• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

No TEFRA in NC?

SereneOne

DIS Veteran
We were going to be moving to North Carolina, DH has a great offer for a job that pays twice what he is making. However, it does not include insurance, we would have to get private insurance. Our daughter is covered by our BCBS insurance and SSI/Medicaid is her secondary insurance. Even if you get a dollar of SSI, you get Medicaid. I know friends that do not qualify for Medicaid/Disability and they get TEFRA. We live in South Carolina.

What the heck do those of you that live in states without TEFRA do? If we can't get Meg covered, we won't take the job, but there has to be something in NC....what do parents do that do not have TEFRA and don't qualify for SSI/Medicaid?

:headache:

What is TEFRA? Can you call your social worker to see if they can give you some info for another state?

TEFRA (Katie Beckett) Medicaid Option: State Policies
Issue
Families of children with serious mental or emotional disorders are often unable to obtain the specialized and intensive services their children need through their private insurance policy or by paying out-of-pocket. Medicaid provides the range of services children with disabilities require and can be a life-saving resource for these families. However, many such families have incomes too high to be covered under normal Medicaid rules.

Details on the TEFRA rules as they relate to children with mental disorders.

State Option
Under federal law, states have the option to cover children with physical and mental disabilities in the community if the child would be eligible for Medicaid institutional services but can be cared for at home. This option was authorized by the Tax Equity and Financial Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA); it is sometimes called the Katie Beckett option after the child whose situation inspired it.

Children Who Are Not Covered
In half the 20 states that have the TEFRA option, no children with mental or emotional disorders have qualified for the program. While federal law does not permit states to exclude qualified children based on their disability, these states’ policies have effectively done just that. The states are: Connecticut, Georgia, Idaho, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, Nevada, Rhode Island, South Carolina and South Dakota.

State Policy Issues
State rules in these 10 states may be causing children with mental disorders to be in appropriately excluded under TEFRA. When states set policy for their TEFRA option they must do the following:

clarify the definition of a medical institution that the child would need to be admitted to without the community services of TEFRA;
define the level of care the state considers to be “normally provided” in these institutions;
clarify how the state will decide that home care is appropriate for the child; and
explain how the state will calculate that home care does not cost more than the alternative care in the medical institution.
In setting these policies, states can affect the degree to which children with mental disorders access the program. For example, state rules defining a medical institution and the level of care a child needs in order to be at risk of placement in such an institution can be problematic for children with mental and emotional disorders. A number of states include reference to “psychiatric hospitals” in their definition of medical institution. These states have children with mental disorders on TEFRA, while most of those that do not reference psychiatric hospitals do not.

Parent Information
Parents need information about TEFRA and assistance in applying. States where children with
mental and emotional disorders qualify under TEFRA have parent booklets and other materials that reference the eligibility of children with mental and emotional disorders. Often this information is also featured on a web page. Materials need to be short and easy to read, but must include appropriate information on the option and how to apply.

Materials, while useful, are not sufficient to ensure that families learn of TEFRA. Families in states with the TEFRA option complain of:

difficulty understanding how to provide the appropriate documentation of disability;
long and complex application forms;
significant delays before a decision is made on an application;
requirements for re-application yearly or at other time intervals;
denials resulting from missing information when the parent was unaware of this fact;
difficulty finding assistance to help them complete the application.
Several states have engaged in outreach and other educational efforts to overcome these barriers, such as:

outreach to familiy organizations;
in-service training on TEFRA for community mental health program staff and training and orientation about TEFRA for Medicaid eligibility workers;
distribution programs to provide materials to pediatrician offices, children’s hospitals, county offices and other places where families may pick them up.
Some states also designate individuals to help families fill out TEFRA applications. For example, Wisconsin has regional Katie Beckett consultants.

TEFRA is an insurance for disabled children with astronomical medical bills that can't financially qualify for Medicaid. I thought they had it in all states, but recently found out they only have it in twenty and NC is not one of the twenty.

My daughter does not have a social worker. She gets a few dollars of SSI and because of that, she has Medicaid as her secondary insurance. With the new job, DH would make too much, but our daughter's medical bills are too high to afford without insurance. Her tubefeeding supplies and Pediasure run over 1500 a month, but she is down from eight doctors down to five and soon four once her cardiologist signs off on her (she had heart surgery a couple of years ago, it will be her last check up in a couple of months).

I wondered what you parents do that do not have insurance and live in a state without TEFRA...

I have never heard of this before unless it is what is called AllKids in Alabama. AllKids is health insurance for any child whose family does not have healthcare coverage. I wish I could get services for my DS. We have BCBS but our out of pocket expense is still very high on just him and we don't qualify for medicare/ssi. Medicaid said they won't take him until he is 18. And then there is a wait list!

I have never heard of this before unless it is what is called AllKids in Alabama. AllKids is health insurance for any child whose family does not have healthcare coverage. I wish I could get services for my DS. We have BCBS but our out of pocket expense is still very high on just him and we don't qualify for medicare/ssi. Medicaid said they won't take him until he is 18. And then there is a wait list!

Unfortunately, there is no KB law in Alabama, and AllKids isn't the same. I wish we had KB. I have met a mom here who achieved the same thing by working through the Medicare system somehow. While the services she is getting are intending for the elderly, somehow they were approved. I don't know anything else about how she did it.

OP, can you check with your children's hospital and ask them to assign you a social worker to help you with this? Or check with the children's hospital where you would be moving? Our social worker was assigned to us through the clinic we go to. All of there patients are assigned, and it has been a lot of help to have that resource.

Do you know what county in NC you are moving to? You should call that county's DSS and asked for someone in the MAD program. I live in NC and I used to work at DSS, but not in Medicaid, but I do know a little about it. As far as I know, anybody receiving SSI is eligible for Medicaid in NC, regardless of parents income/insurance status.

Do you know what county in NC you are moving to? You should call that county's DSS and asked for someone in the MAD program. I live in NC and I used to work at DSS, but not in Medicaid, but I do know a little about it. As far as I know, anybody receiving SSI is eligible for Medicaid in NC, regardless of parents income/insurance status.

SSI/Disability ends when you make about 50,000 a year. I know the two months that DH gets an "extra" pay check, they take away her SSI and her Medicaid. (He gets paid bi-weekly).

It would be in Winterville/Greenville NC area.

Sorry I took so long to respond. Did not realize there was more replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter