Oahu & Aulani Trip Report, Summer 2019

Your back! What a bummer about cross contamination at dinner....glad it wasn't any worse for you.

As a dog lover I have to say Pipeline wins the best sticker award. Added Pipeline to bookmarks so we can hopefully make a stop there. We fly in from Maui on a Tuesday morning but they are closed Monday/Tuesday.

Great TR - I love reading along. I also love how adventurous the both of you are with food. I'm sorry about cross-contamination. That's such a bummer and really unprofessional in the F&B world. Glad you had medicine on you!

Your back! What a bummer about cross contamination at dinner....glad it wasn't any worse for you.

As a dog lover I have to say Pipeline wins the best sticker award. Added Pipeline to bookmarks so we can hopefully make a stop there. We fly in from Maui on a Tuesday morning but they are closed Monday/Tuesday.

The dog on the sticker couldn't be more adorable! DH and I totally laughed because we have a running joke that DH is only motivated by the stick, and not the carrot (or here, malasada!) I hope you manage to try Pipeline!

Great TR - I love reading along. I also love how adventurous the both of you are with food. I'm sorry about cross-contamination. That's such a bummer and really unprofessional in the F&B world. Glad you had medicine on you!

You are all so kind! Thank you for your thoughtful and caring words!

Last edited:

Hi All, thanks so much for following along! I really enjoy reading all of your comments and am so grateful that people actually enjoy reading! :)

Day 5 - Aloha to Aulani! (Apologies in advance as most of the photos are in the bottom half of the post!)

The alarm went off early, and the sun and beautiful weather were calling us. We had scheduled on our itinerary to go to Diamond Head for the famous hike that morning! We contemplated it for a little while, but decided to sleep in instead. After experiencing the chaos of the KCC Farmer's Market, we were not keen on doing anything that could involve too many crowds, let alone go on a hot hike!

I walked to the nearby Hiking Hawaii Cafe at the Hilton Doubletree Hotel to pick up acai bowls for our breakfast. They were, unfortunately, overpriced and not very good - too stingy with the toppings and we were both just left with a lot of acai smoothie once all the toppings were eaten! Nothing could come close to Haleiwa Bowls from our day at the North Shore!

We still had our rental car for a few hours, so we decided to drive to Ala Moana Shopping Center -- this is a fairly upscale mall near Honolulu and Waikiki. I wanted to check out the Disney Store and DH agreed because he figured there'd be air-conditioning. DH didn't really get his wish (it's a half-indoors, half-outdoors mall), so instead he sat at a nice coffee place while I took a stroll around the mall. (It was Honolulu Coffee Company - DH told me he really enjoyed it!)

The Disney Store didn't have anything specific to Hawaii, and neither did the mall except for perhaps one or two "local" boutiques. (I add the asterisks because I'm not sure if they are actually local or just aimed at tourists). Everything else was pretty much your standard fancy mall, with familiar brand names. I did find a local bakery but it literally only sold one type of cookie (in multiple flavors). The cookie seemed really delicate and crumbled at the slightest touch when I sampled a piece, so I decided against buying some to take home.

We did realize, however, that the mall had a Musubi Cafe in it! This was great news because it was the last item on our Honolulu to-try list, and we wouldn't have to drive anywhere for it. (We had wanted to check it out on our first day but were a bit lost, so we hadn't wind up going). Musubi Cafe is actually located in this wonderful food court at a corner of the Ala Moana Center with a ton of really great-looking quick-service dining options. We didn't wind up eating lunch there, because DH had wanted his last meal in Honolulu to be at another okazuya (all of our meals on the rest of the trip would be eaten in Ko Olina, since we were returning the rental car that day). But I looked at all the different stalls and people's dishes as they walked by, and they all looked quite mouth-watering! I'd highly recommend you check it out if you're looking for a place to get a quick bite. It looks especially great for families because people can order different types of food from different stalls, but still enjoy eating the meal together. The musubis were delicious, too (DH's favorite musubi of the trip!)

We headed to Nuuanu Okazuya in Honolulu for lunch. If yesterday's okazuya was a casual, homey restaurant, this was even more so - it essentially felt like we were eating in the owner's apartment. There were couches and tables, and a bookshelf for customers to browse. When the employee (likely owner) finished serving customers, he plopped himself down on the couch and watched the Food Network on TV in the middle of the restaurant! I browsed some books as I ate my meal - the shelf had a lot of cookbooks on Hawaiian and Hawaiian-Japanese cuisine and I loved taking a peek at the different recipes!

The food was affordable and of a good quality. To me, it wasn't as good as the Masa & Joyce Okazuya we ate at yesterday, but I think it was because the vegetables were cold rather than warm (the meats/proteins were warm). Notwithstanding that, the place truly seemed like a small community restaurant, as if we were eating a home-cooked meal. As I understand it, you typically get to pick whatever you want at an okazuya, so most people will get rice or noodles, and then just pick some choices of different meats or vegetables. DH picked up a chicken katsu, and while he agreed that the food overall wasn't as good as yesterday's okazuya, he raved about the chicken katsu for the rest of the trip. I didn't quite understand it (isn't breaded chicken just always breaded chicken? It's good, but how good can it get?) but according to DH it was just the right preparation, with everything in the correct proportions.

We picked up our bags from the AirBnB, and drove back to the Sheraton Hotel in Waikiki to return the car to Avis. (The first reason we rented from the Avis at Sheraton was so we wouldn't have to wait in a long line at the airport. The second reason was so we could order an Uber and wait somewhere easily accessible and comfortable with our suitcases (as opposed to a side of the road somewhere) when it came time to head to Aulani). The Uber came promptly and he drove us to Aulani! The cost for the Uber was around $55, and took around 40-45 minutes.

Welcome to Aulani!

The architecture is so intricate and beautiful!

We had checked in online, so we were promptly given leis and provided with our room keys right as we drove up. It was around 2:15 when we arrived, but our room was already ready. While our request for a king-size bed wasn't met, we were told we were upgraded from an Island View to a Partial Ocean view. We were fine either way, and I had known we were coming to Aulani at a busy time, so we just went with the flow.

Partial Ocean View indeed!

We explored the resort, and each enjoyed a delicious shave ice! It was a little too sweet (DH bemoaned not being able to stop by Aloha Shave Ice one more time) but nonetheless still tasty. While the Mickey ears were adorable, they were awfully difficult to eat! About 30-40% of my shave ice actually fell off the container and onto the floor, but it was worth it to get the cute ears at least once!

All the shave ice flavors!

DH got condensed milk on his!

We hopped into the pools and went around the lazy river for a bit and also tried the slides. We also shared an adorable Mickey spam musubi (how many musubis is too many for a Hawaiian vacation?!) and hung around the pools till evening. After we got cleaned up, we headed to Monkeypod Kitchen across the street for dinner.

Up close and personal with a Mickey musubi! (Can someone teach me how to rotate photos on here?)

I had made a reservation at Monkeypod a few weeks ago, because I knew Aulani would be busy and was afraid the restaurant might be too. That probably wasn't necessary - the restaurant was huge, so while there were lots of people dining there, there was also plenty of space. I'm afraid I don't remember what we ate (I know we had some tasty wings, but that's because we always get wings... I literally had wings for dinner this evening), but it was all pretty good, and we loved just sitting in restaurant, enjoying the ocean breeze and each others' company. I had read mixed reviews of Monkeypod - some people love it, and others seem to think that people love it just because it's not Aulani food - but the food was of a high quality and service was excellent, so we had no complaints at all. I think DH even treated himself to a nice slice of coconut pie for dessert!

We stopped by the Island Country Markets store nearby to pick up a big bottle of water for our room, and walked back over to Aulani. A great day!

A towel swan and a Mickey-shaped towel bundle was in our room when we checked in! I rarely get towel animals at WDW or at Disneyland, so this was a delightful surprise!

Stay tuned for Day 6 - beach time at Aulani and an excellent luau!

I am flying out tomorrow morning to Walt Disney World! Unfortunately, that means I'll have to disappear again this weekend. But Iife should be back to normal on Monday, so I should be able to finish up the whole trip next week! Thanks so much for following along patiently and I hope you're all enjoying it as much as I am! :)

What a gorgeous, gorgeous trip report! I'm really enjoying reading about trip. I love your writing and your photos and it's so lovely that you focus so much on food (my #1 passion haha). I look forward to reading the rest! :lovestruc

The dog on the sticker couldn't be more adorable! DH and I totally laughed because we have a running joke that DH is only motivated by the stick, and not the carrot (or here, malasada!) I hope you manage to try Pipeline!

Our last full day at Aulani we have a cabana reserved so I think I'll get up early and hike Diamond Head with my 13 yr old. My mom can go down and get our cabana and we will bring back malasada's from Pipeline!

Just curious if the cookie store was Honolulu Cookie Company - those cookies are phenomenal! I ordered some online and cant wait to go visit one while I am there.

Looking forward to hearing more next week!

Our last full day at Aulani we have a cabana reserved so I think I'll get up early and hike Diamond Head with my 13 yr old. My mom can go down and get our cabana and we will bring back malasada's from Pipeline!

Malasadas will be the perfect post-hike treat! :)

Just curious if the cookie store was Honolulu Cookie Company - those cookies are phenomenal! I ordered some online and cant wait to go visit one while I am there.

Looking forward to hearing more next week!

I think it was! I wasn't really a fan, but it must be popular since they have such a large storefront at the mall! I hope you like it even better in person! :)

Hey All - thanks so much for following along, and my apologies for the delay! I've just returned from a wonderful trip to Walt Disney World and loved getting to try all the foods at Epcot and going to Batuu for the first time. If it weren't so exceedingly hot in Florida nine months of the year, I could totally see myself becoming a local... but that's just something to dream about!

I've drafted up the next installment of the trip report, but it's now nearly 2 a.m. so I think I'll have to post it tomorrow so I can get the photos organized for it! See you back here tomorrow!

Hi All,

I've returned! Thanks so much for your patience with me - I should be able to finish up the trip report this week! I am thankful for all of you who have continued on my journey recapping my vacation with me!

Day 6 - Aulani Day and our first Luau!

I awoke early to wander the grounds and to get breakfast for DH and I. I got myself an acai bowl (ha, yes, I got yet another!) and got DH a croissant breakfast sandwich. Both were fine, but nothing stellar. I also got in line outside the Pau Hana room to sign us up for the day's activities. We couldn't bear to miss the ukelele class! I got there about 15-20 minutes before signups opened, and was the fourth person in line. (The next day, I got there about 10-15 minutes before signups opened, and was perhaps the tenth or twelfth person in line. Nonetheless, the classes are pretty big, so I would say that you don't need to arrive more than 10-15 minutes early!)

Anyone else really need this Aulani Mickey lamp?!

As we got ready to hit the beach, we played with the room TV for a bit. Aulani doesn't really have Resort TV like they have at Walt Disney World, but they do have a nice screen that you can navigate to find out more about the different amenities they have. We got dressed in our swimsuits and started off a wonderful day at the beach and pool! It was a lovely, sunny day - the waves were small at the Aulani lagoon but we had a great time just enjoying the resort.

We managed to claim some chairs on a ledge overlooking the beach and dried ourselves off before the ukelele lesson at the Pau Hana room! The CMs managing the signups had informed us that people often arrived in their swimsuits, and that it was totally fine (but to bring a towel in case it was cold with the AC!) DH is left-handed, and they had asked that when we signed up for the class, so there was a left-handed ukelele all tuned and ready for him during the class. I thought that was very thoughtful! (They also have smaller ukeleles for kids!)

The CM guiding the lesson, as well as the two assistant CMs, were all fantastic. They taught us a little about different Hawaiian instruments and let some kids try some traditional instruments before moving on and giving us all ukeleles. They taught us a few easy chords, and then moved onto some easy songs! The class was very easy to follow and moved slowly to give everyone enough time to practice. I had to leave the class halfway because there was sand in my swimsuit from the beach that was really bothering me, so even though I had to miss a small portion of the lesson, it was easy to catch up.

We had a very enjoyable lesson, but the best part of it was that after the class, the CMs told us that we could rent ukeleles any time during our stay at Aulani to continue practicing! DH was very excited at the prospect of this, though he never wound up doing it (he only remembered while we were on our way to the airport, unfortunately!) I actually had seen someone renting not only a ukelele but also a small book of Disney ukelele songs! Oh well, it'll be on our to-do list for the next trip.

We went back to our seats by overlooking the beach and ordered lunch from the Off the Hook pool bar. I don't remember what DH got, but I got the ahi sandwich, and it was fantastic! Well-cooked and perfectly seasoned; what I'd give to have one here right now in NYC! I also ordered a Lilikoi Splash drink - because, after all, I was on a resort vacation in Hawaii!

My camera roll is reminding me that I also enjoyed a tasty and delicious, classic Disney Dole Whip! It was excellent as always! (On another note, I just went to Animal Kingdom this past weekend and had a really poor quality Dole Whip - it was a soggy fiasco right from the start. Perhaps it was just a really hot day? It feels like it wasn't even holding its shape when it was given to me, and also tasted kind of powdery and weird. Anyone else ever get that at AK?)

We hung around the beach and pool for a bit more before getting dressed and ready for Fia Fia luau. This is a small luau held at the Marriott Beach Club nearby. It's hosted by Chief Sielu, who regularly does his own (extremely popular) luau show, Chief's Luau. We had been deciding between the Aulani luau, Fia Fia, and going to the usual spot for Chief's Luau (the nearby Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii). Reviews of the Aulani luau seemed mixed, and they had also run out of the higher tier of tickets. Since I figured we would only be doing the luau as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I really wanted a great experience! We also ruled out the luau at nearby Paradise Cove, as it seemed far too large. I had made a couple of calls and discovered that while we could easily Uber to the Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii to attend Chief's Luau, Fia Fia is actually the exact same show! Plus, the backdrop for Fia Fia is a beach, and the luau itself is relatively small and intimate, which (in my view) seemed way better than at a water park. So Fia Fia it was! I called the Marriott before our trip to purchase our tickets over the phone, which was a smooth and easy transaction.

There is a free inter-resort shuttle bus which goes between the different Ko Olina resorts, including Aulani and the Marriott. Unfortunately, because I had misread my watch, we thought we were going to be late and decided to walk over instead of waiting for the bus. This was a longer walk than expected - about five long city blocks - and still quite hot in the late afternoon, so it was definitely a mistake as we arrived far too sweaty. (We realized how easily accessible the nearby supermarket is to Aulani -- the poor folks at the Marriott would have to take the bus or the long walk to get any groceries!)

We actually wound up being early for check-in, so we had to wait in line. There are different "check-in" sections for the three tiers of seating, and so if you're early, you still have to wait in front of your check-in section until they open check-in (no matter what tier you are in). We had purchased the highest tier to guarantee an excellent view, but in hindsight that wasn't necessary - there were only about three families (including us) in this highest tier, so the next-highest tier still got excellent center views.

After check-in, they directed each family/group over to take photos with the Chief and his crew (which are later sold for $30 apiece) and offered us a drink. The luau employees then hosted various pre-show activities. These were not very good - there was some leaf weaving, fire-starting, free "tattoos," and some artists making or selling crafts. Luckily, we had our fill of activities from our day at the Polynesian Cultural Center, but I'd say that this was a low point in the luau as there really wasn't much interactive activity.

Before the luau, they also showed us the roasted pig and the traditional method of cooking the pig. We then got to head to the buffet line. The food was excellent. The kalua pork was tender and delicious, the chicken long rice was tasty, the bread was good, delicious poi and salmon, etc. Everything was surprisingly good quality. (I usually find buffets quite mediocre so this was a very pleasant surprise!) Both DH and I stuffed ourselves, and I even snuck over to the kid's section to try their chicken tenders and pasta, which was good too! The only low point was the dessert, which was plain supermarket sheet cakes.

Hang loose!

The luau was amazing. They showcased dances and different aspects of culture from around the various Polynesian islands, and even had some interactive audience portions that still flowed well and didn't feel the least bit forced. It was a fantastic, well put-together show that left us wanting more. The Chief was funny and engaging throughout the whole show, and I think even kids would stay entertained during the whole show. They ended the show with their showstopper fire knife dancing; apparently some of the Chief's team are world champions in fire knife dancing. It doesn't last for too long, though, so really enjoy it before it's over!

We took the free resort bus back to Aulani with happy hearts! What a great day full of new experiences.

Sunset from the Marriott Beach (aka the view from the luau!)

Stay tuned for Day 7 - warp speed doing everything at Aulani as it was our last full day!

Attachments

• IMG_20190813_130437.jpg
    IMG_20190813_130437.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
I want that lamp now! Well and the drink and the dole whip.

Hahaha same!! :P I wish they had that lamp for sale! I saw it in the "Welcome to DVC" area. Plus, there is never a bad time for Dole Whips.. I literally have one a day when I'm at Disney World!

Day 7 - Warp Speed Around Aulani!

It was our last full day at Aulani resort, so we had a jam-packed schedule of fun! I had awoken early, caught the sunrise from the beach, and wandered around the resort in its eerie quiet before most folks were up and about. I also managed to do laundry early in the morning (very expensive, but the machines were satisfactory). When DH was up, we grabbed breakfast at Ulu Cafe again - DH and I shared some eggs and sausages. (Pity they haven't got Mickey waffles except at the character buffet!) At the Pau Hana room, I signed myself up for the Animation class (DH wasn't interested), and signed both of us up for the Explore the Stars paid experience for later at night. We then headed to the beach and pool for another gorgeous morning!

Sunrise at Aulani's beach

I then headed off to the animation class, where we learned to draw Goofy and then had a chance to paint a Disney character on a transparency sheet (it's meant to be like traditional animation cels). This is a lot like Animation Academy at the parks, except with a painting session as well, so if you enjoy that, I'd recommend it. It's easy enough to follow along, but nothing too new or exciting if you've already done it before or if you regularly draw or paint!

The Mickey-shaped paints were the cutest little touch! (With the Aulani symbol in the middle!)

For lunch, DH and I crossed the street to the nearby "square" (where the supermarket is) and went to Eggs 'N' Things for lunch. We have eaten Eggs 'N' Things in Japan before, so we were excited to try it in Hawaii, where it is originally from. Unfortunately, after a week of pretty good Hawaiian food, Eggs 'N' Things didn't quite seem as enjoyable as it had been in Japan! It's not terribly authentic, but the food is fine as far as it goes. We walked around the square for a bit, checking out some of the shops.

It was a bright and sunny day - this is the view of Aulani as you head back from the square across the street!

We quickly squeezed in some more pool time before heading to our first ever spa visit! We had pre-booked our spa experiences over the phone - DH wanted a facial and I wanted to try out a massage. The Aulani spa is really nice - they take you in and make it seem like an "experience" rather than just a spa treatment. In addition, spa visitors are invited to come early to try out several different pools and rainhead showers, but we wound up spending most of our pre-spa time at the hot tub (in fact, that's where almost everyone was!) A CM came to let us know that our appointment times would be coming up soon, so we both got showered in the very nice spa facilities before heading to our treatments.

Gorgeous Aulani wallpaper along the hallway corridors! Can you spot a few hidden Mickeys?

I had picked the signature lomi lomi massage which incorporates lomilomi sticks and warm river stones. The masseuse had allowed me to pick a scented lotion and proceeded to use it all over my body during the treatment. The treatment was quite nice, but not as strong as I expected -- I am a very high-strung person, so I figured a massage would relax me, but I did not really feel any different at the end of the treatment except that I smelled like a walking pineapple from the scented lotion. Overall, given the price we paid, the spa was a nice experience, but DH and I agreed that the treatments were kind of "meh." We will be going to other spas in the future, but probably would not do the spa again at Aulani. They did give us some lovely bath salts to take home with us, though!

We got freshened up back in our room and then headed downstairs to play the Menehune Scavenger Hunt! DH loves scavenger hunts and "completionist" activities, like Wilderness Explorers in Animal Kingdom, Soceror's in Magic Kingdom, and Agent P's in Epcot. This is most similar to Agent P's -- you get to go around the resort and can interact with different things at the hotel, which makes it really enjoyable. Like Agent P at Epcot, the videos/narrative are a bit long and can get repetitive and dull, but we had a fun time playing it anyway, and there were some particularly cool effects.

A lemon Mickey-shaped financier cake we picked up along the way from Ulu Cafe. It was very moist and rich - DH loves financiers and this one was no exception!

We returned the scavenger hunt iPad with just enough time to catch daily storytelling at the fire pit. This is a very simple and fun activity, and we got to hear about a Hawaiian legend from the host Uncle, who is funny and engaging. We definitely wished we could have watched more of him!

Storytelling by Uncle at the fire pit, with the sunset in the back!

We then headed to dinner in the Olelo Room - a beautifully decorated bar/lounge at Aulani which celebrates the traditional Hawaiian language. While the food there is mostly just appetizers, you can have a tapas-style meal by ordering a few appetizers to share amongst a small group of people. One of the dishes we ordered was the poke appetizer, and it was incredible. Definitely the best "poke" I'd ever had, even though it was not a traditional "poke bowl."

We also got some sushi. Look at the Mickey-shaped wasabi!! And the Mickey imprint on the chopsticks!

Our last activity of the day was the Explore the Stars paid activity. The Pau Hana room CMs had told us it was hosted by a former NASA scientist. Though the activity was pretty expensive, we took the risk - and it definitely paid off! It was truly an out-of-this world experience! The scientist leading the activity set up telescopes to see different planets and stars, and changed them throughout the session while explaining for us the different things we are seeing through the telescopes. Have you ever seen the rings of Saturn? We got to see that - it was crazy! And a very, very clear view of the surface of the moon! And many other stars and other amazing phenomenon in space. The scientist explained everything very patiently and answered one million questions from us - he has apparently been doing this activity for around 12 years at the different resorts around Ko Olina, which explains why it is so fantastic!

Even without the telescope, the moon was so bright and full in the sky!

He also taught us a little bit about wayfinding from Moana and explained what Moana was doing with her hands and how it worked to help her find "home." (I won't spoil it for you here!) The activity as a whole was one of the most memorable experiences of our entire trip, and a perfect way to cap off our last night in Hawaii. DH and I both agreed that it was totally worth the price - better than any science museum or planetarium, and we've visited ones all over! - and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

The scientist with one of his two large telescopes!

It was a perfect way to end our last full day in Hawaii. What a bittersweet farewell!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter