Not Disneyland related but hoping someone can help with transport to Vegas ideas.

georgiesmum

Mouseketeer
We're coming to Anaheim for 10 days in May. My DD8 is obsessed with the Titanic (weird kid) and there's an exhibition at the Luxor in Vegas which we're considering surprising her with. I'm trying to work out if/how to get there quickly and cheaply. The best I can find so far is Lux Bus but that's going to mean an overnight stay in Vegas so pretty much 2 Disney days wasted! :eek: I was thinking that perhaps we could take an early morning flight to Vegas and then come back that night. I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time in Vegas. We're from Australia so don't know where to look for cheap flights. I have no idea how much flights cost, but I don't want to spend a fortune! Can anyone suggest any good websites for discounted flights, any airlines NOT to fly with - or even another option (driving ourselves isn't an option!)
Thanks so much!

You can fly out of SNA, LGB or LAX. Southwest is the low cost carrier with the most flights per day. They're not listed on flight comparison sites, but other airlines will be. You might find something on JetBlue or Virgin America. Normally I'd say avoid Spirit, but if you're flying in and out on the same day, without luggage or carry ons beyond a small purse, I think you'd be ok. Also, you may have to use different carriers going there and back for the best price and schedule. And, if you don't have a car parked at an airport, you might also have better options by flying out of 1 airport and back to another.

Good advice from SMD. My only two cents to add is that if you are really trying to do this in one day then you will need to save time every way you can and thus flying in and out of SNA (Orange County John Wayne airport) is the best as it is bar far the closest to Dland (you can get there from Dland in under one hour). And that airport should have plenty of Southwest airlines flights to LV.

First thing - don't worry if it's not Disneyland related. People ask all sorts of transportation questions here.

It's typically 4 hours each way by private vehicle from Anaheim to Las Vegas, and that's assuming that traffic is smooth.

If you're really desperate, you could hire a car service all day. That's going to be expensive though. The proposed XpressWest train might be ideal for you, but that's only in the proposal stage right now.

You mentioned Lux Bus. The best known bus company in the US is Greyhound.

However - there is Megabus. You could use it alone or combine that with Greyhound or even a flight. The advantage they have is that they have an early departure to Las Vegas and evening or early morning departures to Anaheim if you're willing to sleep on the bus. I've ridden Megabus once, and it wasn't a bad experience. The only thing is that they aren't forgiving of being late, and you absolutely have to show them a copy of your ticket because they won't look it up for you. They use the Anaheim train station and the Las Vegas South Strip Transfer Terminal, which is closer to the Luxor. From there they have public transit buses or taxis.

http://us.megabus.com

I'm assuming you're staying in Anaheim. If you're not then Megabus also services Los Angeles Union Station.

The big problem with the bus is that it's at least 6 hours each way. But if you take the bus one way and a plane the other way, you might be able to fit it in one day.

We're coming to Anaheim for 10 days in May. My DD8 is obsessed with the Titanic (weird kid) and there's an exhibition at the Luxor in Vegas which we're considering surprising her with. I'm trying to work out if/how to get there quickly and cheaply. The best I can find so far is Lux Bus but that's going to mean an overnight stay in Vegas so pretty much 2 Disney days wasted! :eek: I was thinking that perhaps we could take an early morning flight to Vegas and then come back that night. I'm not really interested in spending a lot of time in Vegas. We're from Australia so don't know where to look for cheap flights. I have no idea how much flights cost, but I don't want to spend a fortune! Can anyone suggest any good websites for discounted flights, any airlines NOT to fly with - or even another option (driving ourselves isn't an option!)
Thanks so much!
Not sure what your dates in May are but here is a snip of what the rates are with JetBlue from Long Beach to Las Vegas as of right now.
https://www.jetblue.com/bestfarefinder/?origin=LGB&destination=LAS&departure=null&adult=1#/

fares.JPG

If you want to save money, I think Megabus is pretty cheap. I noted their $1 fare, but that's typically only the first one or two seats for a particular bus. I'm seeing $5 or $10 one-way fares between Anaheim and Las Vegas for this May, and possibly cheaper further out. I don't know what you might want to do with luggage though. I was thinking perhaps sleeping overnight on a bus, which would save a hotel night somewhere. If you would be returning to the same hotel, they might be able to hold your luggage between hotel nights. Amtrak (our national train system) used to run the Desert Wind between from Los Angeles to Chicago through Las Vegas, but that's been gone about 20 years.

If you need to get to any of the airports, that's going to cost you a bit more in a taxi or bus fare.

Any reason why you can't drive? A rental car is clearly the most convenient and cost effective way to get to Las Vegas and back on the same day. You wouldn't need to be on a tight schedule and you could store luggage in your vehicle. California recognizes licenses issued by foreign jurisdictions.

Thank you so much! Looks like it's definitely doable. :) I think we'll have to fly - the bus will take too long. We don't want to drive because US roads are a bit daunting for me - even as a passenger - so I don't want to spend the whole trip worrying about the drive.

Thank you so much! Looks like it's definitely doable. :) I think we'll have to fly - the bus will take too long. We don't want to drive because US roads are a bit daunting for me - even as a passenger - so I don't want to spend the whole trip worrying about the drive.

Really? US roads and drivers are in general among the calmest I've seen. There are exceptions, but I've been to other parts of the world where drivers are basically reckless. Now I could understand driving on the opposite side of the road, but it would be mostly freeway driving. I checked a random date (May 9) and found a rental car for less than US $30 (including all taxes) for one day at several locations near Disneyland. That doesn't include fuel (I would estimate another $30) but that would take care of all your transportation needs from point to point.

If you're flying, you should arrive early and will spend time getting to the airport.

oh it's not the drivers. It's sitting in the opposite side of the car, driving on the opposite side of the road, 8 lanes of traffic, and not being sure where we're going! I live in a town where there is only 1 street with 2 lanes of traffic, everything else is single lane each way. The traffic on Harbour is more than I've ever driven on and the Vegas Strip ... not a chance not to mention the Freeway! :eek:

I would fly Southwest and go back and forth in one day if that is the only thing you want to do in Vegas. I have seen the exhibit and it was great. It actually doesn't take much time to go through the exhibit, so you may want to schedule something else to do while you are there. Most of the Las Vegas strip is very child unfriendly. I wouldn't recommend doing any free walking around on the street.

I would fly Southwest and go back and forth in one day if that is the only thing you want to do in Vegas. I have seen the exhibit and it was great. It actually doesn't take much time to go through the exhibit, so you may want to schedule something else to do while you are there. Most of the Las Vegas strip is very child unfriendly. I wouldn't recommend doing any free walking around on the street.

You don't find the open containers and the flyers for strip clubs family friendly?

There's a children's museum there, but it's kind of in a tough location if you don't have a car since it's in downtown Las Vegas. It's rather far away from the Luxor or the airport. I would definitely recommend at least taking in a buffet meal, although they are of varying cost and quality.

oh it's not the drivers. It's sitting in the opposite side of the car, driving on the opposite side of the road, 8 lanes of traffic, and not being sure where we're going! I live in a town where there is only 1 street with 2 lanes of traffic, everything else is single lane each way. The traffic on Harbour is more than I've ever driven on and the Vegas Strip ... not a chance not to mention the Freeway! :eek:

I suppose everyone has a different comfort level. I was just thinking that just the amount of money that you're likely to spend on taxis and/or airport transfers is going to exceed the cost of a vehicle rental and fuel. The amount of time would be similar. Then there's the air fare and time spent at the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter