Northern California wildfires creating massive smoke

Strangely enough the air quality doesn't seem to be that bad in the area around the fire compared to the Bay Area. A lot has to do with winds and terrain. I found this gif centered around Sacramento. Even though they're closer to the fire, their air quality isn't as bad as the Bay Area.

anim_aqi_sacramento_ca.gif

The air quality isn't as bad according to the map or according to tweets and other reports from people in various areas?

What color on the map stands for what?

Back in 1965 my family was visiting my uncle in Los Angeles and we went to Disneyland. Later to a neighborhood pool where the chlorine in the pool together with the smog back at that time gave my brothers and my cousins and me bad coughs.

The air quality isn't as bad according to the map or according to tweets and other reports from people in various areas?

What color on the map stands for what?

Back in 1965 my family was visiting my uncle in Los Angeles and we went to Disneyland. Later to a neighborhood pool where the chlorine in the pool together with the smog back at that time gave my brothers and my cousins and me bad coughs.

AirNow from the EPA is having problems connecting due to high demand, but here’s a legend that shows what it means. It has everything except the dark green, which I think is the lowest level of particulates.

AQI%2Bchart.png

So it's been raining quite a bit since yesterday, and that's done several things. The one that's most apparent is that the rain has heavily reduced the particulate matter in the air. The skies are blue and free of haze. Air around here is considered "good". Even around Chico and Redding it's almost ideal conditions. The moisture is helping to contain the fires. The only issue is that there are still wild land fire crews out there, and the rains are leading to muddy conditions and even some mudslides.

cur_aqi_sanfrancisco_ca.jpg

How are things going? I pray for all those poor souls :(

Very few people are directly impacted, but there are possibly 15 million people who were indirectly affected by the smoke. It literally felt like my lungs were burning when I was outdoors. I've breathed in wood smoke from a campground fire before, but that was usually tolerable. The smoke was simply thick and hazy everywhere.

The number of missing seems to have gone down as people who evacuated have contacted friends and relatives.

Also - heavy rains and slower winds have helped.

Also - heavy rains and slower winds have helped.

Helped the fire and smoke, but the rains may have washed away remains of people who had not been found yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter