• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Non Disney Question: Upper respitory problem with smells.

zumbergc

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

I have upper respitory problems which get aggrivated by things like perfumes and sprays and such.

Going thru high school & college I always dealt with the disabilities services on my college campus. It was a fight since one of my issues is the chalk gets me sick.
Worked in a office env for several years, had an ok boss, if I needed something special I just needed a doc note and we were good.

On to my current hurdle. I love to goto the gym. I love to workout. However, I've been out of the regular group fitness classes for quit some time. Probably out of most of the regular classes for over a year, if not two. I use to do yoga, it was relaxing, and I liked it.

Now, I'm attempting to get back into the class, and they are now spraying smelly perfume stuff on towels. Which makes me sick, so I have to leave at the end of class when they get that stuff out.

I've talked to the club manager and aerobics coordinator, and am going to fight it up the coorporate ladder. They are telling me that they are going to spray perfume on the towels before class, and bring the smelly towels into class and thats all they are going to do. They pretty much don't care.

Since many of the members on this board have disabilites both seen and unscene how have you handled issues where places don't want to make accomidations?

My biggest problem is they have a wonderful water aerobics program, and most of the clubs around me don't have pools. So, I've got a delema, I'd like to go somewhere which is more friendly to my health issues, but many other clubs don't offer water classes. The current head water lady, I'll call her that, has been involved with lots of other clubs and such, and prettty much makes the place awesome because she has rehabbed herself with water, and also has lots of health issues and is so pro helping and accomidating people with special circumstances.

I'm just very frustrated, and am hoping someone can point me or give me some direction to follow.
Sorry this is off topic.
Thanks again,
Connie

Since many people seem to be sensitive (or actually allergic) to perfumes and colognes, members of my local stagehands union have been requested to be showered and clean, but refrain from wearing perfume while at work on stage.

Of course, those of us who work in the public audience areas are bombarded with fragrance. Sometimes I wonder if a respirator with organic filters would be too... offensive to patrons. They require us to wear them in the paint booth.

:teeth:

I could never work in a sales, or public work place. Its bad enough when I have to go past smokers to get into stores, or buildings, have run thru the perfume sections of stores to get to clothing sections. Always seems the department stores at the mall put the perfume at the entrance from the mall. I take a deep breath, look for the shortest route and dart thru and cover my mouth and nose.
Connie

That is a shame that the company will not help you. I hope that you find company that is more helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter