Norway bound!!!

puppymom

Earning My Ears
Hubby and I just booked our very first ABD trip and we're headed to Norway Aug 30 of THIS year (so much for giving myself a year to plan ahead :P) We've never traveled internationally, so this is crazy stressful for me!!! I'd love any tips y'all have (and if anyone here is going too, that would be so exciting!!!). We are getting in a night early and have our flights all done, but beyond that, my brain is spinning!!! And if you've been to Norway, I'd love more information!!! I only found one trip report here and it was great!!! TIA!!!

I can't help much -- just took my first ABD and the beautiful thing was that there was so little to do, other than make sure I had the right clothes to pack. I think getting in at least one night early was very smart. But I just looked at that itinerary, and have another one to add to list of trips to take. It looks great. I'll be watching for your trip report!

You picked a great way to travel internationally for the first time! I had been abroad before but ABD was a *great* way to be introduced to Europe.

I always try and complete trip reports on our ABD trips. We're heading to Norway 4 July of this year so I'll be glad to give any advice that I can. We will be a party of 7 (5 adults and 2 kids age 10). We are booked for one pre and one post day as well staying through ABD.

Thank you all!!! Oh my gosh RebelHawk, I can't wait to hear how it goes!!! We are waiting to hear back on the pre-day stay, they are checking to see if there is a room!

Just make sure that your ATM Debit & Credit cards have " Chip & Pin "

Take out Travel Insurance ,

Buy a European Travel adaptor / Plug

Thank you!! I know my credit card has a chip, I'm not sure about a PIN and I'll have to check on my ATM/debit card....We did travel insurance through ABD! Any recommendations on the best travel adapter? There are a LOT of them out there on Amazon!!!

Any recommendations on the best travel adapter? There are a LOT of them out there on Amazon!!!

We bought this great little combo charger at Best Buy. It doesn't have a brand name on the charger itself, the part number is PT-MUTA2U. It has plug adapters for all over Europe and South America as well as two USB ports so we can plug in cameras, phones and laptops on one outlet.

IMG_1560.jpg

On both of my last two trips to Europe I only took cards that were chip and signature and I was fine. Just make sure you have a card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees.

I agree. Chip and pin is convenient, but most US credit cards are really chip and signature and they work fine in Norway.

Other tips that come to mind:
  • Notify your band/credit card company that you're going overseas.
  • Register with the STEP program: https://step.state.gov/step/
  • Bring over the counter meds you might need in many scenarios but verify that they're ok with the country you're visiting.

We did this trip and loved it - hope you do too!
We went over July 4, so not sure what the weather might be for when you are there.
For clothes, layering is the key. Take a 'real' rain jacket - it poured our pre-day in Bergen and my 'water resistant' jacket didnt cut it - but restaurants on the main street handed out free rain ponchos so I survived. Similarly, some waterproof or at least water resistant hiking shoes/sneakers.
Casual clothing is fine - you are in smaller places, doing a lot of outdoor things. The final dinner in Oslo was the only real dress up time - and only then if you were so inclined.
Prices were pretty high, so we bought minimal souvenirs. They sell great winter and wet weather gear, but it wasnt worth it for us because we live in the desert......
The RIB boat day in Flam was one of our favorite ABD days ever, across 8 trips!

Have a great trip

The only place chip & pin is required in Europe is automated vending kiosks, otherwise chip & signature works fine in restaurants and stores with a clerk.

The US gas stations are responsible for delay in US implementation of chip and pin, because they don't want to replace swipe and zipcode machines in the pumps.

-Paul

The only place chip & pin is required in Europe is automated vending kiosks, otherwise chip & signature works fine in restaurants and stores with a clerk.

The US gas stations are responsible for delay in US implementation of chip and pin, because they don't want to replace swipe and zipcode machines in the pumps.

-Paul

That is correct. Chip and pin cards are required to buy tickets from vending machines at train stations, at gas station pumps and toll collecting kiosks, among other places. Most people will be fine without one.

CHIP & PIN CARDS IN EUROPE

As a person who lives in Ireland & Travels in Mainland Europe

You will need a Chip & Pin card AND as a lot of people just use their mobile / cell phones to pay for

everyday spending . Very few places will accept Cheques ........ Swiping your card is a thing of the past

This morning .... Grocery shopping ... Diesel for car ... Phone Top up ...... ALL paid by Chip & Pin OR CASH

YOU MUST HAVE A CHIP & PIN CARD ..... your USA ones ...... Should work

That is correct. Chip and pin cards are required to buy tickets from vending machines at train stations, at gas station pumps and toll collecting kiosks, among other places. Most people will be fine without one.

Yep, I read same warning that you shouldn't expect your credit card to work in train station machines. I've been fine with chip and signature going to five different countries in Europe in the last two years.

Before we leave North America for any destination we always order some of the local currency from our bank. That way if we run into an issue at any point with a purchase we always have cash on us. Then as our trip winds down we will start making all purchases with that local currency and try to spend it before we leave. Well, we'll keep euros as we know we'll be going back there.

I had wondered if it was better to get some local currency here or wait until we got there! How much would you recommend we take? I hate to get a bunch and then have to re-exchange it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!