NWA from Detroit

J

jldriscoll

Ok, I posed the Spirit out of Detroit question awhile back and from the response I got I am reluctant to try them until I'm NOT flying with a 4 year old.

We have had good luck with NWA in the past. (I worry about all the waiting on the tarmak trouble they had a few years ago....) We haven't flown with them in a couple of years and I am wondering how their service is now that the new terminal is open?

How's the service? How about flight delays? Any info to encourage or discourage would be greatly appreciated!

We have flown NW three times in the last 10 months--each time
we had a connection in Detroit. Compared to the Buffalo,
Orlando, Charlotte and LasVegas airports, Detroit seems to be
lacking in leaving on time. Our flight out of Las Vegas actually
left 15 min early! I don't know if its because its their hub and
its so busy everyday that they just don't care in Detroit, but if
for any reason your flight is delayed they are quick to hand out
a $5 phone card, $5 meal voucher and a discount of $25-$100 on
a future flight for everyone in your party. If you have time to
spare their, eat at the Meditaranian Grill--its a sit down with
quick service and great food! Good Luck!

I flew out of Metro on NWA last month with no problems. There is a new exit ramp before you get to the old one (if you are traveling east on 94) that is quick and convienent. We checked in at curbside in about 3 minutes and were through security quickly. There was a line at both e ticket check in and the paper ticket check in. We left a few minutes late d/t waiting for a push back but were kept aprised of the situation and we made up the time in the air. It was a bit of a hike from our gate to baggage pick up on our way back but we used the people movers and I didn't have a four year old so it wasn't too bad. It was a bit chaotic outside of baggage claim where we were picked up.

I also found a great direct flight from NWA for our trip that leaves one week from today!!!! it was cheaper than Spirit with great times. I'm looking for a rate for our Dec trip and hope it is NWA.

The new terminal is nice with a beautiful fountain that I think a 4 year old would enjoy.

FOUNTAIN!!!! SOLD!!!!!:p :p :p

The girl begs to go to the mall to see the fountains here. Sounds like there is enough to occupy a little person there now.

How about the air staff? Friendly?

Still would like to hear others opinions too.... I was just joking about the SOLD thing;)

I always fly NW out of metro. I have flown 3 times so far this year and will be going again in a week (to WDW:bounce: :bounce: ) I have never had a major problem, a few delays but no more than maybe a half hour. If you have time when you are there other than the fountain take the esclator(sp) down to concourse band c there is a "tunnel" that changes colors to the music it is hard to explain but really neat to see

I've only flown NWA once since the new terminal opened, and that was at the end of March. Everything went smoothly. Our flight left on time, and all NWA personnel we encountered were friendly. The only minor inconvenience was a longer than usual wait at baggage claim when we returned. But it was Easter time at a new terminal, so we were understanding of the delay.

The new terminal is really nice! It does seem pretty far from the runways though. We taxied all over the place before finally pulling into the gate. We kept expecting to see our plane merging onto the interstate. :p

Originally posted by travelbug
We kept expecting to see our plane merging onto the interstate. :p
LOL!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm sold. I'll stick with NWA until we have a bad experience. I have a far better feeling now about NWA than I did when I asked about Spirit.

Thanks everyone!

These boards really are helpful.....even if my husband thinks I'm nuts for having this site bookmarked on my home page:rolleyes:

We just got back from our trip yesterday and flew NWA. The terminal at Detroit is SO much better now! We loved the express train to get to our connecting flight. Really saved on walking and believe me, after walking for 10 days at WDW, that was great!

The staff was very friendly!!!

We did the E-ticket check-in which was incredibly fast and easy! No waiting in line!!!

Staff from curbside check in to the one by the gate that changed our seats for us were very friendly.

When checing prices on NWA it was much cheaper to fly from Flint than metro. you do have to make a connection at metro though and end up on the same direct flight that you have to pay more for when booking from detroit. What a hoot.

Jamounger, you're right about Flint. It is SO much easier to fly in and out of Flint than Metro. Much more laid-back airport, easy parking, not as much time needed for check-in, etc. It's especially sweet when prices are better leaving from Flint. I don't mind the extra plane change if it saves me some decent money.

For me, it's about the same drive time to get to either Detroit Metro or Flint. So I just book whichever flight is cheaper as long as the times are favorable. :D

How MUCH cheaper are we talking about? My in-laws are in the Flint area. We could probably leave from their place......

Hi, jldriscoll!

Prices can really vary when comparing departure from DTW versus FNT. Sometimes it is definitely cheaper to fly out of DTW. Other times it is cheaper to fly out of FNT. You just have to check.

For example, I stumbled onto a GREAT deal for next Easter. $177 from DTW to Ft. Myers. Departing out of Flint would have cost me more than twice as much.

On the other hand, I got tickets from FNT to MCO for end of Feb. for $202. Departing out of DTW would have cost me another $100-200. Can't remember the exact difference, but it was considerable.

So whenever I'm checking flight connections, I check both DTW and FNT. I depart from wherever it's cheaper. If prices are about the same, I would always choose FNT because it is so laidback and easy to manage.

By the way, NWA has had flights out of Flint for a long time. Delta has JUST started offering flights out of Flint, and that's where I'm finding all the great deals right now -- through Delta. I'm guessing that they are trying to compete with NWA's huge market at Metro, and also trying to break into NWA's market at Flint. So they need to attract customers with great rates. But what do I really know? I'm only guessing!

;)

Good luck as you watch for rates. Give a shout if you need more info!

THANKS!!

Now the only help I need is getting DH to COMMIT to this trip so I can start booking it!!!:rolleyes:

Not to throw another wrench into the mix, but if you are checking prices out of Metro you may as well check prices out of Toledo, esp. if you are in Ann Arbor. Toledo is a little airport but easy to get around in and quick security checks, close parking, etc.
Robin M.

I'll have to check Toledo too. I think we're about half way between Flint and Toledo. WOW.... never realized I had this many options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter