Nokogiriyama ( Saw Tooth mountain) Chiba.... Anyone been here.... Thoughts?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
So I have been looking for some type of half day trip... kinda off the beaten path... for our upcoming trip mid-November... I have seen a couple of vlogs on it, and it looks amazing...

I know that TDR and this location seem to be very closes... I think that we can get there by the Trains or Ferry... I still have to research it a bit more...
As well there is a cable car that will take you up, and you can hike back down, there is a Carving, Buddha, and Temple...

So right now our plan is to head to Disney first... DH is leaning toward staying with a package on site... just due to the fast pass options...

I was thinking, that we could check out from Disney... check our bags, and go over to Nokogiriyama and Chiba explore some... then back to Disney to grab our bags... and head into Tokyo where we will spend the rest of our trip at...

Then our neighbor suggested... that it would be easier to hire a private car for the day... this way we could take our bags with us, and do whatever we wanted and then they could drop us at our hotel in Odiaba... The neighbors did this on their trip last year, and it worked out very well... they would tell the driver where they wanted to go, drop them off then wait, then pick up and move on to the next destination... as well the driver had some suggestions for them as well... She said that since they will not except tips, that they paid for his lunch, and a stop for ice cream...

Thoughts ?

I have never been to Nokogiriyama. It looks interesting, I hope you will report about it if you do go there!

I read that some hiking courses were closed due to the typhoon damages from last year. This was reported March this year. Hope everything is well by November.

While hiring a private car sounds very convenient, it seems like a waste for this side trip. I think you will be spending most of the time at Nokogiriyama, if you want to check out everything there. Not sure if you will have time to explorer Chiba. Of course if money is not an issue, go for it...it will be great if you don't have to worry about catching a train or ferry that have limited schedule (one in 1 hour?). I have no idea how much a private car hire for something like this would cost in Japan.
Have you thought about sending your luggage to your next hotel before leaving Disney? Most train stations have lockers, so you can leave some bags in there if needed. But be sure to check the stations.

I have never been to Nokogiriyama. It looks interesting, I hope you will report about it if you do go there!

I read that some hiking courses were closed due to the typhoon damages from last year. This was reported March this year. Hope everything is well by November.

While hiring a private car sounds very convenient, it seems like a waste for this side trip. I think you will be spending most of the time at Nokogiriyama, if you want to check out everything there. Not sure if you will have time to explorer Chiba. Of course if money is not an issue, go for it...it will be great if you don't have to worry about catching a train or ferry that have limited schedule (one in 1 hour?). I have no idea how much a private car hire for something like this would cost in Japan.
Have you thought about sending your luggage to your next hotel before leaving Disney? Most train stations have lockers, so you can leave some bags in there if needed. But be sure to check the stations.

OP here,

I do plan on writing a trip report when I get back... I also saw the issue with some of the trails... It does look amazing, really beautiful... The carving in the mountain is so interesting... It seems like it would be a really perfect half day side trip...

DH absolutely hates to drag the luggage around... and so do I... so it might be worth it for us to go this route...Plus we are doing Disney at the first part of our trip, so I will have to assume that we most likely will have another bag, for all the loot I am planning on buying... LOL

We have used private car companies before and it has worked out great... while we have never booked a car and driver for the day, it might be worth it, for convenience and time saving... and if we use the same car company it might work out for us... We have used private cars on several trips, and the more trips you have normally they do offer a discount...
Once it gets closer to time to go and I know that we are really going to be able to go... I will dig in and see if its worth it...

We looked at going during our most recent trip in November 2019.

Ultimately, we decided not to for two reasons. Firstly, Google Maps was telling us it would be around 3 hours (from memory) travel time to and from the destination on public transport (and at that time of year, it was getting dark around 5pm so we wouldn't have had many daylight hours, even if we were up early). Secondly, it was forecast to rain on the day we had set aside to visit (and we didn't want to be hiking in the rain).

It's still on the "to do" list, but would probably need to wait for a trip at a time of year with longer daylight hours so that the travel time isn't such a time suck.

We did go to Mt Mitake and it was really pleasant. We've also previously been to Mt Takao and really enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!