O/T Education advocacy for Aspergers

duchy

Earning My Ears
Hi
Sorry this is OT but I've had an email from a lady in the US who has a six year old son who has just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. As you can imagine she has a million and one questions which I'm trying to answer (I'm mum to Josh age 12 who also has AS which is why I got her mail).
Anyway...one question I can't answer is I want to try and put her in touch with an organisation that helps parents get educational help-her son's school have told her his IQ is too high to qualify for classroom aid. Over here in the UK we have an organisation called KIDs which has local branches who will advise parents on education rights and act as advocates if needed-is there a similar organization in the US.
Hope someone out there can help me to help her.
Thanks

Our kids are on an IPP at school, and they have a YSF (IPP=Individualized Program Plan, and a YSF is a Youth Services Facilitator) She has a Resource Room, and if the boys need to go there during the run of the day, they do. She is also responsible for other children who are not on a "typical" cirriculum.

Not aware of any National group that provides support/resources. We're in Canada..but the Canadian Autism Society may have more info...

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help...invite her here..:)

:sunny:

Hi, the first thing she needs to to is get a hold of an educational advocate in her area that specializes in special ed. They will be aware of what the law is. This is important as what the law says and what the school wants to do are two different things. She can find one by checking out her local autism support groups or organizations. Other parents are a great resource to.

OK
That's helpful -thank you.
I've already suggested she tries to find a local support group. Here education departments by law have to provide an independent free advisory service (either run by them or contracted out to another body) obviously you don't have that system in the US-wanted to make sure I'm giving her accurate advice until she finds local support. I know from personal experience how tough it can be to get adequate provision having spent nine months myself last year battling my own education dept who's idea of provision was very different to mine (I won-but it was nine months of hell).
I'm a little tired of the assumption that a high IQ means that the education system can attempt to weasel out of their obligations <grrr>
Rant over-thanks to everyone who replied to a very OT subject

My DH just finished a class dealing with special ed, so some of this comes from him, and a little from dealing with my DS and his school.
Autism (aspergers is usually considered to be in the autism spectrum) has been covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) since 1990. Our school told us our AS child was covered under Autism. Through the education laws, he is entitled to "Free Appropriate Public Education" (FAPE). As such, he is entitled to an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Also any necessary related services.
Also, if that doesn't help, if his impairment substantially limits one or more major life activities (including caring for self, performing manual tasks, and learning) he should be eligible under Section 504 (part of Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973). But, there is no funding for 504, so the schools don't like to use 504.
We had to voice our concerns over specific problems, for a period of time, before an effective IEP was in place. The school assembled a team including the general education teacher, the school psychologist, the principal, special ed teacher, speech services and us, the parents. The team varies with the needs of the child. After the initial meeting, testing was done, including by an OT. A series of meetings were held during which the results were discussed, then as a team a plan was formed, documented, and implemented.

For a sample IEP and other info, check under Education on the Oasis website at
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

I was not able to find an agency to advocate in my area, but there now is a local support group that may build to that level. I did find a local agency for mental health + education issues that looked into the possibility of helping me, but in the end they weren't able to. So the possibility could exist that another agency could possibly help.

I'd just like to insert here that special education services are determined by the needs of the child, not by the label of their disability. Having said that, there's more to placement than just one's IQ. The mother in this case needs to make sure that school is not just doing educational testing, but also doing a behavior inventory. She also needs to come prepared with specific reasons as to why her child needs special education services, especially if doesn't meet the guidelines of having learning difficulties (these vary from state to state).

Because Asperger's is generally regarded to be a high-functioning type of autism, the burden of proof is really on the parents to prove that their child can't function in the regular classroom.

Parents also need to keep in mind that schools are only required to provide an appropriate education, not the perfect one. A parent may have an uphill battle on their hands when dealing with a child who is high-functioning. If the child has previously been doing "okay" in the classroom without support, then the school system is much more likely to claim that the education is appropriate and no further measures are needed.

I would like to suggest sending her to www.aspergersyndrome.org and having her email Barb Kirby to get into the forums. There is a woman on there (AnchovyEater) who is a wellspring of information and advice on educational advocacy for AS.

Hope she gets the services her child needs. High IQ doesn't mean a child doesn't need services!

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter