NYE...if we avoid the parks, what resort most fun...

eliasjohn

Earning My Ears
Hi and thanks in advance!

If we avoid the parks/NYE crowds, would you recommend a particular resort to enjoy the evening/countdown? Our obvious inclination is to try to hang around Polynesian (attempting ADR, hang on beach afterwards), but are open to suggestions!

We had a great time one year at the Boardwalk. They had a DJ and dancing and gave out hats and noise makers. That's been several years now so not sure they do the hand outs still but I believe they still do the DJ. We also saw the fireworks too. Oh and had snacks and drinks from different places around the Boardwalk area.

Hi and thanks in advance!

If we avoid the parks/NYE crowds, would you recommend a particular resort to enjoy the evening/countdown? Our obvious inclination is to try to hang around Polynesian (attempting ADR, hang on beach afterwards), but are open to suggestions!
Are you talking about this NYE? Most everything central or with a fireworks view is likely booked at this point. Even with an ADR at the Poly, you will not be allowed on the beach for fireworks. They limit it to Poly guests only on NYE.

Just a small clarification that you are allowed on the Poly beach fireworks viewing area with a Poly dining reservation on 12/31. Granted they could change things this year, but this was last year. The reserved area this sign applied to is the "main" beach area between the boat dock and the first bungalow (which is the best viewing spot from Poly, generally speaking).

IMG_2528.jpg

We had a great time at Poly for NYE last year, although we were guests.

Where are you staying? If I wasn't going to the parks (and even if I was) I would try to limit travel. The traffic is cray cray on NYE.

100 likes to this. All DIS hyperbole aside, that day is unique. I have never been so happy to be staying at a monorail resort as I was that day - whizzing by on our way to/from Epcot looking at the absurd traffic below.

Pack your patience. :car:

We had a great time one year at the Boardwalk. They had a DJ and dancing and gave out hats and noise makers. That's been several years now so not sure they do the hand outs still but I believe they still do the DJ. We also saw the fireworks too. Oh and had snacks and drinks from different places around the Boardwalk area.

Boardwalk did the same this past year. DJ dance party on the green. Handed hats and noisemakers down on Boardwalk closer to midnight. Of course only partial view of fireworks but was enough for us.

I would pick the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower theme park view. You'll be on the monorail so you don't have to worry about driving if you want to visit the other Magic Kingdom resorts. You'll also be able to have a front row seat to the fireworks far away from the crowds. That's what we are doing this year.

Just a small clarification that you are allowed on the Poly beach fireworks viewing area with a Poly dining reservation on 12/31. Granted they could change things this year, but this was last year. The reserved area this sign applied to is the "main" beach area between the boat dock and the first bungalow (which is the best viewing spot from Poly, generally speaking).

View attachment 365496

We had a great time at Poly for NYE last year, although we were guests.

i have to say...i’m really glad to see this sign. when i first saw this thread, i wrote a comment that i didn’t end up posting, suggesting the OP enjoy the resort they’re staying at. the one year we visited over new years was unlike anything i’ve ever seen. i would be so disappointed to pay for a monorail resort only to fight huge crowds of non-resort guests for amenities.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I scored a 12/31 res for Chef Mickey’s for dinner(7:30p). Everything else was VIP options which we are choosing not to go for in case our 4 year old has other plans besides being in a celebratory mood!
Was thinking to only come over around 5pm...perhaps avoiding some of the traffic (guessing it is mainly in early morning and later evening? Total guess though).
Staying at AKL.
Thoughts?
Woman on phone mentioned something about watching fireworks from 4th floor...but unfamiliar with that (only familiar with top floor deck at CG which is $675 VIP party)

Other idea would be avoid NYE completely and focus on Jan 1 fun?!

:)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I scored a 12/31 res for Chef Mickey’s for dinner(7:30p). Everything else was VIP options which we are choosing not to go for in case our 4 year old has other plans besides being in a celebratory mood!
Was thinking to only come over around 5pm...perhaps avoiding some of the traffic (guessing it is mainly in early morning and later evening? Total guess though).
Staying at AKL.
Thoughts?
Woman on phone mentioned something about watching fireworks from 4th floor...but unfamiliar with that (only familiar with top floor deck at CG which is $675 VIP party)

ps I should also mention we are theater folk and so our boy is shifted to a night sched with us! So later nights are ok for him, also sleeping in stroller will be part of the plan!

Staying at AKL.
Thoughts?

So are you trying to stay up until midnight for the MK fireworks?

MK does their fireworks show at 6:30pm and 11:50pm on 12/31 (and 12/30 by the way). It's the same show, the only difference is for the 11:50pm show they also shoot off fireworks from an island in the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon (the lake between CR, Poly, GF, and MK). What they shoot of there simulcasts what is shot off from the normal location behind the MK.

Viewing the 6:30pm show from spots around CR may be an option given your ADR time, if that's what you're going for. The 4th floor has an observation deck that faces the MK which has good viewing / they pipe in the music.

The midnight show is a long time from your ADR.

How are you planning on getting from AKL to CR? Bus to MK and walk over? Or drive? I would be really hesitant to drive on that day, both for traffic and parking reasons.

I have to admit, when reading your post part of me is wanting to recommend just sitting tight at AKL and enjoying the evening there. Although I get that's certainly not as exciting.

A few years ago we "upgraded" from moderate to Beach Club. We were a little sick of getting around on NYE day and wanted to be close to the parks. We went to Epcot for NYE, but it was way too crowded. More crowded than we remember, so we left. We watched from the YC dock. There were maybe a dozen people there.

The next year we had friends join us. Rather than battle the crowds at Epcot, we had a nice dinner at Yachtsman, grabbed some beers, and went back to the YC pier/boat launch.

You can hear the DJ at BW, you can see the fireworks from DHS and Epcot at midnight, then you can see the Star Wars fireworks shortly after.

I'd do MK on 12/30 to experience "NYE" in the parks, then relax at your resort or another resort.

On a side note... it really depends on where your'e staying. I'd avoid going to another resort, as getting around on NYE is gonna be ROUGH.

There is traffic almost all day, so 5:00 may get you there just in time for the ADR. Seriously, cray cray traffic. I mean I live in Houston and am used to sitting in traffic ... but NYE is the worse I have ever seen traffic at WDW. The rest of the Christmas season is fine, but you sit and don’t move on NYE.

A few years ago we "upgraded" from moderate to Beach Club. We were a little sick of getting around on NYE day and wanted to be close to the parks. We went to Epcot for NYE, but it was way too crowded. More crowded than we remember, so we left. We watched from the YC dock. There were maybe a dozen people there.

The next year we had friends join us. Rather than battle the crowds at Epcot, we had a nice dinner at Yachtsman, grabbed some beers, and went back to the YC pier/boat launch.

You can hear the DJ at BW, you can see the fireworks from DHS and Epcot at midnight, then you can see the Star Wars fireworks shortly after.

I'd do MK on 12/30 to experience "NYE" in the parks, then relax at your resort or another resort.

On a side note... it really depends on where your'e staying. I'd avoid going to another resort, as getting around on NYE is gonna be ROUGH.
Thank you!! :)

So are you trying to stay up until midnight for the MK fireworks?

MK does their fireworks show at 6:30pm and 11:50pm on 12/31 (and 12/30 by the way). It's the same show, the only difference is for the 11:50pm show they also shoot off fireworks from an island in the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon (the lake between CR, Poly, GF, and MK). What they shoot of there simulcasts what is shot off from the normal location behind the MK.

Viewing the 6:30pm show from spots around CR may be an option given your ADR time, if that's what you're going for. The 4th floor has an observation deck that faces the MK which has good viewing / they pipe in the music.

The midnight show is a long time from your ADR.

How are you planning on getting from AKL to CR? Bus to MK and walk over? Or drive? I would be really hesitant to drive on that day, both for traffic and parking reasons.

I have to admit, when reading your post part of me is wanting to recommend just sitting tight at AKL and enjoying the evening there. Although I get that's certainly not as exciting.
Great advice, thank you!

I love the idea of aiming for the 6:30 fireworks on NYE, before dinner...
Re: getting there. We won’t have a car, and wondering....could we somehow go to somewhere to catch the monorail
that might allow us to avoid traffic somewhat? Or are all the monorail
stations sort of within the crazy traffic zone.... so just thinking aloud, could I Uber to a monorail station and then monorail in....then reverse the trip around 10pm outbound?

Great advice, thank you!

I love the idea of aiming for the 6:30 fireworks on NYE, before dinner...
Re: getting there. We won’t have a car, and wondering....could we somehow go to somewhere to catch the monorail
that might allow us to avoid traffic somewhat? Or are all the monorail
stations sort of within the crazy traffic zone.... so just thinking aloud, could I Uber to a monorail station and then monorail in....then reverse the trip around 10pm outbound?
Not really. The monorail resorts are in an oval around the lagoon at the MK and another goes from there to Epcot. Neither one will be easy to catch on NYE. You may just want to stay at your resort. We were there for NYE twice and stayed at an Epcot area resort so we could walk to and from the theme park instead of taking any transportation. Traffic will be horrendous on NYE, especially right after the fireworks.

If you are staying onsite there will be plenty to do at your resort. We danced with Mickey himself ! I wouldn’t want to fight the crowds anywhere that night! I saw a hint that New Years Day is a good time to go to any of the parks early because all of the revelers are still in bed recovering from the night before. It worked for us! The only drawback was that there were races going on & the resort parking lots were full. And some roads were closed due to the races.

If you are staying onsite there will be plenty to do at your resort. We danced with Mickey himself ! I wouldn’t want to fight the crowds anywhere that night! I saw a hint that New Years Day is a good time to go to any of the parks early because all of the revelers are still in bed recovering from the night before. It worked for us! The only drawback was that there were races going on & the resort parking lots were full. And some roads were closed due to the races.
What races were those? The Disney Marathon isn't usually until either the following weekend or the one after that.

Also planning on avoiding the NYE crowds in the parks. Since we are staying at POFQ, our plan is to have dinner at Disney Springs and then enjoying the NYE party they will have at PO (I think last year it was at POR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter