Not Disney related but need help choosing medical equipment for toilet

willowsnn3

DIS Veteran
Like I said, not Disney related, but hoping someone on the disabilities board can help me.
I am having hip surgery in 3 weeks and while I am still pretty mobile, my difficulties right now (and after surgery, I'm sure) is in getting up from a sitting position.

Wouldn't be as big a problem if my commode was close to a wall or something sturdy to put in a handicap bar thingy like in handicap restrooms but it is not. I have been looking online at different items (and there are alot of them) and it is hard to know what will work best. There are frames that fit around the toilet kinda like a walker that you can use to grip to assist in standing and others that have seat risers and arms that are hooked onto them.

If anyone has a particular product or brand I would appreciate the info. And any other tips for hip replacement recovery.

Thanks

For your use, a bedside commode that can be placed over the toilet as a chute might be plenty. That gives you the raised seat and sturdiness, but you can also put it next to the bed, if needed.

Thanks, Pridemom. I had thought about getting one of the bedside ones in case of a future need as I have plenty of room in my bedroom and also a sink/vanity area, but didn't realize they would fit over the toilet also. Something to think about.....

Hopefully by now you are well on your way to recovery and no longer in need of anything like this. But I'm adding a response as somebody else may need the information. A friend of mine's husband is 20 years older than she is and now needs this assistance. He has the one that looks sort of like a walker that fits over the toilet. It does not attach to anything, but is quite sturdy. Her DH is 85 and is a fairly large man but it is stable. She got it at Amazon. The fact that it is not attached makes it easy to move to clean around the toilet.

Hopefully by now you are well on your way to recovery and no longer in need of anything like this. But I'm adding a response as somebody else may need the information. A friend of mine's husband is 20 years older than she is and now needs this assistance. He has the one that looks sort of like a walker that fits over the toilet. It does not attach to anything, but is quite sturdy. Her DH is 85 and is a fairly large man but it is stable. She got it at Amazon. The fact that it is not attached makes it easy to move to clean around the toilet.

Thank You.
Yes that is probably the same type as I wound up with. I really liked it being adjustable and having the side arms to help get up and down.
Luckily I found out before making a purchase that the hospital sends you home with a potty & a walker if you do not already have one. After my insurance I paid around $25 for the pair and they were perfect.

On my first day home, my son set the potty chair up over the commode for me on the next to highest level so I didn't have to bend much at all. Then after a couple weeks we adjusted it a little lower every week til finally around week six I cleaned it up and packed it up for the next go around when I have the other hip down farther down the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts