not Disney related, but need RV info (NY to FL)

We're moving to Florida from NY in January :)

We're renting an RV 1 way for the move.

Renting from CruiseAmerica (well, it's not confirmed from them that they'll have the inventory to do the 1 way rental. Hopefully will hear tomorrow).

Wondering about stopping along the way. The RV will be a smallish one (sleeps 5).

We figure we'll have to stop 1 night to sleep (hoping only 1). DH is talking about a Walmart parking lot. I'm kind of afraid of that. Maybe a campground??

Also, the RV will be winterized, and we're told once we're south of the Mason-Dixon line, we can go to a Cruise America and get water in the RV so we can use the toilet. Is that a big deal? Should we even bother? I might bring our little kid-potty we have for when we've rented boats.

Are there any sites you'd recommend for finding campground info along the east coast?

I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of too... I'll ask again if anything pops in my head.

tia for any info/advice :)

You may get various advice about a campground vs. Walmart parking lots. Most will let you stay there if you ask. We had a very bad experience the second time we stayed at one, was harassed by a local 'pack' of motorcyclists until a storm scared them off. Was very off putting for us, to say the least - was not a 'bad' area either. You just never know - we will not stay at one again - would rather pay the little extra for a campground, have hook ups and be able to totally relax.

OP here - you guys are all great!!! I knew I'd get good answers here :)

The 1-way RV rental is iffy now. The guy is resubmitting for us to drop it in Orlando (Tampa was rejected). They don't do 1-way rentals too often. Now we're trying to think of another way to go if we have to. A Suburban might be better than a 'transit van' (like a 12 person). We can fold the back seats away (I think) in a suburban and put the cats and dogs there. I think... ugh! getting anxiety!! Then I guess staying in pet friendly hotels on the way down. Any other suggestions?

No, don't even consider putting any of your precious little furbabies in the cargo hold of an airplane.

Have you looked into the cabins at a KOA for overnight? They may have a liberal pet policy.

I'm looking into car transport services. I have an Outback.

So you only have one car that can't hold all of your family. Have you thought of just renting a car and taking 2. Two People and animals in Outback, rest in the other. Also since you are not trying to get to a Garden Grill ADR at a specific time, take 3 days.

So you only have one car that can't hold all of your family. Have you thought of just renting a car and taking 2. Two People and animals in Outback, rest in the other. Also since you are not trying to get to a Garden Grill ADR at a specific time, take 3 days.

My hubby is staying behind in NY to run our business for a while. So he was going to drive us all down in the RV and fly back to NY. Didn't want him to have to drive back home. I can't drive more than 5 hours or so without my hips being in real pain. So me driving isn't a great option. It's doable if nothing else will work, but was trying to avoid it and all drive together. Glad you just said that though, I really wasn't thinking of driving my car down, but we'll do what we have to.

I think at this point good luck with your trip but I just don't think the RV is going to be as helpful as you think.

A one way Suburban rental, pet friendly hotels and car transport maybe your best choice.

Thank you for suggesting this. We're now thinking of dh and ds16 taking the cats in a rented minivan and going as straight through as they can. DD18 and I taking the 2 dogs in my outback and taking a few days to get there.

Hey know your area well not far from you. We travel every year down to FL and always hit up the Walmart's or the Welcome Centers to stay overnight. There are always many other RVs there, even the Walmart's and honestly once you do it and see all the other RVs there, it's nothing to feel strange about, felt safe and comfortable. We stay at different ones depending when we leave, traffic etc. but stay in the Walmarts that are on I95, that's where you'll see all the other RVers staying also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts