No more volunteers for DLR races?

I had my ID out when we went to pick up our bibs, but the person did specifically ask for it just as I was handing it over, so I suspect there's just a lot of variability based on individual. It's also possible they asked for the ID and the thief did a good sob story of saying she'd forgotten it/lost it or something like that and the desk person bought it.

Did they take pictures for the PDC this year at bib pick up?

My dd (16) was not told to take a picture. If I wasn't on these boards there is no way I would have know that is part of the process. They did look at my ID not hers since she's under 18 when we picked up her bib. They just handed it to us and put on her pink C2C wristband.

Like was mentioned in the article, have to wonder if the person the bib originally belonged to posted something in social media and "Patty" picked up the info from there.

As was stated, they belonged to the same group on FB. Once you're active on something like that it's not THAT hard to pick up tidbits and put them all together.

She said she printed her waiver out at the expo and wonders if "Patty" saw her on the computer and got her info there as she doesn't go by her legal last name on facebook, so Patty knew her legal last name to sign it that way as she saw it on the sign in sheet that way. So she doesn't think it was from social media but just being picked out at the expo using the computer to print her waiver.

Yeah I agree that it sounds weird, but that's what the person whose bib was stolen thought was how it happened due to her legal name being used which is not how it is on facebook.

I think she just doesn't want to face up to the fact that it probably isn't that hard to work out who she is. All she has to do (all ANY of us have to do) is post another race she's done and her time, and anyone with enough time can find that person. And probably the bib-stealer had other bibs she could have tried for that day, too.

I don't discount her (the bib-stealer) having help, either. Because the likelihood of her finding one of the training-lite temps who wasn't going to check her ID just seems so slim, especially since she has to pick it up from one or two exact people...

Also...Facebook requires that you use your actual name... FB "is a community where everyone uses the name they go by in everyday life....The name on your profile should be the name that your friends call you in everyday life. This name should also appear on an ID or document from our ID list." Hope FB employees don't notice that she's (the one whose bib was hijacked until Disney helped her) not using her correct name.

Last edited:
Also...Facebook requires that you use your actual name...

A lot of people, especially teachers I know, while they opened their Facebook accounts with their real names, later modify the name that appears so their students can't easily find them. It might be their married name, or they have their Facebook with their maiden name while their legal name has changed, or they go by just their first and middle names. It's common enough practice that- unless they were pretending to be someone who doesn't exist, Facebook isn't going to hassle everyone who does it.

But really, isn't all you need to do for someone to find your real name is to post a picture from another race with your bib visible? Then anyone could look up the results for that bib #,which would include the name you registered under.

I remember when we were trying to find bib numbers for Princess before they were released- I think through a marathon photo site- I found a link that gave you the name and bib number of everyone on the race. It didn't give the birthday, but heck a determined thief could just guess at that over and over to get the waiver and I bet theres no "three strikes and you are locked out" penalty.

But really, isn't all you need to do for someone to find your real name is to post a picture from another race with your bib visible? Then anyone could look up the results for that bib #,which would include the name you registered under.

I remember when we were trying to find bib numbers for Princess before they were released- I think through a marathon photo site- I found a link that gave you the name and bib number of everyone on the race. It didn't give the birthday, but heck a determined thief could just guess at that over and over to get the waiver and I bet theres no "three strikes and you are locked out" penalty.

Yeah, we seem to be focused on how she got the name and bib#, but that really is the easy part. It's also not that hard to find someone's birthday, either. After that, she seems practiced at whatever method she uses to either present fake ID, or get out of it altogether.

Just listened to the latest Team Shenanigans podcast, they are saying they got an email from someone at runDisney (the person remains anonymous) that said they went to temp agencies because of money. When they were volunteers it cost Disney about $150 pp and temp workers are $12/ hour. The email also said light side might happen or it might not, there's some infighting at DL runDisney right now. I find this very interesting especially because I listened to the Another Mother Runner podcast last week that had a former DL runDisney employee on that left 4 months ago for another race series.

Last edited:
Just listened to the latest Team Shenanigans podcast, they are saying they got an email from someone at runDisney (the person remains anonymous) that said they went to temp agencies because of money. When they were volunteers it cost Disney about $150 pp and temp workers are $12/ hour. The email also said light side might happen or it might not, there's some infighting at DL runDisney right now. I find this very interesting especially because I listened to the Another Mother Runner podcast last week that had a former DL runDisney employee on that left 4 months ago for another race series.

Did the other podcast say the same thing as well?

If they cancel Light Side - I want my money back with interest since I gave them $900 back in January with the past participant link for 2 Rebel Challenges, a Jacket and a Figure/Shoe Ornament (I realize I won't get interest back)

I doubt Disney cares that people can tell there is major in fighting at DL RunDisney especially after Tink Weekend

Did the other podcast say the same thing as well?
The ex runDisney employee didn't say why she left or really anything about the inner workings of runDisney. She mainly talked about how runDisney changed the racing world and how it has evolved over the years. I find it odd that she left, after being with them for 10 years, at the same time things at runDisney DL seem to be going south but it could just be a coincidence.

I doubt Disney cares that people can tell there is major in fighting at DL RunDisney especially after Tink Weekend
It sure seems that way doesn't it!? I really hope if there is fighting they can get over it and put on all the races next year.

Really interesting. Can't say any of it is surprising (except that is cost runDisney $150 pro for volunteers. Wonder where that number comes from - comp'd ticket included?).

Wonder where that number comes from - comp'd ticket included?).
It did include the ticket. I went back and listened to it again, the total was $145/ 8 hour shift and they broke it down into $130 for the ticket, $5 for the shirt and $10 for food. If those really are the numbers $10 for food is a joke there is no way those snack boxes even come close to that. And as far as the shirts, did they not provide them for Tink? I would think they would do that either way. The email they read claimed with the change they are saving $50pp / shift.

It did include the ticket. I went back and listened to it again, the total was $145/ 8 hour shift and they broke it down into $130 for the ticket, $5 for the shirt and $10 for food. If those really are the numbers $10 for food is a joke there is no way those snack boxes even come close to that. And as far as the shirts, did they not provide them for Tink? I would think they would do that either way. The email they read claimed with the change they are saving $50pp / shift.

The problem is it doesn't cost them $130 for the ticket. That's the consumer price, but DL's cost would be significantly lower. If they say they are saving $50pp/shift, and calculating the ticket at $130, it looks like a wash.

The problem is it doesn't cost them $130 for the ticket. That's the consumer price, but DL's cost would be significantly lower. If they say they are saving $50pp/shift, and calculating the ticket at $130, it looks like a wash.

Its very possible on the RunDisney's P&L statement - it would show up at a $130 ticket. The accounting is most likely by division so while up at corporate it was a wash - in the actual division it is reported - it won't look like that.

Its very possible on the RunDisney's P&L statement - it would show up at a $130 ticket. The accounting is most likely by division so while up at corporate it was a wash - in the actual division it is reported - it won't look like that.

That's a good point. And unfortunate.

These are the accounting gymnastics I spoke about earlier. It doesn't actually cost Disney anything to comp these tickets. In the end if one division "charges" another division for something like this it is just to balance some GLs. It doesn't actually indicate a capital layout. If RunDisney is fake charged for the ticket then they should also be fake credited with every cent the person who got the comped ticket spent while in the park. That means every meal and souvenir they bought.

I have had two comped tickets in my life at WDW and in each occasion Disney made more on me because of it.

On one occasion, during the give a day get a day" promotion, I volunteered a day and got a one day park admission. Because I got that one day park admission I decided to fly down, stay on property, and register for the Inaugural W&D half. That one free ticket, that didn't actually cost Disney anything, got about $1,000 out of me when you count the race, hotel, souvenirs, and meals.

The second was in 2011 when they gave everyone a free ticket to any park if they did the full marathon. I was already going down and had my tickets, hotel, race registrations, and would be eating on property for all but one meal. Because of that promotion I stayed an extra day in a Disney hotel and ate 3 more meals in a Disney park. They made that comped ticket back a few times over.

This is why a good company doesn't nit pick over accounting costs that aren't actually costs. They look at the whole picture and realize giving away a free ticket, that doesn't actually cost anyone anything, ends up generating actual positive revenue because of it. A ticket is really just a mechanism to get a person into the park to really generate revenue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!