NYC Marathon?

RunningGirl

DIS Veteran
We had five people in our family apply for the 2016 NYC marathon, and only one got in. Neither my DH nor I got in. Anybody out there have any luck?

I got in! I almost feel guilty about it - this was my first year throwing my name in the lottery, and I only did it because one of my running buddies talked me into it so we could run together (he didn't get in :sad2:). Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who gets in - it really must be just a random drawing.

I guess this is kind of apropos of nothing, but reflects why I hope rD never has to resort to lotteries for any of their races.

One of my sister's friends was running the NYC Marathon a few years ago and my sister signed up for the lottery. I was thinking about it, but if my sister didn't get in and I did I would have basically been out a race fee for a race I no longer wanted to run. I know the lottery system is basically required at this point for many of the most popular races and that most provide what should be ample time to make plans, but it makes it difficult if your interest in running a race is in any way contingent on someone else running it as well.

Why not the best option I think a lot of charities have spots if you want to run and raise money..... Not always ideal but it's how a lot of people I know get in.

I guess this is kind of apropos of nothing, but reflects why I hope rD never has to resort to lotteries for any of their races.

One of my sister's friends was running the NYC Marathon a few years ago and my sister signed up for the lottery. I was thinking about it, but if my sister didn't get in and I did I would have basically been out a race fee for a race I no longer wanted to run. I know the lottery system is basically required at this point for many of the most popular races and that most provide what should be ample time to make plans, but it makes it difficult if your interest in running a race is in any way contingent on someone else running it as well.
I agree - I'm glad both DH and I got shut out. I wish you could link registrations, instead of them being treated individually.

My local running group had about 36 of us apply. Not a single one of us made it in via the lottery.

Odds are not really favorable at all to get picked. In the statement released yesterday, I they said they has about 19,000 registrations that would be selected via the lottery. That's out of the 82,000 applications that were available. It then went on to state that the 19K would be equally divided between three groups of New York area people, national and international. So the more people who had registered in your group, the less chance you had of getting selected. The numbers person in my wishes they would have given those numbers out.

I also wish they would somehow let people link registrations. My wife and I applied for the first time and wanted to run together. If one of us had gotten in, the other would have just found a charity.

The other common complaint I saw on various Facebook boards is from people who had been denied year after year while seeing first time people get in. They understood why New York had to get rid of the three times denied policy. One of the best ideas I saw was to give an extra entry for each year you were denied, never accepted. So if you were denied five years in a row, you would have five entries in the lottery next go around. While it might not make much of a difference, it might increase the odds for those people slightly. I would even go so far as putting anyone, regardless of location, who was denied X or more times into a fourth group and draw entries from there. I think those people deserve a chance at running the race, and if they are still at it 3 or 5 years from now, then they probably can run it.

Odds are not really favorable at all to get picked. In the statement released yesterday, I they said they has about 19,000 registrations that would be selected via the lottery. That's out of the 82,000 applications that were available. It then went on to state that the 19K would be equally divided between three groups of New York area people, national and international. So the more people who had registered in your group, the less chance you had of getting selected. The numbers person in my wishes they would have given those numbers out.

I actually read this differently in the press release. It said that 23% of applicants got selected and that an equal percentage got taken from each applicant pool or 23% of each applicant pool got selected is how I interpreted it. Not 33% of the total number selected from each of the applicant pools. So the larger the pool, the more people selected from that pool. I definitely could be wrong but I agree, it would be interesting to see the numbers.

I didn't get in my first year trying, but got in the 2nd year, so try again in 2017! I considered joining a charity that first year, but after asking around, I realized I could never raise the minimum (nobody was interested in donating much and I can't blame them). I think the lowest I saw was $2700, but many charities were $3000+.

If you are local enough, I would definitely consider the 9 + 1 option for guaranteed entry. Even though I live in NJ, that would still be time consuming and expensive so I didn't go that route either.

I didn't get in my first year trying, but got in the 2nd year, so try again in 2017! I considered joining a charity that first year, but after asking around, I realized I could never raise the minimum (nobody was interested in donating much and I can't blame them). I think the lowest I saw was $2700, but many charities were $3000+.

If you are local enough, I would definitely consider the 9 + 1 option for guaranteed entry. Even though I live in NJ, that would still be time consuming and expensive so I didn't go that route either.
Yeah, I don't do the charity thing because I don't want to ask my friends and family to fund my running dreams. I lived on Long Island for years and should have done the 9+1 thing then.

I agree with those that won't do the charity run - I am NOT a fundraiser. It would be nice if people had applied over and over again had better odds of getting selected. Not sure I'll apply again next year; I think I'd rather just choose a race I can count on an plan for that.

Of course, still doing rD marathon weekend!

I fundraised for the NYC Half this year and had to defer (actually, cancel with a "guarantee") until next year because of injury. Unfortunately, it will still involve another fundraising commitment for that guarantee. So, nope. I'm out on fundraising into a race again.

Anyone who has done the race have any advice on best place to stay. I am thinking somewhere in the Central Park south area where you can walk back from the finish line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!