Not Allowed, Just Frowned Upon, or No Big Deal?

The13thLetter

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone,

We have a trip coming up in August and this is the first time we are flying separately with family. Our flight gets in around 220 and my in laws get in around 240. I was thinking that when we landed we would get into the Magical Express line to get us a head start and then when they got there they could jump in line with us. I know personally I would not care if someone else did the same thing when I was in line, but everyone may not feel the like I do, so I would not want to do that if it will upset people. I also do not want to do it if it is specially not allowed. Just wondering if anyone knows the rules for this.

PS - I dont want to turn this into an ethical debate and get everyone fighting with each other about what is right or wrong per se. I am just wondering if anyone knows if this is allowed and if they have done something similar before and what the results were.

Mods, if you think this will turn into an argument then I apologize and feel free to remove the thread.

Cheers!

I don't know that you'd even be able to manage this with not knowing how perfectly it will be timed or how long the lines are. There are times we don't have any lines at all and you go straight onto the bus and other times we wait in line for 20-30 minutes. In all likelihood, you may not be able to sit "together" anyhow on the bus so I wouldn't stress so much about trying to get on together. And considering how much I hate waiting for these buses and how eager I am to get there, I am one of those people who would be annoyed if the line in front of me suddenly got longer.

I'd suggest if you want to stay together wait until they arrive. As long as the flights aren't delayed, 20 minutes isn't that much time to wait.

Honestly it isn't worth the hassle, it is 20 minutes. I am sure there are sometimes queues, but I don't think I have personally ever waited longer than about 10 minutes at Magical Express in any case.

Ok thanks everyone. We will probably just wait for them, as we will need to stop at the restroom, change the little guy's diaper, etc. so by then it would probably only be like a 10/15 minute wait for them (I know I know, its a short time, but once we land we get so excited to get to the resort haha). I was mostly asking because we have had super bad luck with the lines for buses, one time even waiting like 45 minutes. Maybe that was just a busy arrival day/time.

Cheers!

That seems like a very bizarre/out of character wait time. But I have weird luck, I'm either the last one on the bus or one of the first people in line for the next bus....

Regardless of what you decide to do, you're really not going to make any actual decisions until one party or the other actually lands at MCO. You're flying in August, when anything is possible depending on where and how bad the weather is.

There are just too many variables with coordinating two flights to worry about how best to manage bus boarding! Wait until you're both on the ground, and then coordinate.

Hey everyone,

We have a trip coming up in August and this is the first time we are flying separately with family. Our flight gets in around 220 and my in laws get in around 240. I was thinking that when we landed we would get into the Magical Express line to get us a head start and then when they got there they could jump in line with us. I know personally I would not care if someone else did the same thing when I was in line, but everyone may not feel the like I do, so I would not want to do that if it will upset people. I also do not want to do it if it is specially not allowed. Just wondering if anyone knows the rules for this.

PS - I dont want to turn this into an ethical debate and get everyone fighting with each other about what is right or wrong per se. I am just wondering if anyone knows if this is allowed and if they have done something similar before and what the results were.

Mods, if you think this will turn into an argument then I apologize and feel free to remove the thread.

Cheers!

The way flights go, it could be your in-laws getting on the bus first anyways. I wouldn’t worry about trying to ride the ME bus together. Just meet up at the resort. :)

I personally wouldn't - find a meeting spot right before you get to the check-in area and just wait until your whole party shows up or as someone else suggested, go to the resort and get comfy while waiting. :)

Hey everyone,

Cheers!
I know you don't want a debate, but I've got to throw it out there. Let's say there are 60 seats on the bus. Your family gets there, gets in line, and gets seats 55-58. Then a couple lines up behind you and more people behind them. You REALLY think it's ok for your in laws to show up, get with you in line, and bump the next two people to the next bus?

IMO, either you're in such a rush to get the resort, you would not like having to wait for the next bus if it happened to you, or you have no problem waiting, in which case you can wait for your in laws THEN get in line.

If both flights are on time, I’d plan to meet by the ME check in desk. I’d also agree that if either flight is delayed, that we’d just meet at the resort.

What we think here is irrelevant. What matters is what the people your relatives cut in front of think.

If you want to ride together, why not just wait for them and get in line together?

Yeah, I'd say it would be up to the people between you whether it's allowed or not. And if not, you can let those people ahead of you to be with the rest of your family.

I suggest simply meeting at the resort. Meeting up before entering the DME line would work if everything goes according to plan, but in this case I think it's better to account for things not going to plan.

There are too many unknowns with flying. What if their flight is delayed by an hour and you have no way of reaching one another? Are you going to want to kill time at the airport for an hour or more with a young child?

In regards to the original question, I think saving spots in line for people who may not have even landed yet would be in poor taste. One person's time isn't more important than any of the other people who have been waiting in that same line and didn't have anyone who arrived earlier to save their spots to cut in.

I don't think its ethically a big deal, but it seems logistically more difficult than anything else. I think you should either meet somewhere in the MCO terminal or just meet at the resort.

I suggest simply meeting at the resort. Meeting up before entering the DME line would work if everything goes according to plan, but in this case I think it's better to account for things not going to plan.

There are too many unknowns with flying. What if their flight is delayed by an hour and you have no way of reaching one another? Are you going to want to kill time at the airport for an hour or more with a young child?

In regards to the original question, I think saving spots in line for people who may not have even landed yet would be in poor taste. One person's time isn't more important than any of the other people who have been waiting in that same line and didn't have anyone who arrived earlier to save their spots to cut in.

Good point about their flight could be delayed .....

I'd say if all goes well, we'll meet at X point. If there are any delays of more than Y amount, we (you) head to resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!