novice training for half-marathon

ADisneyMom

<font color=9966CC>We judge ourselves by what we f
Hi,

I found this site and the novice training program looks pretty good. At least this gives us another choice as far as trying to determine how we will get ready for our half-marathon in 2005
http://runatl.com/

I also, copied the program and put it here in case it doesn't work with this link.

ADisneyMom
Official US Half Marathon Novice Training Program

"Halfway between the 10-K and the marathon is the friendlier and more accessible distance, the half-marathon"
Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training Guide: Novice
by Hal Higdon

Once runners have finished their first 5-K and 10-K races, they often ask themselves, what's the next challenge? The same for experienced runners, looking to some variation in their training and racing.

For many, that next challenge is often the marathon, the lure of being able to finish 26 miles 385 yards. But that can be a big (and intimidating) jump and pose a commitment that not everybody wants to make.

Halfway between the 10-K and the marathon is the (friendlier and more accessible) half-marathon: 13.1 miles. The "half" offers a good staging area for novice runners--and advanced runners like the distance too, because they can race the half more often with less stress during the race and less time recovering after the race.

After completing your first 5-K, or your first 10-K, and after becoming comfortable racing those distances, simply step up your mileage to run the half-marathon. If you're approaching the half-marathon without a training base, you might want to begin at one of those levels and move into the below program after you're used to the mileage.

Don't push too fast too soon. The below schedule suggests a six-week build-up to the half-marathon. If you have more time to prepare, you can repeat any of the weeks along the way. If the schedule seems too strenuous, back up and repeat the week before the one you just completed. A gentler training build-up, covering a period of 13 weeks, would follow the following pattern. (Each number represents the week being run or repeated.) 1-2-1-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-5-4-6
Week MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
1 rest 4 rest or easy run 4 rest cross train 70 min
2 rest 4.5 rest or easy run 4.5 rest cross train 75 min
3 rest 5 rest or easy run 5 rest cross train 80 min
4 rest 5.5 rest or easy run 5.5 rest cross train 85 min
5 rest 6 rest or easy run 6 rest cross train 90 min
6 rest 4.5 rest or easy run 3 rest or easy run rest 13.1m Race

I could not get the list centered right. I hope you can tell that Monday is a rest day and follow from there.

Good Luck!::yes:: :Pinkbounc :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter