Not Allowed, Just Frowned Upon, or No Big Deal?

Personally, I'd say it depends on how many people. If it's only 2, I wouldn't mind if they joined you. 4 or more ? Uh - couldn't you have waited for them? IME the Magical Express busses aren't usually packed on the way to the World.
I would mention to the people around me that I was waiting for 2 more, and if they wanted to go ahead, it was fine.

Do what is best for your family. Don't worry about anything else. Or certainly what anyone feels or thinks.
This is what is wrong with people these days. Where is your consideration for other guests?
People who have these "it's my way or the highway" attitudes is what is ruining the world.
It's not all about you and your family.
I'm not sorry if that sounds harsh, I'm so tired of people only being out for themselves.

I see really two options that consider everyone else's experience:

1) Everyone waits together before getting in line for DME
2) You don't wait but meet up at the resort

Coordinating different flights means things can happen. Your flight could land early , theirs could land late. Yours could land late theirs could land early, etc.

Here's what I would do--main plan would be to wait for the other party so you all board together BUT whoever lands first checks the Boards on arrivals to see where the other one is. Def. keep each other in the loop before you leave up until the point at which your phone needs to be turned to Airplane Mode.

A big enough delay, if one were to occur, would leave the decision more open if you were wanting to wait on the other group. You can always text if you end up deciding to go meet at the resort instead; once the other party lands and turns off the Airplane Mode they should get the text (hopefully they have good enough signal).

We just did the above slightly differently about a month ago when I met my husband in Vegas. He was coming from Long Beach and I was coming from KC. Our flight times were more than an hour apart but my husband was still deciding if he was going to wait for me in the terminal and we go get the rental car together or if he was going to get the rental car and then wait for me to let him know to come get me. My flight left late (because the plane was late arriving at my airport to begin with) and I let him know that but we made up a good amount of time to the point where it ended up only being about a 10min delay (taxing time included). When I landed I got the text from my husband saying he went ahead and got the rental car and was waiting in the cell phone lot for me to call. I went to the passenger pick up area and called him with where I was at.

Long story short though what I would not do is act as a placeholder in line for your other party which is why I said to me there's only 2 options not 3.

I would mention to the people around me that I was waiting for 2 more, and if they wanted to go ahead, it was fine.
That's a polite suggestion in my mind but practically I think that would be tedious to have to do that for everyone because it's not just the people around you when you enter the line and immediately after it's everyone who will be lining up period. Plus people often try to be polite and may not say it bothers them when it really would.

To me, and of course we're just sharing our thoughts here, that's a good reason why it would be just easier to wait before entering the line because you would forever be asking each new person in line if they minded and you may run into those people who do mind but don't want to speak up.

Do what is best for your family. Don't worry about anything else. Or certainly what anyone feels or thinks.
I want to make sure I understand. Are you saying to do whatever you want and the hell with how your actions affect anyone else? I mean, that's excellent advice if the OP and family are the only ones utilizing DME in their particular time range.

This is what is wrong with people these days. Where is your consideration for other guests?
People who have these "it's my way or the highway" attitudes is what is ruining the world.
It's not all about you and your family.
I'm not sorry if that sounds harsh, I'm so tired of people only being out for themselves.
I want to make sure I understand. Are you saying to do whatever you want and the hell with how your actions affect anyone else? I mean, that's excellent advice if the OP and family are the only ones utilizing DME in their particular time range.
Im saying.. Too many people want to mind others business or think that their opinions are morally superior. Not just correct....but morally correct...
What the OP described..I gave my opinion.
As for Only caring about ones own family....That is correct. Im simply saying..While on vacation Ot anything really...I take care of my family..period. Its none of my business about another family. As should any Father or Mother. Nothing wrong with that. But no one should care what someone thinks about them...no reason to care.

Just as a courtesy (yes, a word that isn't used that often in today's world) please just wait some where else and meet your party and then join the lin e. Everyone is anxious to start their vacation. The person in front of you, you and the family behind you. It's supposed to be a vacation, a chance to make family memories. If you find it hard to wait in line for a bus to start your family vacation time, perhaps Disney isn't the right vacation for you. You will experience lines for bus transportation to the parks, lines for rides, lines for meals, lines for restrooms and most of the time through security at the parks, to tap your magic band.

and in hindsight, is that 20-30 minute wait time, that "big" of a difference.

Im saying.. Too many people want to mind others business or think that their opinions are morally superior. Not just correct....but morally correct...
As for Only caring about ones own family....That is correct. Im simply saying..While on vacation Ot anything really...I take care of my family..period. Its none of my business about another family. As should any Father or Mother. Nothing wrong with that. But no one should care what someone thinks about them...no reason to care.
Stuff like this is what the "Ignore" button is for. Bye, bye.

I have been meeting up w/ my party because we fly in from different places for years. Generally if we are arriving at near the same time the first arrival will wait on the couches near the DME check in and when the second group gets there we'll go check in together at DME. We do check each other's flights because planes can be delayed or on longer flights arrive sooner than scheduled. Whomever arrives first will text 'on the ground - waiting @ DME.' And when party 2 arrives they text back that they are on their way. If the wait for party 2 is longer party 1 just texts that they are on DME & will see party 2 at the resort, or, in our case if a longer delay we'll meet up at the MK at a set time and place.
IME the DME folks check you in and direct you to your line & then you're on the bus - I've never had much of a wait in the line, although there's often a wait after you are on the bus, so most likely OP would be on the bus & on their way before the second group even got to DME.

So you wouldn't then be upset if the 30 people that you now passed ahead of suddenly see that the couple ahead of you are their long lost cousins and want to meet up with them, and are all now ahead of YOU?

IME the Magical Express busses aren't usually packed on the way to the World.
But if the busses aren't packed, then there's room for those joining 20 minutes later from the back of the line. The point is that when you enter the DME line, you don't know:
A) how long it will take before you board the bus
B) how many people will be on the bus
C) how many people want/need to board after you.

I would get in the line, if they arrive while you are waiting just move back in line to join them.

Most often, we've only waited a few minutes in the line, the majority of the wait is sitting on the bus for others to arrive. If this is the case, just wait in the building for them to arrive or get on the bus without them.

IMO, there is a big difference between the two instances/definitions of caring you make.

Not caring about what someone thinks about them is one thing

It’s an entirely different thing to espouse a philosophy of only caring about your family to the detriment of those around you.

Surely, not something I’d personally want to pass onto my children as an learning example, especially when about to embark on a Disney trip that many cannot afford in their wildest dreams. Empathy is in short supply these days.

We are fortunate to have free will to make our own decisions in life. Just hope that enough people don’t follow that ‘me & mine’ school of thought...or you might find yourself fresh out of luck if you find yourself needing unexpected assistance down the road.

Meet them in the atrium after security and walk to the bus together.
This is exactly what we have done. Maybe I just fly at odd times, but it is more rare that there is a line at DME than not. Likely, you'd be cued up in your appropriate bus line or already in the bus by the time they got there if you went ahead of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter