Non-Disney Aspergers question

Earstou

DIS Veteran
Everyone is so knowledgeable here, so I hope you don't mind me asking for help! My DS has a mild case of Aspergers, and the main problem we have now is that it's difficult for him to write for school. This first popped up last year when he started on book reports. This year he is getting bad grades on tests because he can't write an essay for tests (only writes one sentence). He's extremely bright, but has trouble coming up with anything to write, and gets frustrated by this. I know as he advances in school this will become more of a problem. So I need to work on it now!
I've searched for answers as to how to help him, and can't find any info. So far the school hasn't been any help, they focus on social and transition problems. I'm going to start demanding help for the writing, but would like suggestions, since I have no clue where to start to help him.

Can he come up with an oral answer? If so perhaps a scribe. If not has anyone taught hom webbing. It is a process where you put your main point in a circle and then add lines for supporting information. A type of diagram. Different teachers do it different ways.

Start with topic in a circle then draw lines out with more circles for main points then supportin info goes on lines out from the main point circles.

My aspie son had problems like this for some time, part of the problem was the actual writing - his writing is always a scrawl and writes the absolute bare minimum (although very articulate verbally) writing has always been a real "chore"

I don't know if you have anything similar on your side of the pond, but both the primary and high school have "alphasmarts" - they are basically word processors, nothing fancy & no games - about the size of a small keyboard with a led screen a bit larger than the space bar, and can be linked to printers etc.

The main thing is that it gets away from the actual writing down.
(It has also helped my dyspraxic son too).

My nephew has Aspergers and I know one of his big problems is actually with the process of writing (like CarolDel mentioned). Even copying things off the blackboard is hard for him. It takes forever and is barely legible.
I know that he is allowed extra time for writing for tests (it's part of his IEP), but I've heard of other people using the ideas that Talking Hands mentioned or being able to use some sort of computer for all the writing involved in schoolwork.

My 9 year old with asperger's has had great difficulty with writing. His IEP includes him having someone read him the questions, he gives a verbal answer and a scribe writes it down for him. (We had it written that way because last year he tried to do it all himself and couldn't keep up. He would miss the last 3/4ths of whatever the class was working on, not because he couldn't do the work, but because he couldn't get it down on paper.) He also has an alphasmart at his desk and does most of his homework on the computer at home. Being able to keep up has improved his self-esteem. (Imagine how hard it is to be last every time.)

Check the IDEA law - schools are obligated to meet your child's disability. Good luck.

Wow, this is great. My ds (7 1/2) has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. He has lways been getting low marks for his writing and such because he is so brief. I was kind of thinking he just couldn't be bothered but this makes perfect sense. Because on vacation at the world last year his assignment was to write in his journal every day about what we did.

He would write one sentence but if I asked him he would give me a much longer recap. I am meeting with our school and board members this month again and I will definitely be making some of these requests.

I love these boards!

Thanks for all the replies! To add more detail:
My son IS slow at writing, and they have made minor accommodations: he only copies spelling words once and does about 1/2 the math problems due to being slow.
But with the writing, the big problem tends to be not being able to get started. It's like he can't organize his thoughts, or he can't pick which thought in his head he should use. This also seems to extend to writing while using a computer.
We have sat with him, asking him to verbalize his thoughts. But he doesn't like to talk in the classroom. The school taught him the webbing, but for whatever reason, nothing has seemed to make much of a difference.
Even worse, now that he is approaching 11, he has realized that he is different than the other kids, and has also been teased and taunted about the little bit of accomodations that are already in place. He is resisting anything that would be noticeable to the others kids!
I keep hoping something else is out there, that could be worked on before he hit middle school, and wouldn't be obvious to his classmates.
Any other suggestions? I've already learned so much about aspergers since I joined this group! Thanks again!

The Alphasmart is being introduced into my son's IEP for next year (third grade). To get him ready, I've been teaching him typing on the PC...he's getting fast (scary, he'll be typing much faster than mom by the time he gets the thing). However, if the new school district isn't as accommodating, I will be pushing for my son to do oral exams...gosh, he loves to talk, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem!

Poor writing seems to be a universal thing with Aspies...I'm wondering how much of it has to be due to the pressure of the pen/pencil on the hand?

Have you ever gone to Barb Kirby's message boards? I'm sure someone has a solution.

Suzanne

Hi everyone! Newbie here. My 7 y/o DS also has Asperger's and is experiencing the same problem with his book reports in first grade. His handwriting has greatly improved thanks to OT.

Suzanne- would you mind listing the link to the Barb Kirby message board? Thanks!

Also, does anyone have any suggestions/helpful hints for our first family trip to WDW this summer? Chance loves amusement parks so we are hoping this will translate over to WDW.

Great board!
Angie

Originally posted by Poohnatic
Poor writing seems to be a universal thing with Aspies...I'm wondering how much of it has to be due to the pressure of the pen/pencil on the hand?

My ds (10yo) has motor dyspraxia as well as sensory integration dysfunction so I think he's got a combo of the pressure of the pen/pencil and not having the motor dexterity to write. On top of that, he has had the AlphaSmart in his IEP for 3 years now and he HATES it! :mad: He will work on the computer in the classroom but even that is not his favorite thing to do.

Have you ever gone to Barb Kirby's message boards? I'm sure someone has a solution.
Is this a support group? Can you post a link?

I wanted to ask about a support group after receiving my DS's report card this week. This current teacher is annoying me, previous teachers have made accomodations or worked with my son, but not this teacher. He has made no accomodations, but continues to complain. Now he has given my DS a grade of 70% in social developement! How can they possibly grade a child like this on social developement???
Does this seem out of line to anyone else or am I just too sensitive about this?
I will definitely be calling the school (again) this week!
Thanks for letting me blow off steam!

Does your son have an IEP? If so the teacher is required to provide all accommodations called for in the IEP.

Originally posted by Earstou
Is this a support group? Can you post a link?

Here is the URL to the OASIS website:

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

Lots of helpful information with a message board but it's not truly a support group. It really has helped me over the past 3 years as we've gone through the maze of IEP's and such with school.

I had a similar problem with my ds on his report card last year. Got a poor grade on social development...in our meeting with the school board I used the following analogy--If my son was in a wheelchair he would not be graded on how fast he could run in gym class. Seemed to be a lightbulb moment for them. I must say though so far I have been getting great support from his school and school board.

Can someone explain what the alphasmart is?

Originally posted by Earstou
Now he has given my DS a grade of 70% in social developement! How can they possibly grade a child like this on social developement???
LOL. I think he should be very proud of a grade of 70! That's a pretty good grade for a child with Aspergers.
It made me think of something my nephew had gotten in trouble with when he was in 6th grade. His therapist clued him in that you can often get cues about appropraite social behavior by watching other people. He visited a high school and saw young men going down the hallways bumping into and playfully giving little punches on the arm to their friends. They all seemed to like it, so when he got back to his school, he started bumping into and hitting random people in the hall. His teacher didn't understand at all when he said he was just trying to be friendly.

I HAVE A 14 YEAR OLD DS WITH ASPERGERS. LOTS OF ENCOURAGEMENT BOTH AT HOME AND ESPECIALLY FROM THE CLASS TEACHER SEEMS TO HELP THE CONFIDENCE ISSUE. WE PRACTICE WRITING AND COMPUTER WORK IN A GAME FORMAT THIS IS WORKING, SLOWLY, FOR MY DS. MY FRIEND WHO HAS A CILD WITH MILD ASPERGERS HAS FOUND SOME USEFUL INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET SITES FOR GIFTED CHILDREN AND MENSA. I DO NOT KNOW THE WEB ADDRESSES THOUGH, SORRY. GOOD LUCK, TRY TO KEEP SMILLING, ALL WE CAN DO IS OUR BEST FOR OUR CHILDREN AND HOPE.

SHELLE:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter