Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

Kennywood

Kennywood
By James McAuley
April 15 at 2:16 PM

PARIS — The spire of Notre Dame Cathedral collapsed on Monday as a massive fire spread through the iconic building.

Yellow clouds of smoke could be seen billowing into an otherwise perfect blue sky. The entire back roof burned through.

The heat of the fire could be felt from across the River Seine.

Firefighters at the scene were pumping water from cranes.

The iconic building in the center of the city is the most visited monument in Paris, with more than 12 million visitors a year — nearly double the people who visit Eiffel Tower.

French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted: “Notre-Dame of Paris preyed by the flames. The sorrow of an entire nation. Out thoughts with all Catholics and French people. Like all our compatriots, I’m sad tonight to see this part of ourselves burn.”

“This is a historic moment for all of us, in the worst possible sense of the term,” she added.

President Trump tweeted his advice to Paris: “So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!”

The cathedral has been under renovation, and officials were considering the blaze an accident relating to construction.

Although there was no evidence of a connection, France has seen a number of attacks on Catholic churches in the past year, including arson and vandalism.

Paris’s Church of St. Suplice was set on fire after midday mass last month. No one was injured Police are investigating, but firefighters attributed the blaze to arson.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6af7bf8c2885

So sad to see such a beautiful building destroyed. hopefully they can restore it somehow in the future but it doesn't look likely :sad1:

I've been reading the news updates. They're not sure they can save any of the Cathedral. :guilty:

I've been reading the news updates. They're not sure they can save any of the Cathedral. :guilty:
I dunno. I saw reports where the inside was relatively untouched, with only a small section of the vault damaged and I've seen where French rich men have pledged millions to have it repaired.

This makes me SO very sad. I have been to Europe one time 40 years ago but never to Paris. We literally are leaving 2 months from yesterday and this happened. I am so very sad that I will never get to see it and it will be devestating to see it burned up. I am so sad for France and the world to lose such a treasure and I truly hope they can restore it to what it was. I know it will not be the same because that was priceless architecture from long ago. I just hope they can do it justice and I hope that the world can once again enjoy this treasure someday and I am sad that I will never see it. This will probably be my only trip to Paris :(

This is truly heartbreaking! I watched it in shock yesterday. I was lucky enough to see it 34 years ago, but I was so looking forward to see it again next month. I'm so sad for Paris and the whole world to lose such an icon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter