Not a runner, but did 5K and 10k last two years, so can you

sparkle78

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to say the whole family, DS 10, DS 12, me, Hubbie, grandparents in their 60s did the Star Wars 5 K in 2018, 10k in 2019 and just signed up for 2020.
It was and wasn’t what I expected
Thanks to all the previous posters who warned me about moving up in a corral, not being able to run a great pace due to the sheer number of people on the course, and the fun of character pictures.
If you have a general question , that I can help with, let me know

Good luck to all those registering for Star Wars race weekend

Hi. Do you know at what pace you walked? I am slow and don’t want to get swept for the 5k. Thanks!

Hi. Do you know at what pace you walked? I am slow and don’t want to get swept for the 5k. Thanks!
Disney will avoid sweeping you if they can. The official minimum pace is the same for all Disney races (16 minute mile), which is just a bit slower than 4mph. If you have access to a treadmill you can get an idea of what your personal fast pace walk is.
We got swept on last year’s Princess 10K. We knew going in that it would happen (one us had a sprained ankle), so for the first time ever we stopped for pictures. We had so many “heads up” announcements from the runDisney folks. We watched the balloon ladies pass us by. A guy on a bike told us if we got to the 5k point before the sweeper came by we could stay on the course. We just explained that we were okay with being swept but would keep walking until it occurred.

Just train as best as you can and have fun. I know that in some instances, being swept would feel tragic, and I would have been crying had I been swept during the Princess half we did in 2016, because we had signed up for the Castle to Chateau challenge. But for the stand alone 10K, knowing that we would probably be swept kept it from hurting our feelings, and getting pictures was SO much fun. Honestly, now that I know how much fun the pics are, I’m MORE likely to train properly. (I never finish training, I don’t really like running!)

Suz333 thanks for commenting, its been a busy week. I thought I read somewhere where they don’t sweep for the 5K. I know you do NOT have to show proof of times for the 5 K or 10k when registering . We put that we could run a mile in 11-12 minutes and that put us in corral D the one year and they went to corral F. So you have two entire corrals behind you which ( I think) means you really have over 30 minutes behind you .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!