Non-excursion in Cozumel, Georgetown or Falmouth

scottb8888

DVC: SSR, HHI & BVI
Heading out in a few months for the Western Cruise. Which of these stops is best just to do local sight seeing around the terminal? What can we do if we don't want to do the typical shore excursions?

Chankanaab, Paradise beach and Mr Sanchos are great beach clubs in Cozumel. 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman is nice. There really not much to do around the ports. There's some shops and a few restaurants. Expect to harassed by locals trying to sell you stuff. This is the norm just about everywhere. I wouldn't leave the secure port of Falmouth unless your on a excursion. Outside of the port area in Falmouth is a real.....dump.

Cozumel is easy, and safe, but you should count on taking a cab to get anywhere, unless you just want to shop. There is no sightseeing in the immediate pier area. Drives can be 10-15 minutes, or further, depends on what you want to do.
Cayman is easy and safe, too, thanks to Disney's pier being right in the heart of Georgetown. You can wander around there, or take a mini-van-taxi to the beach (5-15 minutes), etc.
It IS POSSIBLE to walk to the beach from the downtown pier, have done it, but it's quite a walk for most.

In Falmouth, I would not leave the gated cruise shopping area, unless on a guided tour.
I'm saying this as someone who has left the pier area on my own in Honduras...to hire a driver to go to some of the reefs... but now, and with kids, no way.
You have to drive to get from Falmouth to any of the attractions, can be up to a 40 minute drive I believe.

I don't know if you are into beaches but Grand Cayman has the best beaches. I think of Royal Palms which has only a 2$ entrance fee and is a 4$/pp cab ride from the pier. It's really nice.

We went to Nachi Cocom beach club in Cozumel and it was one of the highlights of our cruise. It is a private beach club that is limited to 130 ppl per day. Granted -- we were there on a Monday so it was *very* quiet, so I do not know what it is like on a busier day. But for us, it was serenity -- a nice, quiet beach virtually to ourselves. We have 3 small children who just like to build sand castles and swim (less into the big inflatables and such) so they loved it.

What I mean by Non-excursion is: Is there anything worthwhile to do within walking distance of the port?

I've researched this question and Grand Cayman seems to be the only place where you can walk to things outside the secure port area. The general consensus is that you definitely don't want to leave the secure port area on your own in Falmouth without an arranged plan. I've read reports where people tried to do that and were warned off by the local Jamaican police patrolling the area.

There are Margarittavilles in the Falmouth and Grand Cayman port areas. Not sure about Cozumel.

There's a Margaritaviile in Cozumel also. It's about 3 miles from the port.

The Margartitaville in Grand Cayman is in the shopping area directly across from the tender port.

The Margaritaville in Falmouth, is inside the secure port area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!