*o* August Check-In Thread *o*

It's starting to become real for me! I usually get excited while booking a trip, and then start feeling it again about a month before I leave. :goodvibes

My only issue with this trip is the family that we didn't invite this time. I haven't been able to tell them due to stressful events in their life recently. I have a sneaking suspicion that they aren't going to take it well. My dd and I really want to do this trip as a mom/daughter thing. She'll be 17 soon, and she barely ever has free time anymore. My DH is really supportive, my friends are saying it's a great idea, but the guilt is still gnawing at me a little. :worried:

Try not to let it stress you out, enjoy the trip with your daughter it was be an amazing time with just her. They should understand that this is a special trip for you two.

August 14 - 16, BWPPI

Traveling from TX. Disney is the last three days of a 13 day vacay in CA that stretches from NorCal to SoCal.
Me, DH, DD 28 and her DH 30, DD 10, DD 6 and granddaughter 6 mos.
I grew up in CA so I've been to DL many times as a kid before I joined the Army. As an adult I've been to DL/DCA 2008 and 2014. WDW 2016.

Our first day in the parks is my son-in-law's 30th birthday. Fantasmic DR at BB to celebrate. Any other suggestions?

Feeling pressure trying to help my oldest DD prepare for having a 6 month old at DL for 3 days. Booked the BWPPI so we'd be as close as possible to the parks so she can head to the hotel if she needs. Anyone have any experience with an infant at the parks? Any areas for nursing?

Hi there! We are WDW vets, but we are going to DL for the very first time in August! We fly in to SNA on August 13, and are staying one night at the Springhill Suites Maingate, and then transferring to the DLH for the remainder of our stay. We'll be in the parks on August 14, 15, & 16, and then we fly home on the 17th. My DH, DS 16 and DS 14 and I are really excited to give DL a try! So glad to part of the August check in thread!
Those are the exact dates we'll be there. I'm bummed that I recently realized the park hours are shorter that week. Just that week for some reason. We planned this trip long before the hours were posted or I might have avoided that week. I feel like I have to be much more strategic because of the shorter hours, especially in DCA. I was planning on having more time each day. Not being able to get into a park until 9am seems crazy to me!

August 14 - 16, BWPPI

Traveling from TX. Disney is the last three days of a 13 day vacay in CA that stretches from NorCal to SoCal.
Me, DH, DD 28 and her DH 30, DD 10, DD 6 and granddaughter 6 mos.
I grew up in CA so I've been to DL many times as a kid before I joined the Army. As an adult I've been to DL/DCA 2008 and 2014. WDW 2016.

Our first day in the parks is my son-in-law's 30th birthday. Fantasmic DR at BB to celebrate. Any other suggestions?

Feeling pressure trying to help my oldest DD prepare for having a 6 month old at DL for 3 days. Booked the BWPPI so we'd be as close as possible to the parks so she can head to the hotel if she needs. Anyone have any experience with an infant at the parks? Any areas for nursing?
They have an area in each park for nursing moms. It won't help if you're in the back of the park, but it's still a wonderful resource. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/baby-center-lost-children/

Anyone have must see characters?

If you look at our title and my picture we love the Pooh Bear Group.
The year they were remodeling Pooh's Corner we booked Minnie's Plaza Breakfast to see the Pooh Clan. We are now hooked at going to breakfast there. So many characters and only dinning with a lot more than the Fab Five.

Omg this Trip needs to hurry up and get here. i keep checking hotel reviews and I have changed my hotel choice 5 times. Well my lovely DH said I need to stop so I finally chose and prepaid with no cancellation so now I'm stuck and can't change my mind. I started with CCI then desert Inn then Hojo then BWPPI and finally ended up with Courtyard Marriott theme park entrance. The price finally dropped to where I'm comfortable paying it. I just wish then didn't have a parking fee

Looks like I’ll be there the same time as a bunch of others! Driving down to Anaheim August 13th with four girlfriends, staying that night at the Grand Legacy at the Park, 14th-16th at the Grand Californian and in the Parks, then staying the night of the 16th about an hour north of the city and heading home. Initially, I was a little bummed about the reduced hours, but since we’re there three days and have Maxpass + EMH/MM, I’m kind of okay with the extra sleep!

Hi Everyone, I just joined the boards- we are first timers but WDW vets, my crew is my wife and 3 girls ages 13, 10, 9. We'll be at DLR from 8/27-9/3 staying at the DLH. We usually go to WDW in August so we're used to the heat, this year we decided to hit the west coast, i'm really looking forward to the lower humidity in SoCal.

We've got 5 day park hoppers and maxpass. I'm an obsessive WDW planner and DL has me a bit concerned with putting together a good touring plan.

Welp is looking more and more likely that I’ll have to postpone my trip with my recent setback in my recovery. Guess I won’t ever be able to ride Heimlich. Well at least I get to save more and have a better vacation.

I feel like we got pretty lucky with only Matterhorn and tiki room being down during our dates. My son has never ridden splash because it’s been closed every time, and my dad hasn’t ridden Indy since it opened in 95 because it’s always been closed. We were pretty bummed out that map wasn’t running any of our days in DL, but that’s ok.

So far I haven’t seen any reports on the construction causing issues in DTD. That is our biggest fear...the demo starts and for some reason we can’t use the monorail in and out of the park to DLH. It’s such a feet saver. As much as I’ve been on my family to start walking to get feet ready, no one listens. It’s so worth the effort to keep you from being miserable at the parks. Oh well.

I’m not super thrilled with the new Mickey’s character breakfast just being the fab 5, but the reviews on how good the food has been is making sure I keep the ADR.

3 weeks left!!!

Summer has finally arrived, we are 3 days in to 30+ temps and my hubby is crabby... Could be an interesting trip in August hahah...

What is everyone's tips and tricks for going in the high temps?

I have never been one to take breaks during the day we just power through and have a bit of a break during a meal or people watching etc. But this trip might call for a mid day break back at the hotel to shower change and cool down. Back in 2011 when I went with just my daughter we I gave up trying to get her out of the hotel early and I just let her sleep in and I went to the pool for the morning. Then we would have a late lunch and head to the parks for the evenings but that year I remember the parks being open till midnight or later.

Summer has finally arrived, we are 3 days in to 30+ temps and my hubby is crabby... Could be an interesting trip in August hahah...

What is everyone's tips and tricks for going in the high temps?

I have never been one to take breaks during the day we just power through and have a bit of a break during a meal or people watching etc. But this trip might call for a mid day break back at the hotel to shower change and cool down. Back in 2011 when I went with just my daughter we I gave up trying to get her out of the hotel early and I just let her sleep in and I went to the pool for the morning. Then we would have a late lunch and head to the parks for the evenings but that year I remember the parks being open till midnight or later.
My husband gets crabby in the heat too. I learned this the hard way a few trips, and since then we have to take hotel breaks if we are visiting during the summer. Honestly, I could probably stay in the parks until I passed out, but DH doesn't apparently share the same level of enthusiasm as I do, so we go back and take a mini nap, shower if it's been an unusually hot day, and have a bite to eat before heading back. Last time we went I was able to utilize Maxpass from the room and have our line up ready to go for when we returned. That took away a bit of the anxiety for me of wanting to be in the action! I love Maxpass so much!

In addition to an afternoon break we just make sure we are drinking water all day, even if we aren't thirsty. Keeping hydrated is the key!

My husband gets crabby in the heat too. I learned this the hard way a few trips, and since then we have to take hotel breaks if we are visiting during the summer. Honestly, I could probably stay in the parks until I passed out, but DH doesn't apparently share the same level of enthusiasm as I do, so we go back and take a mini nap, shower if it's been an unusually hot day, and have a bite to eat before heading back. Last time we went I was able to utilize Maxpass from the room and have our line up ready to go for when we returned. That took away a bit of the anxiety for me of wanting to be in the action! I love Maxpass so much!

In addition to an afternoon break we just make sure we are drinking water all day, even if we aren't thirsty. Keeping hydrated is the key!

I love max pass too... That definitely will help me too. I just feel like I am missing out if I am not in the park, I Might be a weee bit obsessed haha.

I bought some tablets to put in water the other day to take with us called Hydralyte. I figure it can't hurt and the package is small like a pill bottle.

I can't wait to go.... :Pinkbounc

Welp is looking more and more likely that I’ll have to postpone my trip with my recent setback in my recovery. Guess I won’t ever be able to ride Heimlich. Well at least I get to save more and have a better vacation.
I'm sorry to hear that you may not be able to go. I've had to cancel vacations before due to illness, and it just plain stinks. I hope you are able to go soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!