Oahu & Aulani Trip Report, Summer 2019

Oh wow the stargazing sounds truly exceptional! I'd never heard of this taking place at Aulani before reading your report. As a Sorcerers of the MK, Pirates, Agent P and Wilderness Explorer fanatic, I'm super interested in the Menehune Scavenger Hunt too!

That sounds like such the perfect day to me, including the massage. I've been to several spas (I love them) and while the massage depends on the person performing it, I always feel like I'm about to fly away when it's done, I feel so light, it's so relaxing. Then again, I always request a standard Californian massage when they basically build you into a cocoon of comfort and put you to sleep, I don't know how I would do with stones and sticks!

I think you are the first person who has mentioned their massage wasn't the best. Everyone else has raved about it. I am considering one for my trip.

How much was the stargazing activity? I was considering that but when you said it was expensive, I may not be able to fit it in the budget with all the other expensive things we are doing

I think you are the first person who has mentioned their massage wasn't the best. Everyone else has raved about it. I am considering one for my trip.

How much was the stargazing activity? I was considering that but when you said it was expensive, I may not be able to fit it in the budget with all the other expensive things we are doing

When I was there in March it was $40/ea. We were lucky enough to be there the night of the full moon and made it worth every penny. The astronomer was able to take pictures with our phones and I can enlarge it to see every little bump in the surface of the moon. Very cool!

Awesome TR!! Might have to try the stargazing activity next July!! several ideas are gonna be incorporated into our next visit! Thank you

The stargazing was $40 per person for us too! It was truly worth every penny; we would absolutely do it again. :) I definitely recommend it! @braysmommy - what a great idea to check the other resorts. The scientist stated that he offers this program at all the different resorts on different nights in Ko Olina!

Oh wow the stargazing sounds truly exceptional! I'd never heard of this taking place at Aulani before reading your report. As a Sorcerers of the MK, Pirates, Agent P and Wilderness Explorer fanatic, I'm super interested in the Menehune Scavenger Hunt too!

That sounds like such the perfect day to me, including the massage. I've been to several spas (I love them) and while the massage depends on the person performing it, I always feel like I'm about to fly away when it's done, I feel so light, it's so relaxing. Then again, I always request a standard Californian massage when they basically build you into a cocoon of comfort and put you to sleep, I don't know how I would do with stones and sticks!

The Menehune Scavenger Hunt was fun and interactive, so if you like Agent P, you should totally do it. But because the videos take a little while to watch, be sure to block off a good chunk of time to do it! They only have certain hours when you can rent out the iPad for the hunt (although using their iPad was way better than watching Agent P on our small cellphone screens at Epcot, haha!)

I think maybe I'll have to try another massage next time I head to the spa! But at Aulani, I'm already delighted and happy so I think I'll stick with having massages at home (rather than on vacation) next time!

Day 8 - our last day at Aulani!

We only had about a half-day before we had to head to the airport - back home to New York and back to reality! I got up early and walked across the street to the "square" to get DH some coffee, and myself an acai bowl, from Island Vintage Coffee Co. This was a great acai bowl - nothing came close to Haleiwa Bowls on the North Shore but this was better than most of the others we tried during the week!

After some quick packing, we headed to the beach and the pools one last time. During our trip, we had especially loved the adults-only infinity hot tub which overlooked the beach, so we spent a ton of time there before, and also played one last game of giant Connect 4 by the beach. After showering and getting cleaned up, we checked out of our room. We shared a poke bowl and a spam musubi from Ulu Cafe for lunch, and then it was unfortunately time to say goodbye to Aulani. We caught a cab to the airport using the flat-rate Charley's Taxi (which are just waiting around at Aulani during the day, so you don't have to worry about making a reservation), and said see ya real soon to Hawaii!

Saying aloha and mahalo to beautiful Hawaii!

Overall Thoughts

It was top-to-bottom an amazing vacation. We loved the beaches and had eaten some really great food. The air was so much cleaner than back home, and everything was so casual, and so easy, during our whole trip. Will we be coming back to Hawaii? Without a doubt. I'm not sure we'll be returning to Aulani, though. We paid cash for our reservation, and while we had a lot of fun, it wasn't really worth the (extremely) high price. The slides are fun, but it's easier (and way cheaper) for us to fly to Orlando and go to Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, or Volcano Bay as the slides at Aulani are not too thrilling and were very crowded. The beach at Aulani isn't too exciting -- we had experienced some really fun beaches during our trip which we thought were way better, but we did enjoy the "resort experience," and liked not having to worry about our valuables and cell phones and things while enjoying the ocean. We might try a different luxury resort in Hawaii on our next trip!

The merchandise at Aulani is pretty cute, but unlike our trips to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney, we didn't come home with our bags jam-packed full of souvenirs. I did ship some fragile things home, though (I regularly ship fragile things home, because if they break in transit, you can just call Disney and they'll send you another. If I pack it and break it on the way home, there's nothing I can do to get a resort-exclusive item!) and was impressed by their speedy and prompt service - it was shipped out the next day (I got an email with the tracking # and everything) and arrived in New York swiftly 2-3 days later. But we did come back with a whole bunch of happy fun Hawaii memories!

Wish I still had this incredible view of the beach from the adults-only hot tub at Aulani!

Helpful Packing Items
I'm not an influencer or anything, nor do I make money off recommending any of these products, but I thought I'd put on here some helpful packing items as I spent a lot of time trying and finding lots of different products for items for our vacation, so I figured I'd summarize my winners here for you in case it helps!

- Foldable beach blanket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J65KXML)
This is a waterproof, super compact and light beach blanket. I'd bought a few to test from Amazon before the trip - the sand just fell right off this one, and it didn't get damp when splashed constantly with water. It's pretty small, though - fits 2 people at max. I would just recommend you buy multiples for more people or individual ones if people like to lie down!

- Anker waterproof phone case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TFJMQ4)
I am super risk-averse so I wanted a waterproof phone case from a reputable brand. I tested these in my bathtub by putting a paper towel inside, and then submerging it underwater, moving it up and down in and out of the water, and more for about 30-45 minutes. The paper towel came out dry, so I knew it was safe to use at Aulani! During one of our many trips on the Aulani lazy river, both DH and I did some reading on our phones - and DH also played some games on his phone while at the beach - because the touchscreen works through the case. DH called this a game-changer!

- Lululemon Water-resistant Backpack (https://shop.lululemon.com/p/bags/City-Adventurer-Backpack/)
Given the time we'd be spending at the beach, I wanted a water-resistant backpack for the trip, but I wanted it to be a small knapsack. I know they have special "dry bags" for those who do water sports, but I just wanted something simple that could also be used in the city every day. I was pretty happy when I found this backpack - they have two sizes, this one and one larger - it looked nice, was comfy, and also has a separate small section for shoes. It's not entirely waterproof (the zippers are the culprit) but is largely water resistant.

- Arden Cove anti-theft crossbody purse (https://ardencove.com)
I am always so paranoid about losing my wallet and valuables while on vacation. I'm not as worried in places like Hawaii or Japan, but I get anxious when I travel to Europe! This is the best anti-theft purse I've found yet - it's waterproof, slashproof (including the straps), has locking zippers, RFID protection, and interior zippers, pockets, and card slots. It also still looks pretty stylish, unlike some other anti-theft purses on the market! They have a ton of different designs, but I like the crossbody one best. I managed to fit in a large wallet, my cell phone, a small bottle of lotion, my sunglasses, and my lip balm (and probably could have fit in a few more things if I wanted to!) I used this when I didn't need to take my whole backpack with me (eg. just going to lunch/dinner, or to the luau) and also used it to keep my valuables safe and close to me during the plane journey.

- Insulated Water Bottle
(https://www.swellbottle.com/)
I never go to Disney World without one of these - it keeps the water cold for 12+ hours, which is a must in the Hawaii heat!

- Bamboo shirts (https://www.tascperformance.com/)
While cotton shirts are really nice, they can get sticky in humid weather, so I decided to try bamboo shirts, which are moisture-wicking and don't stick to your body in sweat, really breathable, and have UPF 50+ protection. There are two popular brands I tried, Tasc and Freefly. I found Tasc to be slightly better - it's easier to wash as it can be tumble-dried (Freefly needs to be line-dried), and was also more affordable and had more designs than Freefly. I am actually going to get DH a ton of these as he often runs hot!

----
That's about all I can think of (other than the usual basics!) Feel free to reach out with any questions at all and I'll try my best to help you plan your vacation!

Thank you so much to everyone for following along! This is a wonderful community to be a part of. :)

:wave: from upstate NY

I breezed through your report and now need to go back and read more carefully. We're planning to return to Aulani in the winter to redo some past adventures and add a few more.

We also had shave ice at Matsumoto's on the north shore, but trying to be like the locals got ours with beans on the bottom :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

When I was there in March it was $40/ea. We were lucky enough to be there the night of the full moon and made it worth every penny. The astronomer was able to take pictures with our phones and I can enlarge it to see every little bump in the surface of the moon. Very cool!
Such a great way to spend a beautiful evening

Day 8 - our last day at Aulani!

We only had about a half-day before we had to head to the airport - back home to New York and back to reality! I got up early and walked across the street to the "square" to get DH some coffee, and myself an acai bowl, from Island Vintage Coffee Co. This was a great acai bowl - nothing came close to Haleiwa Bowls on the North Shore but this was better than most of the others we tried during the week!

After some quick packing, we headed to the beach and the pools one last time. During our trip, we had especially loved the adults-only infinity hot tub which overlooked the beach, so we spent a ton of time there before, and also played one last game of giant Connect 4 by the beach. After showering and getting cleaned up, we checked out of our room. We shared a poke bowl and a spam musubi from Ulu Cafe for lunch, and then it was unfortunately time to say goodbye to Aulani. We caught a cab to the airport using the flat-rate Charley's Taxi (which are just waiting around at Aulani during the day, so you don't have to worry about making a reservation), and said see ya real soon to Hawaii!

View attachment 435939
Saying aloha and mahalo to beautiful Hawaii!

Overall Thoughts

It was top-to-bottom an amazing vacation. We loved the beaches and had eaten some really great food. The air was so much cleaner than back home, and everything was so casual, and so easy, during our whole trip. Will we be coming back to Hawaii? Without a doubt. I'm not sure we'll be returning to Aulani, though. We paid cash for our reservation, and while we had a lot of fun, it wasn't really worth the (extremely) high price. The slides are fun, but it's easier (and way cheaper) for us to fly to Orlando and go to Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, or Volcano Bay as the slides at Aulani are not too thrilling and were very crowded. The beach at Aulani isn't too exciting -- we had experienced some really fun beaches during our trip which we thought were way better, but we did enjoy the "resort experience," and liked not having to worry about our valuables and cell phones and things while enjoying the ocean. We might try a different luxury resort in Hawaii on our next trip!

The merchandise at Aulani is pretty cute, but unlike our trips to Tokyo and Tokyo Disney, we didn't come home with our bags jam-packed full of souvenirs. I did ship some fragile things home, though (I regularly ship fragile things home, because if they break in transit, you can just call Disney and they'll send you another. If I pack it and break it on the way home, there's nothing I can do to get a resort-exclusive item!) and was impressed by their speedy and prompt service - it was shipped out the next day (I got an email with the tracking # and everything) and arrived in New York swiftly 2-3 days later. But we did come back with a whole bunch of happy fun Hawaii memories!

View attachment 435940
Wish I still had this incredible view of the beach from the adults-only hot tub at Aulani!

Helpful Packing Items
I'm not an influencer or anything, nor do I make money off recommending any of these products, but I thought I'd put on here some helpful packing items as I spent a lot of time trying and finding lots of different products for items for our vacation, so I figured I'd summarize my winners here for you in case it helps!

- Foldable beach blanket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J65KXML)
This is a waterproof, super compact and light beach blanket. I'd bought a few to test from Amazon before the trip - the sand just fell right off this one, and it didn't get damp when splashed constantly with water. It's pretty small, though - fits 2 people at max. I would just recommend you buy multiples for more people or individual ones if people like to lie down!

- Anker waterproof phone case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TFJMQ4)
I am super risk-averse so I wanted a waterproof phone case from a reputable brand. I tested these in my bathtub by putting a paper towel inside, and then submerging it underwater, moving it up and down in and out of the water, and more for about 30-45 minutes. The paper towel came out dry, so I knew it was safe to use at Aulani! During one of our many trips on the Aulani lazy river, both DH and I did some reading on our phones - and DH also played some games on his phone while at the beach - because the touchscreen works through the case. DH called this a game-changer!

- Lululemon Water-resistant Backpack (https://shop.lululemon.com/p/bags/City-Adventurer-Backpack/)
Given the time we'd be spending at the beach, I wanted a water-resistant backpack for the trip, but I wanted it to be a small knapsack. I know they have special "dry bags" for those who do water sports, but I just wanted something simple that could also be used in the city every day. I was pretty happy when I found this backpack - they have two sizes, this one and one larger - it looked nice, was comfy, and also has a separate small section for shoes. It's not entirely waterproof (the zippers are the culprit) but is largely water resistant.

- Arden Cove anti-theft crossbody purse (https://ardencove.com)
I am always so paranoid about losing my wallet and valuables while on vacation. I'm not as worried in places like Hawaii or Japan, but I get anxious when I travel to Europe! This is the best anti-theft purse I've found yet - it's waterproof, slashproof (including the straps), has locking zippers, RFID protection, and interior zippers, pockets, and card slots. It also still looks pretty stylish, unlike some other anti-theft purses on the market! They have a ton of different designs, but I like the crossbody one best. I managed to fit in a large wallet, my cell phone, a small bottle of lotion, my sunglasses, and my lip balm (and probably could have fit in a few more things if I wanted to!) I used this when I didn't need to take my whole backpack with me (eg. just going to lunch/dinner, or to the luau) and also used it to keep my valuables safe and close to me during the plane journey.

- Insulated Water Bottle (https://www.swellbottle.com/)
I never go to Disney World without one of these - it keeps the water cold for 12+ hours, which is a must in the Hawaii heat!

- Bamboo shirts (https://www.tascperformance.com/)
While cotton shirts are really nice, they can get sticky in humid weather, so I decided to try bamboo shirts, which are moisture-wicking and don't stick to your body in sweat, really breathable, and have UPF 50+ protection. There are two popular brands I tried, Tasc and Freefly. I found Tasc to be slightly better - it's easier to wash as it can be tumble-dried (Freefly needs to be line-dried), and was also more affordable and had more designs than Freefly. I am actually going to get DH a ton of these as he often runs hot!

----
That's about all I can think of (other than the usual basics!) Feel free to reach out with any questions at all and I'll try my best to help you plan your vacation!

Thank you so much to everyone for following along! This is a wonderful community to be a part of. :)

Thank you so much. Really enjoyed this. I do have a few questions that I hope you will answer? You said there were taxis outside Aulani that just wait and don’t have to be reserved in advance. Can you please tell me the cost? I like not having to reserve in advance. Also was wondering if you brought your own bags for shopping for food for your room, or did they provide them for you?
I was sorry to hear about your spa experience. We’ve had so many wonderful ones during our other stays in Hawaii but at different locations. Spa treatments are too expensive to just be ok. I do agree that Aulani is a beautiful resort, but like other Disney properties way overpriced. There are many other beautiful properties that are much more reasonable. I’m so glad you still enjoyed your vacation.

Thank you so much for your TR! I am so excited for Aulani. The luau and stargazing experiences were really great to read about. I'm torn between the Aulani one and the one you went to. We will be two adults in early 30's (first time to Hawaii). I know you mentioned reading mixed reviews about the Aulani luau. I actually have only read positive ones! What was the deciding factor on your decision?

For the stargazing experience, do you recall them mentioning what would happen if there is rain or clouds? Does the experience still occur as planned? Do you recall the time of the event? Curious to know if I should push it later in the week so to avoid jetlag. I know the first few nights, we will be crashing by 8 or 9pm! :)

Lastly, how much was the animation class and would you recommend it? Husband & I were huge fans of the DHS animation classes and are so so so sad they removed them. Also, what was the time frame?

:wave: from upstate NY

I breezed through your report and now need to go back and read more carefully. We're planning to return to Aulani in the winter to redo some past adventures and add a few more.

We also had shave ice at Matsumoto's on the north shore, but trying to be like the locals got ours with beans on the bottom :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Ooh, have a great time!! If you're in the Honolulu area definitely check out Aloha Shave Ice! They make their own syrups fresh and it makes a world of difference! :) Enjoy!

Thank you so much. Really enjoyed this. I do have a few questions that I hope you will answer? You said there were taxis outside Aulani that just wait and don’t have to be reserved in advance. Can you please tell me the cost? I like not having to reserve in advance. Also was wondering if you brought your own bags for shopping for food for your room, or did they provide them for you?
I was sorry to hear about your spa experience. We’ve had so many wonderful ones during our other stays in Hawaii but at different locations. Spa treatments are too expensive to just be ok. I do agree that Aulani is a beautiful resort, but like other Disney properties way overpriced. There are many other beautiful properties that are much more reasonable. I’m so glad you still enjoyed your vacation.

Of course! I'm happy to help. Charley's Taxi, which is a well-recommended taxi service, has cars waiting just outside Aulani (the bellmen will help you call one over!) during regular day hours (I would probably tell them in advance if you have to go to the airport in the middle of the night or something!) It's a flat rate of $55 from Aulani to the Honolulu Airport, which I think is around the same price or slightly cheaper than Uber, depending on traffic. We did reserve for Charley's Taxi for when we flew into the airport, however - we paid a flat rate $29 to our AirBnB in Waikiki for that route, but Aulani is much further away!

I believe under state law, every shop in Hawaii has to charge a small fee for any shopping bags they provide. We didn't do that much shopping, and so I just carried and used a small foldable tote bag in my purse whenever we went to get groceries.

I hope you have a great vacation!! Totally agreed regarding the spas! I'll have to try some other ones out for a better comparison. :)

Thank you so much for your TR! I am so excited for Aulani. The luau and stargazing experiences were really great to read about. I'm torn between the Aulani one and the one you went to. We will be two adults in early 30's (first time to Hawaii). I know you mentioned reading mixed reviews about the Aulani luau. I actually have only read positive ones! What was the deciding factor on your decision?

For the stargazing experience, do you recall them mentioning what would happen if there is rain or clouds? Does the experience still occur as planned? Do you recall the time of the event? Curious to know if I should push it later in the week so to avoid jetlag. I know the first few nights, we will be crashing by 8 or 9pm! :)

Lastly, how much was the animation class and would you recommend it? Husband & I were huge fans of the DHS animation classes and are so so so sad they removed them. Also, what was the time frame?

:) I hope you have a great trip!! So what I learned from my research is that the luau at Aulani is not actually by Disney - they just hire a company to put on the luau, and I read that it could be a little long-winded. We knew we were only likely to do the luau once in our life, so we wanted to splurge for VIP seating to secure a great view of the show. Aulani had already sold out of the VIP tickets by the time we got around to checking prices, etc., so that was one big thing that factored into our decision. Another factor was that we knew we wanted a small, intimate luau rather than some big mass production, but that is true of both Aulani's luau and Fia Fia, so you're good there!

Fia Fia has multiple "tiers" so I think if you get the middle tier you will surely get a great view (there were only like 3 families in the top tier when we went, so the middle tier was literally right behind us, and some even still got near-center front row views) it will be cheaper than Aulani's VIP tier, so that is another consideration.

Overall, I can't really compare because I haven't been to Aulani's luau, but we had a great time - we found Fia Fia to be funny and entertaining throughout the whole show. There was not a moment to be bored; there was audience participation and I was sad when it ended - I wanted it to keep going! :)

Whichever way you pick -- I hope you really enjoy the experience! :D

As for the stargazing, they actually have you come by 15 minutes before the experience starts to pay the fee. Even though you sign up in the morning, you pay the fee only right before the session -- they said that they do this so that if the class needs to be cancelled due to weather, then they wouldn't need to issue refunds. I think they also said that they would send a text regarding the cancellation in the case of bad weather, so that we wouldn't need to come by at all.

When we went in the summer, there were actually two sessions - one at 8pm and one at 9pm. We picked the 9pm one because we figured it'd be darker at night, but I'm sure the difference is marginal. I definitely think it's a smart move to save it for later in your trip when you can stay up later, though!

The animation class is free! You just need to sign up in the morning at the Pau Hana room. Yes, if you liked the DHS animation class and have the time when you're at Aulani, you should definitely do this - it's the same type of experience, except there is both a drawing portion and a painting portion! It was about 45-50 minutes long; I think my class was at noon but I recall there being other sessions on other days at different times.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!

Ooh, have a great time!! If you're in the Honolulu area definitely check out Aloha Shave Ice! They make their own syrups fresh and it makes a world of difference! :) Enjoy!

Of course! I'm happy to help. Charley's Taxi, which is a well-recommended taxi service, has cars waiting just outside Aulani (the bellmen will help you call one over!) during regular day hours (I would probably tell them in advance if you have to go to the airport in the middle of the night or something!) It's a flat rate of $55 from Aulani to the Honolulu Airport, which I think is around the same price or slightly cheaper than Uber, depending on traffic. We did reserve for Charley's Taxi for when we flew into the airport, however - we paid a flat rate $29 to our AirBnB in Waikiki for that route, but Aulani is much further away!

I believe under state law, every shop in Hawaii has to charge a small fee for any shopping bags they provide. We didn't do that much shopping, and so I just carried and used a small foldable tote bag in my purse whenever we went to get groceries.

I hope you have a great vacation!! Totally agreed regarding the spas! I'll have to try some other ones out for a better comparison. :)

:) I hope you have a great trip!! So what I learned from my research is that the luau at Aulani is not actually by Disney - they just hire a company to put on the luau, and I read that it could be a little long-winded. We knew we were only likely to do the luau once in our life, so we wanted to splurge for VIP seating to secure a great view of the show. Aulani had already sold out of the VIP tickets by the time we got around to checking prices, etc., so that was one big thing that factored into our decision. Another factor was that we knew we wanted a small, intimate luau rather than some big mass production, but that is true of both Aulani's luau and Fia Fia, so you're good there!

Fia Fia has multiple "tiers" so I think if you get the middle tier you will surely get a great view (there were only like 3 families in the top tier when we went, so the middle tier was literally right behind us, and some even still got near-center front row views) it will be cheaper than Aulani's VIP tier, so that is another consideration.

Overall, I can't really compare because I haven't been to Aulani's luau, but we had a great time - we found Fia Fia to be funny and entertaining throughout the whole show. There was not a moment to be bored; there was audience participation and I was sad when it ended - I wanted it to keep going! :)

Whichever way you pick -- I hope you really enjoy the experience! :D

As for the stargazing, they actually have you come by 15 minutes before the experience starts to pay the fee. Even though you sign up in the morning, you pay the fee only right before the session -- they said that they do this so that if the class needs to be cancelled due to weather, then they wouldn't need to issue refunds. I think they also said that they would send a text regarding the cancellation in the case of bad weather, so that we wouldn't need to come by at all.

When we went in the summer, there were actually two sessions - one at 8pm and one at 9pm. We picked the 9pm one because we figured it'd be darker at night, but I'm sure the difference is marginal. I definitely think it's a smart move to save it for later in your trip when you can stay up later, though!

The animation class is free! You just need to sign up in the morning at the Pau Hana room. Yes, if you liked the DHS animation class and have the time when you're at Aulani, you should definitely do this - it's the same type of experience, except there is both a drawing portion and a painting portion! It was about 45-50 minutes long; I think my class was at noon but I recall there being other sessions on other days at different times.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!

Super helpful, Leafyeon! Thanks for sharing the magic!

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Thank you for all the pictures and suggestions. I can't wait for our first visit in March!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter