs)). Everyone survived, and had a great time (short version)

Longer version:
We found this forum after booking the cruise (referred here by my brother), and were grateful for the information. Also, I would suggest talking to Canadian Travel Agents for comparison pricing for cruises and passes (seems lower to us anyway - just a thought). Also, I would suggest pre-booking the shore excursions (now possible over the phone) - seemless.

We flew in 2 days early (figured 2 better than 1), and had booked Best Western Buena Vista, but then saw the lower price listed here. so rebooked (last few rooms, it seems). We had no problems with the Hotel, but the transfers to/from parks (especially 'from' at closing) were slow (but were included). We had two days of park hopping, and the kids were wild.

Transfers were via "Happy Limo", which were cheaper the Mears/Disney, and, with the two day "before" trip, allowed us to tailor the transfers to our liking. (Write to me if you want pricing, I suppose). Transfers were excellent (town car to Best Western including a grocery stop, town car to the port, and upgrade(free) to stetch limo back to airport(big surprise!!).

Limo's, however, are no longer allowed to the door at the port, and we were dropped across the street in the parking lot (as well as picked up there), and then shuttled across to the terminal (bags were chcked in the lot, though). It looked like people who drove themselves, or who had friends dropping them off were allowed up to the terminal, and the Disney buses were allowed to their areas.

We took the advice of getting there early (1115hrs), and much appreciated this advice. This allowed a room change pre-boarding (change sides to room 7530), and gave lots of time on ship to book Palo (dinner and brunch), and the Babysitting at Flounders. The extra time in the terminal was no problem with the kids (videos and characters abound!) Very well taken care of by Disney.

The ship is excellent, of course. We were APLAPLA for dinner, and first seating (good for kids). DD always went off to Oceaneer's club after dinner (burn off energy), and we only saw one show with the DS going to sleep soon after dinner ended.

Oceaneer's club - no worries at all. Very secure and the kids were well taken care of. DD never wanted lunch with us - would say 'please let me eat with my freinds'.

Flounder's (babysitting) - minimum 2hrs ($6 per hour) - very good, and good with the kids. Same pager for both kids.

St. Maarten - very hot, brutal sun if unprepared. I went on the 12 meter sail - had a blast. In the afternoon (less hot) bought unlimited water taxi passes ($5 each) and went to town, shopped, then sat on the beach there until time to return to the ship (longer wait to ride back - the other ship (Golden Princess) leaves just before us). Left port earlier than on the itinerary (2130hrs) - ?reason

St. Thomas - up early for US Immigration (0630hrs) as non-US citizens (what a drag), then a good day with a family trip to the Coral World (nice tour of the island included).

Castaway Cay - rained half the day, bit the rain cut down on the crowd at the beach for when it stopped, I suppose. Not a bad day, but can't imagine how hot it would have been in the sun!!!

Tipping - took their advice (of course) but found out (contrary to what I'd read here) that the kids' staff weren't allowed to take money, but they're paid (a lot) better than the wait staff that depend more so on tips to live.

Back to port (up early for Immigration again (non US)) - up early is a very bad thing with young kids. Would suggest to others to do the immigration, then hit the sack and take the buffet breakfast to rest for the travel day (just a thought, mind you)

We were very surprised by the Limo there to pick us up (across the road - see above), then had a nice trip to theb airport (TV for the kids to watch Cinderella (again)). Then we saw some shipmated in the line for our flights, and the kids played together one last time.

Nice trip, few early mornings, lots of memories, and one whopper "Key to the World" card bill!!!!

Cheers, and see you again soon, I'm sure. Please E-mail me, or berate me in public if you think I've misrepresented things here.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Was the ship full? It sounds as though it may not have been if you were able to change your room assignment pre-boarding.

Thanks for a great trip report!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I enjoyed your trip report. In April/02, my daughter (10 years ) and I will go on a Disney land & Sea vacation . first cruise, my daughter's first vacation, and my first vacation in 10 years
so ... I don't mean to pry but about how much can one expect thier "Key to the World" card bill" to be. If you feel uncomfortable about the question I will understand.

pavlarusso

Thanks for the feedback.

Ottawacruiser - thanks for theb message. Do you know my brother...

pavlarusso - thank you very much. The cruise was great fun.
The Bill (yikes) was $1200 (US), which for 4 of us wasn't so bad. Very few drinks, mostly shore excursions and babysitting. Leave another message (or e-mail) if you'd like more detail.

Thanks again,:pinkbounc

Cruisin Krause that wasn't bad at all. I think my daughter and I will make out just fine.
thanks
pavlarusso

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter