Norwegian fare & Lack of Unique Foods at EPCOT'S World Showcase

txguy29

FAT_GUY_IN_A_LITTLE_COAT
Howdy everyone,
This isn't a negative thread but more of a curious what others' thoughts are on this. I noticed that one country without any sit-down or real cultural fare in Norway. Outside of a few pastries, Norway kind of gets shafted in terms of being able to show guests what their food is. While each pavilion is unique in its own way, let's be honest, we can get good food from countries such as Japan, China, Mexico, Italy, and Canada for the most part pretty easily.
Anyone else wishes that outside of the Food & Wine festival we could add another country or two to the Showcase permanently. Such as countries from Eastern Europe or South America.

Thoughts?

Have a great day Y'all and thanks in advance for posting.

Having married into a family of Norgewian descent, who have to buy lefse every time we are in Epcot, and spent time in Wisconsin with them, i can say I'm not really interested in more foods from Norway. I'm not sure how popular their fish dishes and stews would be with the tourist set.

Disney (and Universal) has a habit of putting some more exotic things on the menu, only to drop them fairly quickly if they don't sell.

I think you're missing something...
Akershus.
Well, I've been there before but that's a Princess fairytale hall type meal, with lots of things that I wouldn't consider Norweigan type food. Like bagels with cream cheese and lox. I could of missed some menu items or selections but from what I saw.

The food was a LOT more authentic back when Akershus first opened. I remember it being a buffet with a koldtbord and hot dishes, lots of herring and pickles. We only ate there the one time.

Akershus is a sit down restaurant located in the Norway pavilion.
It has American breakfast and Norwegian inspired fare for lunch and dinner.
Food cannot be too unique when trying to cater to a mass that may not want to be too adventurous.

The food was a LOT more authentic back when Akershus first opened. I remember it being a buffet with a koldtbord and hot dishes, lots of herring and pickles. We only ate there the one time.

Oh, yes-I remember it also. Do you remember when the "thing" was that your server would tell you that if you ate 7 dishes you'd be a Viking? We used to eat there often-it was our favorite restaurant in Epcot. So disappointed when it became a character meal.

Hubby especially loves Akershus. We went once before they added princesses, and I thought it was ok. I like the buffet there now a LOT. Hubby loves all the herring, fish they still have. I like the 3 salads, brown cheese, and the cooked salmon. the entrees are hit and miss.. It was our go-to TS in Epcot. Now that kids are over 9, harder to swallow the buffet prices now. I have no idea how authentic it is. I do agree that Disney often offers different/interesting menu options briefly, and then they disappear. I'm from South Louisiana, and it's very, very rare that I find anything even closely resembling Cajun food anywhere but there, or along the Gulf Coast. I just take it for what it is (sometimes tasty, but nothing authentic) when I do try it elsewhere. I would think a lot of the Epcot places are the same. Do hope to do Akershus again sooner than later. our other favorites are Boma/Tusker House, and the bakery in France.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!