Northern California in October - packing advice, please!

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
Our trip will take in San Francisco, Napa, Sacremento, Yosemite and Carmel during the second half of October. Being used to just throwing a couple of pairs of shorts and tee shirts in a bag for Florida, I know I'll have to put more thought into this trip!

Also, when I read that 'walking boots' are needed for Yosemite, how heavy-duty do the boots need to be? Is the recommendation given to try to make sure no-one tries to walk round in strappy sandals, or are conditions such that boots are a necessity? Would trainers / sturdy casual shoes be adequate?

Any advice much appreciated!

Any advice about the climate / what to pack for our trip second two weeks October?

I would say that you will need to bring a variety of items. I can't speak for Yosemite or Napa, but San Francisco can be chilly, even in the middle of summer! For Carmel, the day time temperatures can be moderate to cool since you're close to the ocean. I would say you'll probably want to wear pants and layer and/or wear a light to mid-weight jacket. In Sacramento, October is a variable month - sometimes it feels like fall and sometimes it feels like late summer.

Thanks for the advice :) We'll pack for all eventualities!

Yes your day in San Francisco could be nice and clear or freezing with wind and fog (same in Carmel). Sacramento will most likely be warm, but like the previous poster said, it could be cooler.

Be prepared for possible rain too- last year we had lots of rain on Halloween in the San Francisco/ Sacramento area. So yeah, you will need a variety of clothes :)

As far as shoes go- what kind of activities do you have planned for Yosemite? If you just plan on exploring the valley and going to the visitor center/ incline village area you should be fine with a comfortable pair of shoes (several of the water falls can be seen from a very short walk on a paved path). If you plan to go on any real hikes you definitely need good tennis shoes- and definitely hiking boots if you plan on doing something serious like hike half dome or something. Just please, please wear something with tred on the bottom for grip and no sandals/flip flops. Wear something comfortable that you have already broken in so that you don't get blisters. I get so nervous when I see people in flip flops climbing around by the water falls or leaning over the edges by the views... crazy people! Be prepared. My friend is on the Search and Rescue team there and he has horrific stories...and some silly ones about people who just didn't think ahead.

Have a great trip- you are seeing some amazing cities!

Thanks very much for the advice - it will be very useful :thumbsup2

Layers are always the answer to how to dress in the Bay area. It may still be warm the second half of October during the day. Colder at night and in the mountains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter