NYE at MK and Epcot, yes we've lost our minds

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
This is half touring/half resort question

We've officially gone crazy and planning something I never thought I would plan.
NYE at Disney, along with millions of our closest friends ;)
We know what we are getting in to and trying to plan to make the evenings go as well as possible.
We are planning MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st.
Since we can't get any room at a discount on those nights and something we really want to avoid are transportation hassles following the fireworks each night, I'm looking to book a room in CR on the 30th and the Epcot area on the 31st. (both are available)

At Epcot on the 31st it's not a question really. We know for sure we want one of the Epcot resorts so we can walk out the back side and to our room.
But on the 30th we'll be paying more to stay at a room we can walk to. I can pay about $150 less for a room over at WL (CC technically) which is both a place we love and DH would love to see the new rooms.
So, what I'm asking is, is it worth paying more to avoid the transportation hassles following the fireworks and such on Saturday night at MK? Is it actually necessary? Having never been I'm not sure how many stay following the fireworks
Looks like the park is open till 2:00 AM, it's just DH and I so we'll plan to stay following fireworks and can wait the crowds out. I'm not sure what time we'll head TO the park though. We do land early that morning, currently. So we'll take a nap as soon as we get in our room, whenever that may be.

Other than watching fireworks, we'll be planning to grab 3 FP for each park and that's about it. The rest will be just to be there and soak up the atmosphere. We'll have no specific goals or plans in place. We won't even be after a good view, as I know folks will be camping out all day for those. Not sure I've got that in me. But, feel free to give me any and all survival advice you have. I'm all ears.

Other than watching fireworks, we'll be planning to grab 3 FP for each park and that's about it. The rest will be just to be there and soak up the atmosphere. We'll have no specific goals or plans in place. We won't even be after a good view, as I know folks will be camping out all day for those. Not sure I've got that in me. But, feel free to give me any and all survival advice you have. I'm all ears.

Have no advice to share other than saying :wave2: to one of my million neighbors around New Years. We'll be there also. We stay offsite, so our window is 30 days...and we haven't reached it yet. However, we did book one night at the Dolphin (or is it the Swan, I forget) the week between Xmas and NY because we can stay for free on credit card points. We haven't told the kids, we'll surprise them. Anyway, we may do MK on Dec 31st just to soak up the atmosphere like you mentioned. NO expectations except to just take it in and have fun. So I'm right there with you. However, not sure we'll make it to midnight...we're not night owls at all...

This is half touring/half resort question

We've officially gone crazy and planning something I never thought I would plan.
NYE at Disney, along with millions of our closest friends ;)
We know what we are getting in to and trying to plan to make the evenings go as well as possible.
We are planning MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st.
Since we can't get any room at a discount on those nights and something we really want to avoid are transportation hassles following the fireworks each night, I'm looking to book a room in CR on the 30th and the Epcot area on the 31st. (both are available)

At Epcot on the 31st it's not a question really. We know for sure we want one of the Epcot resorts so we can walk out the back side and to our room.
But on the 30th we'll be paying more to stay at a room we can walk to. I can pay about $150 less for a room over at WL (CC technically) which is both a place we love and DH would love to see the new rooms.
So, what I'm asking is, is it worth paying more to avoid the transportation hassles following the fireworks and such on Saturday night at MK? Is it actually necessary? Having never been I'm not sure how many stay following the fireworks
Looks like the park is open till 2:00 AM, it's just DH and I so we'll plan to stay following fireworks and can wait the crowds out. I'm not sure what time we'll head TO the park though. We do land early that morning, currently. So we'll take a nap as soon as we get in our room, whenever that may be.

I would stay at the contemporary just to avoid transportation lines just my 2cents

I thought we were all smarter than this! But I'll tag on to what @Klayfish said. We have a reservation then as well (Poly)... first time going over NYE. Frankly I booked it many months ago just to secure a TPV room but always had in the back of my mind I'd likely cancel as it's certainly not the cheapest trip in the world. But now I think we're likely to keep it, so I need to get my head around a plan as well!

I think we're just going to take advantage of the viewing from Poly and leave it at that. I'm not brave enough for Epcot, I don't think. :-)

Good luck OP.

Fun! Glad to know I'm not the only one here to have lost my mind.
We opted to do MK on the 30th so we can get in Epcot on the 31st, figured we'd try to get in both parks, since this is probably a one time NYE trip. We used to spend NYE on Bowl trips but this is a pitiful football season for us. We have hopes that eventually things will turn around. Not this season but maybe in a season or two.

Fun! Glad to know I'm not the only one here to have lost my mind.
We opted to do MK on the 30th so we can get in Epcot on the 31st, figured we'd try to get in both parks, since this is probably a one time NYE trip. We used to spend NYE on Bowl trips but this is a pitiful football season for us. We have hopes that eventually things will turn around. Not this season but maybe in a season or two.

Actually that's my biggest worry at the moment... UGA fan here. :-)

This past year we went to the MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. We stayed at the AKL. I don't think we waited more than 20 minutes before we were on a bus after leaving the MK, and traffic out was not as bad as some afternoons Xmas week. On the 31st, We drove to Epcot around 8pm after spending time in the AK. We watched Illuminations from Showcase Plaza (which is as close to Future World as you could be). It was packed, but due to a slight slope, the view was very good (we were directly behind the wheelchair area). The worst part of the night was the walk to the parking lot after Illuminations which took a very LONG time. Staying by the IG should make it easier - but that also depends on where you watch Illuminations from.

So to answer your question on paying more for transportation on the 30th - I don't think it's worth it. Especially if you spend some time in the MK after the fireworks.

Depending on how long you stay in MK after midnight transportation might not be too big of an issue. Obviously the first hour will be problematic but they should have 2 boats cycilng between the WL and MK at that point and those boats are never as bad as the monorail/ferry lines/bus lines.

Walking to the CR will be the fastest though - but if you're staying in the tower, elevator access might be a little clogged. :)

Cya there. :)

We have done MK on the 30th Epcot on the 31st for 5 maybe 6 years now and love it, yes its crowded but it seems like your prepared for this !

Honestly we haven't ever had transportation issues from the MK on the 30th, resorts included POFQ, AOA, BWI and the Dolphin to the best of my recollection. Epcot on the other hand was horrible waiting on the bus - the year before last we were staying at AOA and didn't get on a bus until 3am, so, like you we will now always stay at an Epcot resort for new years eve.

This year we are at BWV for the NYE portion of the stay so we will hope for the best leaving MK on the 30th. We are at POFQ with family for the Christmas portion and I don't want to move 3 times or spend the $ for a MK resort.

Fun decision to make though :)

I just wish they'd keep the resort bars open til 2am or something. It'd be nice to grab a drink at the Wave bar after celebrating NYE. :)

We love going to MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st.

Our exit on the 30th has always been surprisingly smooth for the crowd (although, we haven’t done this trip since 2012 so my latest 12/30, 12/31 account is 5 years old.) We waited for the MK to clear out a while and took the bus back to SSR. It wasn’t bad at all and I swear there is something in the air those two nights - it is just so festive and everyone seems to be in a great mood despite the crowds. I love it.

I agree that you should definitely do an Epcot area resort on 12/31. Leaving Epcot on 12/31 was definitely always a challenge, although doable, it’s not necessary for you to do so I wouldn’t do it!

I hate moving resorts so much that I would deal with the transportation crowd at MK on 12/30 and not bother moving hotels. If you wait out the transportation crowd a while you won’t get back until super late, but if you’re not planning to get up and at ‘em at the crack of dawn on NYE I wouldn’t worry about it.

But, again, this is coming from someone who really hates doing split stays!

One of my favorite times to go is 12/30 & 12/31. My kids are so little right now so it’s not the best time for us to go and enjoy the late night festivities but as they get older, we will definitely do it again every other trip or so.

Have the best time!

We love going to MK on the 30th and Epcot on the 31st.

Our exit on the 30th has always been surprisingly smooth for the crowd (although, we haven’t done this trip since 2012 so my latest 12/30, 12/31 account is 5 years old.) We waited for the MK to clear out a while and took the bus back to SSR. It wasn’t bad at all and I swear there is something in the air those two nights - it is just so festive and everyone seems to be in a great mood despite the crowds. I love it.

I agree that you should definitely do an Epcot area resort on 12/31. Leaving Epcot on 12/31 was definitely always a challenge, although doable, it’s not necessary for you to do so I wouldn’t do it!

I hate moving resorts so much that I would deal with the transportation crowd at MK on 12/30 and not bother moving hotels. If you wait out the transportation crowd a while you won’t get back until super late, but if you’re not planning to get up and at ‘em at the crack of dawn on NYE I wouldn’t worry about it.

But, again, this is coming from someone who really hates doing split stays!

One of my favorite times to go is 12/30 & 12/31. My kids are so little right now so it’s not the best time for us to go and enjoy the late night festivities but as they get older, we will definitely do it again every other trip or so.

Have the best time!
Really, moving resorts is a must. We've waited so late to plan there's not much of anything we can get that's there for both nights. And Disney makes moving so easy we don't mind it at all. We call for bell services, they take everything away, we head to the parks, by the time we are ready to return to our room, the bags have been moved. There's just nothing to it. Just returned from a 6 day, 3 resort split stay last week.
But I am tempted to get a room over at CC for DH. DD, DGD and I stayed there for a night last week and it was so cute. I'd love DH to get a chance to see it.

As I was reading your post I was thinking how wise you are to consider the "exit strategy." We love staying at CR (BLT technically) on any MK day regardless of crowd size. Is it "necessary?" Probably not. Worth $150 more? Probably not. Would I do it? Absolutely!:earboy2: It's cool that you're giving NYE a shot at WDW, you may enjoy it more than you expect to.:)

We're also going to MK on the 30th and EPCOT on the 31st.

We're going to the special dining and NYE party event at La Hacienda de San Angel at the Mexican pavilion which starts at 9:30pm so I'm wondering what time we ought to arrive at the park.

We're staying at The Yacht Club so transport won't be an issue I was just hoping that we wouldn't have to get into EPCOT too early as we have an age range from 2 years old to 82 years old

Really, moving resorts is a must. We've waited so late to plan there's not much of anything we can get that's there for both nights. And Disney makes moving so easy we don't mind it at all. We call for bell services, they take everything away, we head to the parks, by the time we are ready to return to our room, the bags have been moved. There's just nothing to it. Just returned from a 6 day, 3 resort split stay last week.
But I am tempted to get a room over at CC for DH. DD, DGD and I stayed there for a night last week and it was so cute. I'd love DH to get a chance to see it.

Some people love split stays! I used to work in bell services at one of the deluxes and it is super seamless! I always volunteered to be the bag runner for transfers .

I think it is intimidating to me now because we are usually 8-10 people in a grand villa. We are usually are “moved in” with everyone’s groceries, all the kid stuff for the week and it is hard for us to wrangle everyone to move after getting settled. I like to get in the groove where we are staying. And packing up that grand villa is hard after we unpack. I like to just unpack and go and not worry about it again.

In thinking about it, for a 2 night stay we wouldn’t do all the unpacking and moving in that we would do for a longer stay so I probably wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it! Especially if it was just us 4 and not the whole gang.

ETA: I totally misread your original post - I didn’t realize you were splitting no matter what. Totally missed the CC part and thought it was CR/Epcot area vs both nights Epcot area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter