• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not necessarily a "trip report"

skyyhiflygirl

Earning My Ears
So I got back from Disney World on the 9th of August. Had a fabulous time with my son, his fiancee and her mom and family. Great way to meet. Rides were great. Had fun hanging out. Disney photographers were plenty. However, I do have some negatives to add. Not horrid negatives, just things I have noticed over the years of traveling and living near Disney. I will not only add negatives but also include positives. It was a fun trip.

1. Tokyo Dining - We used to talk up this restaurant all the time. You could order any type of sushi you wanted. Not so anymore. The menu is so small now that I will probably not come back unless they fix it. Also, our server was not so well trained and she had to bring the manager out (who spoke better English) to clarify things. We also booked a late table to take advantage of the viewing of Illuminations. Got to listen in to the piped in music and sounds but couldn't see as we were seated near the sushi kitchen.

2. California Grill - There were 8 of us eating there and the food was AWESOME. Absolutely no complaint. I have had complaints of this restaurant in the past so this is an upward swing. Service was excellent and our food was fabulous.

3. Bongos - They accommodated us without a reservation very nicely. However, the restaurant is so LOUD that you cannot have a decent conversation there. Food was good.

4. House of Blues - Always consistent and great food. Hearty fare with a down home touch. Love this place.

5. Port Orleans French Quarter - I still love this resort. It's small size and fabulous people just make it fun. My only complaint here is that the Sassagoula Float Works quick service was under construction (this stuff happens) so my selections from the menu were limited.

6. Boatwrights Restaurant at PO Riverside - A fabulous meal with my son and daughter-in-love. Impromptu and totally accommodating us was a fabulous staff and wonderful service. Food was still EXCELLENT quality.

7. First Aid - yeah, no one wants to know about first aid on vacation but on our day at Hollywood Studios I had an issue with sinuses which eventually turned into a full blown asthma attack. Haven't had one of those in years. The First Aid center provided me with sinus medicine, but the real savior was the bus driver back to PO French Quarter who recognized that I was in full blown asthma attack mode. He walked me off the bus and took me to the hotel's first aid center where I received a couple of breathing treatments and a shot of solumedrol. For those of you that care. . .first aid at Disney World is handled by Florida Hospital Group. They were awesome. To the bus driver that took care of me. Thank you.

8. Animal Kingdom - I think this is still my favorite park. Can't put a finger on why but it is. Watched the Lion King show. A couple different performers. Not bad, just different. The woman singing Circle of Life was phenomenal. What a fabulous show still today. Still love the tumble monkeys.

9. Expedition Everest - my favorite ride at the park (though Mine Train was starting to pull rank). We were waiting for some other family and a few of us decided to hit the single rider line. It was quick. I was seated next to a teen Aussie or New Zealander who waited 45 minutes in line because no one told him about single rider. I told him which rides he could find it on and how to utilize it. When we got off the ride he thanked me and promptly headed to the EE single rider line for another go. Mind blown. . .lol.

10. Kilimanjaro Safari - The giraffe's were quite playful first thing in the morning. They kinda stopped us to inquire as to our position in the safari. I got some great up close and personal pics. This is the first time on the safari that I saw the Lion King. That was awesome. If you love this ride, go early as the animals are playful at that time. We saw the zebra herding along the savannah and the elephants were plenty.

So finally,

11. Magic Kingdom - This is normally my least favorite park, however, this time I learned to appreciate it a bit more. We went on Friday (Aug. 5). It was our first full day in the parks. Extra magic hours start at 8. We got there around 0730 and were in the park before 0745. So in reality they opened the park at 0745 because we were on our first ride before 8. We decided to head to Peter Pan and walked on pretty much, then did the stuff we planned to do in fantasy land. We descended on Mine Train just before 9 a.m. and got in quickly. Then headed to other lands because we had other rides to do. Jungle cruise was just around the corner so we did that. Then Thunder Mountain railroad, then Haunted Mansion. A quick break then meet up with family. During the break we stood in line for Space Mountain. Again, the wait was not horrid. After 11 the parks get really busy. We went to BOG for lunch and had a good meal. Not fabulous but good. Service was "odd". Probably something I might need to get used to.

One other thing I would like to say. The dumbing down of Disney restaurants has me concerned. Food quality should be of utmost importance followed closely by customer desire. Like I said, I probably will not visit Tokyo Dining again even though I usually go there every visit. . .which in the past has been 3 to 6 times a year. This year the meal was meh. . .not so good.

Overall had an excellent Disney vacation with my son and his Fiancee. I will also go back. My desires will change though. . .

I know I mostly talked about restaurants here. This is the first time I have EVER used the dining plan. I probably won't use it again as it's tooooo much food for me. However, it was nice to have food totally paid for during the trip and not have to worry about that cost. Port Orleans French Quarter needs a HUGE shout out. If you have never stayed at this resort, do not think twice about it. The service is exceptional, the staff was awesome and the small size of the resort makes it fun and cozy. I have been to WDW many many times. If I stay Deluxe, I want the Boardwalk villas. If I am going to stay moderate, I want POFQ. I haven't done a value in years so cannot really speak to that. I always liked them but they are huge and lots of walking ensued.

Now for some nitty gritty. . .lol, not really but it sounded fun to say. . .lol.

We spent our last day headed to Earl of Sandwich for lunch. It was delicious as usual but I have one of these places here in Vegas. . .for some reason, the one at Disney tastes better. . .maybe because I am on vacation. My daughter-in-love was suffering from chest pain. As a cardiac nurse I want to "diagnose" her and ya know, do other cardiac stuff. I didn't because I knew that this is not what we were suffering from and my son gave me the "look". I know the "look" because I have given it to him many times. To be sure, she had an issue that required intervention, but it was not heart related. Glad my son and I know each other.

It was a great Disney trip. The best part was seeing my son after 2 years apart. Oh, and I turned two TS credits, one QS credit and another snack credit into multiple snacks before I left. My husband was very happy to eat the snacks.

Great restaurant reviews! :flower1: I had no idea about the first aid services available on site. Definitely good to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter