Northerners running Marathons-how do you do keep up training come snow and yuck

dvcterry

DIS Veteran
You know what I'm talking about, the snow is nice and all but those wind gusts and that yuck and slush and cold and trying to protect ourselves from the elements and run around keeping our gait during limited light hours? What's your training go-to's and techniques that work for you when you have a winter Marathon? In Orlando. Where it's warm. Shocker.

Just like the summer heat you may have to slow down a bit and be more careful. Find routes that are mostly cleared. I run in my neighborhood so I am close to home in these types of situations. I also prefer to run outside vs. treadmill which is an option if snow is too much.

Just like the summer heat you may have to slow down a bit and be more careful. Find routes that are mostly cleared. I run in my neighborhood so I am close to home in these types of situations. I also prefer to run outside vs. treadmill which is an option if snow is too much.
Me too, I just can't run on a treadmill that's why I'm reaching out to everyone here for some feedback. Last year we had some good days and then when it snowed that slush melted and froze which made for some dangerous areas. I can see where you'd want to stay close to home, know your route for safety. I've known some runners have gotten hurt on ice, slipping or just losing their gait trying to avoid snow or ice. And then trying to stay warm and dry may.

Last year, I ran on the treadmill a lot, but that's boring. What I did to mix it up was go to my high school's track - it's usually fairly clear (the bleachers keep the snow off the track), it is well-lit, and it was safe.

Now - I live in the same school district where I went to school (so I'm a known entity), and it's small so it's always open. I know that's not an option in some areas.

Last year, I ran on the treadmill a lot, but that's boring. What I did to mix it up was go to my high school's track - it's usually fairly clear (the bleachers keep the snow off the track), it is well-lit, and it was safe.

Now - I live in the same school district where I went to school (so I'm a known entity), and it's small so it's always open. I know that's not an option in some areas.
That's definitely an option. We have a track at the high school but whether it's open after school is out is another story. I'll have to look into that for sure. It does lead me to another direction with a running path not far from the high school which is open year round and people do walk/run it year round right in town.

-I tend to have a shorter stride/faster cadence. So that keeps my footfall closer to directly underneath my torso. Doing so means that I'm not usually overextended and have a lower probability of having my foot slip out from underneath myself.
-I slow down to where my effort remains constant for a certain type of run. So easy in SOG (snow on ground) is the same effort as easy in a high/humidity day. They may not be the same pace, but it feels the same.
-I also tend to slow down when I start taking a turn as to not lose that center of gravity.
-Going along with this, if I've got the choice, I usually go for the snow that's not as packed down and has a little more texture to it. That way my shoe tread has something to grip into.
-Highly recommend the NoxGear Tracer360 for visibility of others seeing you. I've also attached a small bike light to it for visibility for me.
-Clothing wise, I've found the Columbia gear to be high quality. Keeps me warm enough.
-When I'm within 14-20 days of my race, and if it's in a place I think will be warmer than what I trained in recently, then I start heat acclimization by overdressing by a considerable margin. This induces adaptations within my body to prepare for a warm weather race.

I've run a few thousand miles in WI winters the last few years and have only fallen once (fingers crossed, no jinxes!).

-I tend to have a shorter stride/faster cadence. So that keeps my footfall closer to directly underneath my torso. Doing so means that I'm not usually overextended and have a lower probability of having my foot slip out from underneath myself.
-I slow down to where my effort remains constant for a certain type of run. So easy in SOG (snow on ground) is the same effort as easy in a high/humidity day. They may not be the same pace, but it feels the same.
-I also tend to slow down when I start taking a turn as to not lose that center of gravity.
-Going along with this, if I've got the choice, I usually go for the snow that's not as packed down and has a little more texture to it. That way my shoe tread has something to grip into.
-Highly recommend the NoxGear Tracer360 for visibility of others seeing you. I've also attached a small bike light to it for visibility for me.
-Clothing wise, I've found the Columbia gear to be high quality. Keeps me warm enough.
-When I'm within 14-20 days of my race, and if it's in a place I think will be warmer than what I trained in recently, then I start heat acclimization by overdressing by a considerable margin. This induces adaptations within my body to prepare for a warm weather race.

I've run a few thousand miles in WI winters the last few years and have only fallen once (fingers crossed, no jinxes!).
I love this! Thank you so much. I have yet to find something that'll wick the moisture away and still keep me warm.

My gym has a small indoor track (5 laps = 1 mile). The weather was terrible last year when I had to do my 20 miler, so I ran 5 miles on the indoor track, then ran downstairs to the fitness area and ran 5 miles on the treadmill, then back upstairs to the track for another 5, and finished up on the treadmill. It was grueling, and after that the marathon seemed much easier!

My gym has a small indoor track (5 laps = 1 mile). The weather was terrible last year when I had to do my 20 miler, so I ran 5 miles on the indoor track, then ran downstairs to the fitness area and ran 5 miles on the treadmill, then back upstairs to the track for another 5, and finished up on the treadmill. It was grueling, and after that the marathon seemed much easier!
I want to move to wherever you live! Well, almost, I'd rather move closer to Disney or someplace warmer but I'd take an indoor track. I wish we had gyms with indoor tracks around here and yes that would make training somewhat easier. But marathon training is a commitment, so good for you! You should be proud.

You know what I'm talking about, the snow is nice and all but those wind gusts and that yuck and slush and cold and trying to protect ourselves from the elements and run around keeping our gait during limited light hours? What's your training go-to's and techniques that work for you when you have a winter Marathon? In Orlando. Where it's warm. Shocker.
I am in the Northeast (CT) and used to really hate running in the winter - I would hit the treadmill any day below freezing. Over the last few years, I have been able to deal with it better by having the right running clothes - warm compression gear like UA Cold Gear changed my life and trying to run mid day at lunch if possible or right after work when it is a bit warmer. As much as I hate the cold, I hate the treadmill more. So, now, I pretty much only run on the treadmill if the roads are so bad due to deep uncleared snow or ice. Knock on wood, I don't think the last few winters have been too bad up here. Last year I only ran on my treadmill once while preparing for Goofy in January. Of course sometimes in the winter, your favorite trails/paths or sidewalks aren't clear and you have to run a more boring route around a set of streets that have less traffic. But I would still rather be outside than on a treadmill!!

I am in the Northeast (CT) and used to really hate running in the winter - I would hit the treadmill any day below freezing. Over the last few years, I have been able to deal with it better by having the right running clothes - warm compression gear like UA Cold Gear changed my life and trying to run mid day at lunch if possible or right after work when it is a bit warmer. As much as I hate the cold, I hate the treadmill more. So, now, I pretty much only run on the treadmill if the roads are so bad due to deep uncleared snow or ice. Knock on wood, I don't think the last few winters have been too bad up here. Last year I only ran on my treadmill once while preparing for Goofy in January. Of course sometimes in the winter, your favorite trails/paths or sidewalks aren't clear and you have to run a more boring route around a set of streets that have less traffic. But I would still rather be outside than on a treadmill!!
Hello fellow Husky, yes I got one compression shirt I love. And just like you hate the treadmill. Will run any day outside unless that wind knocks the air out of me. Last year was not bad, we were fortunate and whatever snow we got did melt within a day or so. But just preparing myself in case we hit one of those winters. If you know of any good trails here in CT, or indoor places, tracks, etc just to keep me from getting bored from my usual routine, pass the info along. I find running along the coast isn't as bad as inland as well.

Hello fellow Husky, yes I got one compression shirt I love. And just like you hate the treadmill. Will run any day outside unless that wind knocks the air out of me. Last year was not bad, we were fortunate and whatever snow we got did melt within a day or so. But just preparing myself in case we hit one of those winters. If you know of any good trails here in CT, or indoor places, tracks, etc just to keep me from getting bored from my usual routine, pass the info along. I find running along the coast isn't as bad as inland as well.
Hmmm...Let' see. Not sure where you are in CT. I work in downtown Hartford and love running on the paths along the CT River on both the Hartford and East Hartford side. If you are down by the coast, last November I did the Madison Half Marathon at Hammonasset Beach. There is a nice greenway that runs along the sound. In Southern Fairfield County, I used to run on the trails around Waveny Park in New Canaan. In Northern Fairfield County, around Fairfield Hills in Newtown. Of course, all of these places are terrible in the winter when there is snow as the paths, trails and greenways are the last to get cleared when there is a snow storm. lol...As for indoor tracks, they are like a half step up from a treadmill especially if they are not the full 400 meters. In fact, I think I would rather run on a treadmill. At least you can watch a movie or sporting event while you run...

Hmmm...Let' see. Not sure where you are in CT. I work in downtown Hartford and love running on the paths along the CT River on both the Hartford and East Hartford side. If you are down by the coast, last November I did the Madison Half Marathon at Hammonasset Beach. There is a nice greenway that runs along the sound. In Southern Fairfield County, I used to run on the trails around Waveny Park in New Canaan. In Northern Fairfield County, around Fairfield Hills in Newtown. Of course, all of these places are terrible in the winter when there is snow as the paths, trails and greenways are the last to get cleared when there is a snow storm. lol...As for indoor tracks, they are like a half step up from a treadmill especially if they are not the full 400 meters. In fact, I think I would rather run on a treadmill. At least you can watch a movie or sporting event while you run...
I'm in Fairfield county. I run the Pequonnock River Trail, it's right along my gym and near my office. Weekends I'll either run along Lordship/Stratford along the water, the Farmington Canal by Quinnipiac or Savin Rock West Haven along the water. True, I've found the trails are the last to get cleared.

I love this! Thank you so much. I have yet to find something that'll wick the moisture away and still keep me warm.

These are the bottoms I run in:

https://www.columbia.com/men-baselayer-bottoms/
These are the tops I run in:

https://www.columbia.com/mens-heavy...ayer&dwvar_1638531_variationColor=054#start=0
For the most part these do the trick. They aren't perfect, but I've run in as low as -30F for over an hour and been fine. I mean, it's cold, but for me it's always been run outside or not at all.

For me it's:

50 and above - shorts and singlet
40 to 50 - shorts, singlet, and light gloves
30 to 40 - shorts, light long sleeve (like runDisney shirt), light gloves, and hat
20 to 30 - light thermal columbia pants, light thermal columbia long sleeve, medium gloves, and hat
10 to 20 - medium thermal columbia pants, medium thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, and hat (and jacket if easy day)
0 to 10 - heavy thermal columbia pants, heavy thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, balaclava, and jacket
-10 to 0 - heavy thermal columbia pants, second pair of pants, heavy thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, balaclava, and jacket
-10 and below - heavy thermal columbia pants, second pair of pants, heavy thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, balaclava, hand warmers, sunglasses, and jacket

When it comes to heat acclimatization time, I just shift downwards by 10-20 degrees or so. Therefore, if it is 20F in reality, I might treat it like it is 0F instead. The timing of this fits nicely into the normal taper pattern so it doesn't take much away from the training itself. Just be mindful to not linger outside much after the run and even consider cutting any cool down off. Because you'll be sweating up a storm, and putting yourself at a risk for hypothermia.

These are the bottoms I run in:

https://www.columbia.com/men-baselayer-bottoms/
These are the tops I run in:

https://www.columbia.com/mens-heavy...ayer&dwvar_1638531_variationColor=054#start=0
For the most part these do the trick. They aren't perfect, but I've run in as low as -30F for over an hour and been fine. I mean, it's cold, but for me it's always been run outside or not at all.

For me it's:

50 and above - shorts and singlet
40 to 50 - shorts, singlet, and light gloves
30 to 40 - shorts, light long sleeve (like runDisney shirt), light gloves, and hat
20 to 30 - light thermal columbia pants, light thermal columbia long sleeve, medium gloves, and hat
10 to 20 - medium thermal columbia pants, medium thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, and hat (and jacket if easy day)
0 to 10 - heavy thermal columbia pants, heavy thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, balaclava, and jacket
-10 to 0 - heavy thermal columbia pants, second pair of pants, heavy thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, balaclava, and jacket
-10 and below - heavy thermal columbia pants, second pair of pants, heavy thermal columbia long sleeve, heavy gloves, balaclava, hand warmers, sunglasses, and jacket

When it comes to heat acclimatization time, I just shift downwards by 10-20 degrees or so. Therefore, if it is 20F in reality, I might treat it like it is 0F instead. The timing of this fits nicely into the normal taper pattern so it doesn't take much away from the training itself. Just be mindful to not linger outside much after the run and even consider cutting any cool down off. Because you'll be sweating up a storm, and putting yourself at a risk for hypothermia.
Awesome, thank you!

For all those who find the treadmill boring, have you ever tried loading a tablet with movies/TV shows so you have something to watch on the treadmill? If you subscribe to netflix/amazon prime they let you download content for offline consumption for free.

I've had many a long run with an Avengers movie or Mulan playing.

Still in denial here in Chicago; I refuse to run on treadmills or 12 laps/mile indoor tracks. I wear NANOspikes ice spikes over my trail shoes, layer up with lots of smart wool stuff, and head to the trails. If the new snow is over 9-12 inches then I will run in the street after the first plows come through. Unlike @DopeyBadger, I fall probably once for every 25 miles of winter/snowy/icy trail running but rarely running the streets.

I ran a HM in January along the Chicago lakefront; it was below zero but the lakeside path was pretty well plowed. I was surprised both how quickly I got hot while running and wanted to shed layers, and how quickly I froze standing around after the race.

Still in denial here in Chicago; I refuse to run on treadmills or 12 laps/mile indoor tracks. I wear NANOspikes ice spikes over my trail shoes, layer up with lots of smart wool stuff, and head to the trails. If the new snow is over 9-12 inches then I will run in the street after the first plows come through. Unlike @DopeyBadger, I fall probably once for every 25 miles of winter/snowy/icy trail running but rarely running the streets.

I ran a HM in January along the Chicago lakefront; it was below zero but the lakeside path was pretty well plowed. I was surprised both how quickly I got hot while running and wanted to shed layers, and how quickly I froze standing around after the race.
Congrats on the HM. I still have to look into the ice spikes. One of my teammates from the Marine Corps Marathon I ran uses them and swears by them but I haven't tried them myself. Again, I kudos to you for the post race, I would be freezing and looking to change out of the clothes. I did Chicago in 2017 and loved it, nice flat, scenic race and great City. Went back this past New Years just to enjoy.

For all those who find the treadmill boring, have you ever tried loading a tablet with movies/TV shows so you have something to watch on the treadmill? If you subscribe to netflix/amazon prime they let you download content for offline consumption for free.

I've had many a long run with an Avengers movie or Mulan playing.
I'll take the Avengers Movie, or any Disney but the running on treadmill is tough for me. I have vertigo and running and treadmills don't mix, the ones with tv screens make it more difficult. I came a long way with my health and have had a great share of health issues, running and being outside is one gift I can not take for granted. Each day is a gift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!