Northeast storm tonight

Anyone else hunkered down tonight? :cold:

What are stores, gas stations, roads like where you are?

Pretty much the same as this:

We are in downstate NY and it seems we have been downgraded from 6 inches to 2-3 inches. I was worried because I wanted to get all the snow shoveled before the rain and then arctic plunge in temps. Looks like we might just get a little snow and mostly rain and then cold temps which will freeze EVERYTHING! Got nowhere to go and fridge is stocked. Got plenty of homemade tomato soup and hot chocolate!!! Just made a big tray of sausage and peppers for dinner tomorrow night.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

MJ

here in southeast MA. It's not the snow, but the ice, people are worried about now.

The predicted totals dropped during the day yesterday. DH and I still went to a scheduled event late yesterday afternoon, and there were a few sprinkles of snow on the way. On the way home, it had started getting icy, but there were very few cars on the road, so we didn't have a problem, just drove slowly. I'm glad we don't have anywhere to go today!

I did stop at the grocery store yesterday morning, and it was busier than when I usually go - but "friendly busy" not "annoying busy". I think as many people were buying snacks for the football game as stocking up on milk and bread. :laughing: (I was actually there for DS latest favorite breakfast items and a couple of produce sales, but somehow, I also bought stuff for nachos. :rolleyes1)

NJ here east of Philadelphia. It's raining here but the temp is supposed to drop and all the water will freeze. We are flying out tomorrow from Philly and I hope we make it to the airport and our flight isn't cancelled.

It's Sunday morning, and we are still waiting for the worst of the storm to hit. We have maybe 3" or so, started around10pm Saturday. The weather patterns have shifted, so we are only scheduled for about another 12" of snow, which is better than what they were predicting on Friday, when we were in the 2ft.+ range!! It's supposed to snow all day and somewhat overnight, with some "wintry mix" thrown in for good measure. Once again, it's the ice that's the worst of it. I hope we don't lose power as we have no other source of heat, no other cooking options. There's plenty of PB and J, though!

Sunday morning and about a half inch of slush on the ground...no snow at all. Will clean off the cars, driveway and walkway/stairs and salt then back in the house and wait for the plunge in temps.

MJ

We are in Boston. Snow is over but now they're saying everything is going to freeze. DS17 works at the Franklin Park zoo and I was relieved to hear that he was told not to come in. I was not going to let him drive there today (new driver) but I didn't want to do it either!

Rain has melted away most of the snow here in eastern Connecticut...we do not plan to leave the house today or tomorrow because of the freeze up.

Fiancé’s rooting for the Rams, I want the Saints. Then we’ll both root for the Chiefs. Got quite the spread for both games—homemade chicken tenders and fries with a variety of dips and then our own version of dim sum with a ton of Asian appetizers and teriyaki steak skewers. Although I sure wish I had thought to buy nacho ingredients like @PollyannaMom!

Southeast PA, we have nothing but rain. Going to chase grandkids home quickly after church. Suppose to drop below freezing by 2 pm. Don't want them driving in icing condition. Anything put down by road crew will have be washed away.

Just to judge how crazy I am, what do you do to prepare for a power lost?

Good luck...that is what they lead us to believe it would be like before they lowered the amounts here. As beautiful as it is I am done with winter. I feel for you.

MJ
The weathermen are so proud of themselves this morning. One of them just looked right at the camera and goes, “As far as totals go, not much has changed in the last 24 hours”. Like, “Yes! We got it right for once!”

Most ended up coming over night... I would say there's probably a foot total out there now but it's light and fluffy and the snowblower took care of it fairly easily. Our road looks fine... Will have to see how the main roads look on the way to mass. Snow total doesn't bother me much, it's the low temp dip that has come with it... we had a pretty mild winter until today, my thermostat outside says zero.

Southeast PA, we have nothing but rain. Going to chase grandkids home quickly after church. Suppose to drop below freezing by 2 pm. Don't want them driving in icing condition. Anything put down by road crew will have be washed away.

DH and I just plugged in all our electronics so the batteries are fully charged. We both have work we can do on our laptops without the internet. Neither my Nook nor my tablet need internet for things like games and reading, so I'll be good there, too. The thermostat is set up about 5 degrees higher than usual, to keep the house warm longer. We have food that needs no cooking or refrigeration- mostly cheese and crackers, PB&J for sandwiches or crackers, fruit, bread, yogurt, etc. Fortunately we have town water and sewage so we won't lose our water; I always forget that for folks on a well/pump, no electricity also means no water. If we lose our power we'll drip the faucets so the pipes don't freeze, hopefully. We each showered this morning, so no problem there. Hmmm... located flashlights, made sure the batteries were good, pulled out a few snuggly blankets for the living room, just in case it gets cold in here. (Who am I kidding, it's always cold in here, usually about 58F... old house, bad insulation...). That's about it. If we run out of "real" food, we always have our Christmas candy!!

Sunday morning and about a half inch of slush on the ground...no snow at all. Will clean off the cars, driveway and walkway/stairs and salt then back in the house and wait for the plunge in temps.

Yes, that's the problem, all the slush is going to freeze with these low temps! Be careful walking! A couple of years ago I took a huge spill in my driveway on ice. As in, up in the air and crashing back down on my arm and side! Fortunately I didn't break anything, but I was banged up and sore for a while!

I think leebee hit on the main points. That's why the gas stations are busy, too, pumps can go down in a power loss and it's difficult to find gas. We have some battery-operated lanterns that we keep handy for storms, and a small generator if necessary mainly to keep the fridge on and get the Keurig and microwave working in order to prepare hot beverages and easy meals. We have a gas fireplace in our living room so if we do lose power, we gather there with everyone and the pets (dog, hamster) even sleeping there if necessary. We are coastal, too, so flooding is always a concern in our area. We are inland but stay away from the flood zones.

DH and I just plugged in all our electronics so the batteries are fully charged. We both have work we can do on our laptops without the internet. Neither my Nook nor my tablet need internet for things like games and reading, so I'll be good there, too. The thermostat is set up about 5 degrees higher than usual, to keep the house warm longer. We have food that needs no cooking or refrigeration- mostly cheese and crackers, PB&J for sandwiches or crackers, fruit, bread, yogurt, etc. Fortunately we have town water and sewage so we won't lose our water; I always forget that for folks on a well/pump, no electricity also means no water. If we lose our power we'll drip the faucets so the pipes don't freeze, hopefully. We each showered this morning, so no problem there. Hmmm... located flashlights, made sure the batteries were good, pulled out a few snuggly blankets for the living room, just in case it gets cold in here. (Who am I kidding, it's always cold in here, usually about 58F... old house, bad insulation...). That's about it. If we run out of "real" food, we always have our Christmas candy!!
Ugh, just thinking about it! Hey, under your post for me there is an LLBean ad! (Now how did they know? :scratchin )

I did stop at the grocery store yesterday morning, and it was busier than when I usually go - but "friendly busy" not "annoying busy". I think as many people were buying snacks for the football game as stocking up on milk and bread. :laughing: (I was actually there for DS latest favorite breakfast items and a couple of produce sales, but somehow, I also bought stuff for nachos. :rolleyes1)
I remembered the nacho stuff, too. :teeth: And breakfast fixins'. :goodvibes DD had to work overnight last night and DS spent the night at his girlfriend's house for her birthday, but they'll be home tonight and we're all off on Monday, which will be nice. So rare to have us all home together.

We are in Boston. Snow is over but now they're saying everything is going to freeze. DS17 works at the Franklin Park zoo and I was relieved to hear that he was told not to come in. I was not going to let him drive there today (new driver) but I didn't want to do it either!
It's good that they told him to stay home! DD, as I mentioned last night, had her first commute to work at night in the storm, but it wasn't too bad. She took my SUV and left the college clunker at home. :laughing: She left the house early, but wound up being a few mins late for work because she stopped at an ATM on the way there to make a deposit and the ATM wouldn't give her card back for over 20 minutes! Then she got stuck behind the plows. But she called work to say she was running a little late and they told her not to worry about it, to just take her time and be safe, which was good. (I'm sure they were just happy she was coming in!) This morning coming home she saw a pickup truck off the road in a ditch, and a highway sign had blown down and a state trooper was diverting traffic around it.

We got buried and are still under a Level 3 driving ban. My son was required to be at work at midnight, despite the ban, and got stuck in a snowdrift before he could even get out of the neighborhood. Not a single plow had come down our street in the 12 hours that it had been snowing & my kid was the only car out. It took me forever to walk in the knee deep snow to where he was was stuck. Luckily, a wonderful man who works for the railroad saw his headlights and towed him out. Then he drove his huge truck all the way to our house so we could drive in his tracks. We are actually still under a Level 3 until at least noon.
50605839_10213589224509936_7460435047296794624_n.jpg

North of Boston and route 128 we have about 6-7 inches of snow. It is now sleeting. The ice is what is scary especially with the temps going down to single digits tonight. I hope we can all keep power through this.

Luckily we did no lose power last night. It flickered a few times but held on. I went out this morning as I needed a couple things at the store (who am I kidding, I needed one thing at the store and then bought fried mushrooms and chicken wings cause I wanted them) and the roads are still bad. Even the main ones which have been plowed a few times are slick and slushy. Side roads (even what I consider "major" side roads) are horrible and I slid once or twice on them even going way slow. When I went out to my car though I could barely get the door open and the ice was so thick on some of the windows I couldn't scrape it off. So I had to crank up the heat and wait for things to start melting. Ugh... glad I am home until Tuesday now!

UUGH, winter, “‘‘tis the season”!The deep freeze this afternoon and tonight, even NYC is supposed to be something like 9 degrees tomorrow morning, brrrr!

As a West Coaster it just seems like the Network News labels every storm on the East Coast as "The Storm of the Century".
My mom was from Canada and after she and her 2 sisters and brother retired, seems like every January one of her siblings and their spouse would come down and spend January with her and they would laugh at the coverage on the news of what they would consider a typical snow storm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter