No More Peanuts on Southwest

Geez Louise people. This is not a new issue. The vast majority of airlines have stopped handing out peanuts. That will benefit those with severe peanut allergies in that there shouldn't be any stray peanuts lying around. However.....if a child sat in a seat, just before your flight, and he had a peanut butter sandwich, I can pretty much guarantee that there is peanut oil on that seat. So, what to do. Most parents are good about boarding early, and cleaning the area. If the allergy is hugely severe, then they will spread a covering on the seats.
Now, what to do about those eating peanut products on the plane...well, not much you can do. And it usually isn't going to be an issue. If you have a severely allergic child, then close the air vents over your seat. There is little danger to you from someone eating a peanut or a pb cracker three rows behind you. Yes, people have these allergies, but in all reality, most are not taking their lives in their hands by boarding a plane. My dd has a very good friend who is allergic to a huge number of things. She can safely eat/drink about 8 things. My dd and her friends watched their friend almost die after ingesting a tiny bit of dairy after telling the Jamba Juice people they had to make her smoothie in a dairy free machine. They didn't, she almost died, the reaction hit so quickly and so severaly that she was unable to use her epi pen and her dopey friends had never been told how to use it. Thank God a shop manager did!!! According to the EMTs, if another 5 mins had gone by, she wouldn't have needed them!!! The kids all now know how to use an Epi pen. My point is that there are many life threatening allergies out there. It is up to each person to take charge of their life and their allergy issues. There is absolutely no way to stop others from bringing a peanut product on board a plane. If the mere presence of pb is going to possibly harm you, you may want to find a different way to get somewhere.
Does this make it right to bring a peanut product on board a plane if there is possibly someone with an allergy on board? No. But my point is that sometimes people are jerks, and you shouldn't put your welfare in their hands.

I can just see it now if this trend keeps going......

Before you line up to board today's flight to Orlando, we will need to go through the new Souhthwest Airlines allergy protocol. If any of the the following apply to you or someone in your party please see the attendant at the podium to make new arrangements.

If you are allergic to peanuts, shellfish, dogs, cats, gluten, scents, perfume, nuts, dairy, or any other item which may be on this flight, please stand aside
If you are nervous about flying, please choose to sit in the back of the plane
If you don't like screaming kids, sit in the middle of the plane
If you have had a recent illness we may not be able to take you on this flight
If flashing or strobe lights bug you, please see us for a special hood to wear while flying

Remember, you are all important customers for Southwest Airlines and we want all of you to feel special even at the expense of our other paying customers. Enjoy your flight !

Again, how ridiculous is all of this and where does it end? What will it be next? Again, if a customer has such bad allergies that the entire flight needs to be cautious or alerted to this fact, flying may not be the best way to travel. Just sayin....
This is beyond rude and sarcastic. Bottom line is that there just aren't that many life threatening allergies, so we agree on that. But to put it the way you have is just downright mean! I'm pretty sure that if my child had an allergy to peanuts I would hope that I would be able to prepare the area of her. I would also hope that others wouldn't be so mean spirited in their feelings.

This is beyond rude and sarcastic. Bottom line is that there just aren't that many life threatening allergies, so we agree on that. But to put it the way you have is just downright mean! I'm pretty sure that if my child had an allergy to peanuts I would hope that I would be able to prepare the area of her. I would also hope that others wouldn't be so mean spirited in their feelings.

20-30years ago I doubt we would have thought airlines would be doing a lot of the things we see today, but here we are and where does it end? That is my point. On a plane of 200 people, expecting people to accommodate everyone is a lot to ask for especially when others are not even aware of anything like this until they get on a plane. IMO, do what you need to keep yourself safe but that responsibility falls on the individual, not the group.

20-30years ago I doubt we would have thought airlines would be doing a lot of the things we see today, but here we are and where does it end? That is my point. On a plane of 200 people, expecting people to accommodate everyone is a lot to ask for especially when others are not even aware of anything like this until they get on a plane. IMO, do what you need to keep yourself safe but that responsibility falls on the individual, not the group.
I think most of us get your point. Maybe try presenting it in a less smug, condescending way next time.

Again, I truly hope you and your family are never in a situation one day where you might need to ask for an ounce of compassion from someone else. Because with your attitude and disdain for others shown throughout this discussion, I wouldn't fault them if they didn't extend it to you.

And with that, I am done with this thread.

Having one child that has celiac disease and another that hasn’t allergies to wheat, milk and nuts (and has Epi pen) you would think that I would be on the side cheering SW for this month. I am actually against it. It is my responsibility and that of my children to make sure they are safe. They need to learn own to taken care of themselves and should not expect someone else to always look out for that them.

On a flight yesterday non-peanut snacks were passed out and then the FA came through with a case of nuts and said to please take a handful so he could get rid of them. He said they will be serving them until they run out.

Again, I truly hope you and your family are never in a situation one day where you might need to ask for an ounce of compassion from someone else. Because with your attitude and disdain for others shown throughout this discussion, I wouldn't fault them if they didn't extend it to you.

And with that, I am done with this thread.

I have to agree here. We all have times where we count on someone else. It doesn't matter if it's with a bill, a medical condition or just a favor from a friend. We all ultimately count on someone else at some point.

But hey, look at it this way. If you're a person who can't go without their nuts, there's always other airlines you can give your business to.

Funny how all these issues are recent.......never was an issue in the 1980s when I was in school. Did anyone even hear of ADHD 40 years ago? Gluten this Gluten that. GMO this GMO that. Safe places etc. All very first world problems in which others feel compelled to thrust their will onto others.

I fly in 2 weeks and I’m going to bring an extra large bag of nuts on board with me along with peanut butter crackers and will have a Reese’s just for drill. Heck, i will even share with my whole family and we are flying Southwest.

In the 70s there was an ADHD boy in my 4th grade class. They put a screen up around him and kept him in the regular class. They had no clue what to do. It was an issue but they didn't know what to do. No way could they do today.

Safe places - assume you mean for school attacks? In San Diego in the late 70s when I was in seventh grade a girl shot at someone near the junior high I was at. Their knowledge of a safe place - we were in gym class outdoors in a fenced area. Have you ever had to explain to elementary kids these days about what to do if there is a safety breech at school - doesn't appear so. I sub and it's hard when a second or third grader asks you that!

The food allergies you heartlessly joke about - what if a person didn't have an epi pen with them. Or person didn't know they had allergy?! My husband's friend losy his dad when he was stung by a dragon fly. Ambulance didn't get there and he died under a tree because his throat closed up. He had been bit before.

I pray you never have an ADHD or special ed child, I hope you never have to explain a safe place to children. I pray you never have life threatening allergies. I pray you learn these aren't joking matters. They are more prevalent because of social media.

Great news. There are so many people with peanut allergies that it’s probably best for everyone just to discontinue them.

Just 0.4-0.6% of the population has a peanut allergy. And fewer than that have anything over a mild one. I would think that if someone notifies SW of a peanut allergy, then they could serve an alternate snack. But failing that, I don't see the need for cutting out peanuts entirely. But it's Southwest's decision. If they don't want to bother with it, they don't have to. And it's not like I'll be broken up about missing out on a dinky little bag of peanuts. And who knows. Maybe we'll get a better snack as a substitute.

Last edited:
Funny how all these issues are recent.......never was an issue in the 1980s when I was in school. Did anyone even hear of ADHD 40 years ago? Gluten this Gluten that. GMO this GMO that. Safe places etc. All very first world problems in which others feel compelled to thrust their will onto others.

I fly in 2 weeks and I’m going to bring an extra large bag of nuts on board with me along with peanut butter crackers and will have a Reese’s just for drill. Heck, i will even share with my whole family and we are flying Southwest.

So you're going to deliberately bring peanuts because you're mad at the world and you're going to show them?

I don't know if I'll ever want to bring peanuts or not. But if I do bring them, I'm certainly going to ask if those near me are ok with me eating them. . But I won't bring them because I'm angry and want to make some sort of statement.

Last edited:
I feel for the allergic people. I have severe asthma but unfortunately, when I politely request that certain personal choices (tobacco smoke, perfume) are a trigger for my life, the people who are making those choices often tell me I should find another place to be.

Thankfully I can suck back on my rescue inhaler until I get away from the trigger but it's so frustrating that I have to go to that extent over some stranger's personal habit! People who need Epi-Pens can't just stand in the whirling mass of bees and keep shooting themselves in the leg...

My son is now 23 years old and grew up with multiple allergies (peanut, tree nut, egg, shellfish). The only one we ever worried about on the plane was nuts because of what happens to them in those little packages/pouches. They get crumbled up, much of the peanut skin is still on them. You then get approximately 150-200 people (depending on the size of your aircraft) opening the packages at the same time, dust flying out of the packages, going into the air, etc. All in a very small, contained environment and despite traveling with 2 Epi-Pens, never knowing if it would be enough. My son did fly before we could get peanut free and he always got "itchy" on those flights and his skin would react. Things were MUCH better after the peanut free allowances occurred. We would board early, wipe down everything, put a sheet over his seat if it wasn't a vinyl seat, and so on. No more issues.

Other allergens like milk, eggs, seafood, etc, don't create an airborne "dust" like nuts do. So they were NEVER a concern for me. How anyone cannot see the difference between nuts and other allergens, just means you're not wanting to think it through. What surprises me really is the jerk attitude about the love of a peanut for that limited amount of time and your entitlement for your comfort over someone's life. Yeah, right, people with allergies should become shut-ins and not have a life so you can continue to eat your snack of choice. Incredibly selfish but doesn't surprise me in today's world.

As to the person who has reactions to perfumes and scents--I'm with you on that one. That is VERY real and getting worse for people. Quite honestly, I can't figure out why people want to douse themselves with some perfume/cologne and then go sit in a sealed compartment for 3 hours. People, you do NOT smell good in that situation.

Other allergens like milk, eggs, seafood, etc, don't create an airborne "dust" like nuts do. So they were NEVER a concern for me. How anyone cannot see the difference between nuts and other allergens, just means you're not wanting to think it through. What surprises me really is the jerk attitude about the love of a peanut for that limited amount of time and your entitlement for your comfort over someone's life. Yeah, right, people with allergies should become shut-ins and not have a life so you can continue to eat your snack of choice. Incredibly selfish but doesn't surprise me in today's world.

As to the person who has reactions to perfumes and scents--I'm with you on that one. That is VERY real and getting worse for people. Quite honestly, I can't figure out why people want to douse themselves with some perfume/cologne and then go sit in a sealed compartment for 3 hours. People, you do NOT smell good in that situation.
According to researchers the "dust" is too heavy to become airborne.

But true or not, did you ever consider having your son wear a mask? Even on flights not serving peanuts, if you truly worried about peanut dust, that would be the thing to do.

Last edited:

I beg to differ in regards to the dust from nuts. Generally the dust is from actual grinding and most allergists seem to agree that it would take a tremendous amount of such peanut dust to create a reaction for the majority of peanut allergic people. There are always those few who may react, but most would be fine. As for the "dust" of other allergens not being an issue I know a family whose child went into anaphylactic shock from just touching milk someone spilled. And while that might not travel through the air, the seats and trays on the airplane are pretty covered with that stuff. My children are also allergic to most grains. 99% of cereals for example would put them into shock, and they are reactive to trace amounts. Ever see the amount of dust in a bag of cheerios?

I don't think people with allergies should be shut-ins, but as an allergy mom I feel it's on me to make sure my kids are safe. There are certain accommodations I expect from places like school or camp, but aside from that it's on me. If that means cleaning seats, wearing masks or whatever we do it. I'm not about to wave a peanut butter sandwich in the face of a kid with a food allergy but I'm not going to starve my son for the duration of the flight either when it's one of the few safe food options my growth restricted son has that he willingly eats. At most I'd ask to be moved if it was an issue in our row. We've never had an issue on our flights with being asked to restrict our foods though and hopefully we won't in the future.

Hate to break it to you sweetheart (Disney quote from Parent Trap,) but airlines were doing this and more 20-30 years ago.

Our dear friend's daughter, now 32, has severe peanut allergies. And yes, she would go into anaphylactic shock at even a few particles of dust, backed up by documentation from the then leading peanut allergist in the country where they finally had to go. They traveled quite a bit with houses in 2 states. From the time the daughter was a baby, they would call the airline several days before they boarded and all peanuts were removed for a day or two to get all the dust out of the venting system. This wasn't just removing peanuts from their flights, but from that airplane for 24 hours or more. If there was an equipment change, they would opt out of boarding and start the process again.

I cannot believe you think peanut allergies are fake enough that if asked, you would still partake in your peanut snacks. Unbelievable.

The only reason people think that these things did not exist years ago is because there was not social media around to talk about it. Someone having a peanut allergy or a celiac crises on a plane several states away didn't usually make the local nightly news. Now, with information overload, it seems things appeared overnight when they didn't really. People are just more aware now.

According to researchers the "dust" is too heavy to become airborne.

But true or not, did you ever consider having your son wear a mask? Even on flights not serving peanuts, if you truly worried about peanut dust, that would be the thing to do.

My son did wear a mask on the peanut flights, prior to them removing them. We got them from his allergist. He also wore long sleeves, pants, etc. We took all precautions and he was fine, albeit itchy on his exposed areas. On later flights, with peanuts removed and us wiping down seats (much better when the cloth airlines seats were discontinued). We took all precautions and he was able to fly, but he was less itchy on the peanut-free flights. What can I say.

I beg to differ in regards to the dust from nuts. Generally the dust is from actual grinding and most allergists seem to agree that it would take a tremendous amount of such peanut dust to create a reaction for the majority of peanut allergic people. There are always those few who may react, but most would be fine. As for the "dust" of other allergens not being an issue I know a family whose child went into anaphylactic shock from just touching milk someone spilled. And while that might not travel through the air, the seats and trays on the airplane are pretty covered with that stuff. My children are also allergic to most grains. 99% of cereals for example would put them into shock, and they are reactive to trace amounts. Ever see the amount of dust in a bag of cheerios?

I don't think people with allergies should be shut-ins, but as an allergy mom I feel it's on me to make sure my kids are safe. There are certain accommodations I expect from places like school or camp, but aside from that it's on me. If that means cleaning seats, wearing masks or whatever we do it. I'm not about to wave a peanut butter sandwich in the face of a kid with a food allergy but I'm not going to starve my son for the duration of the flight either when it's one of the few safe food options my growth restricted son has that he willingly eats. At most I'd ask to be moved if it was an issue in our row. We've never had an issue on our flights with being asked to restrict our foods though and hopefully we won't in the future.

I agree with you on the dust, but it's never a bad thing to reduce risk. I know all about the milk allergy. A child in our town's daycare (back in 1996) had a life threatening allergy to milk. They took all precautions but there was an accident one day and she came in contact on her skin with milk and she died. It was shocking. I know it can be just as bad as a peanut allergy; however, it's easier to see and easier to clean up. I'd have no issues at all banning the most deadliest allergens from any flight because you just can't get help quickly if something happens.

The last time I flew Southwest was last month, and we got peanuts on the way down to WDW but pretzels on the way home. Personally, I prefer pretzels, and since they are less likely to KILL any of my fellow passengers, I'm totally cool with the common sense change. We're sealed up in a tube with 200 other people, 30,000 feet in the air for a few hours. Certainly we can go without eating peanuts during that time?

And an interesting note: On the way down, when I reached into the pocket to pull out a magazine to look at, there were two empty peanut wrappers that were torn wide open and had been stuffed down into the pocket and gotten smashed in between the magazine pages. I remember saying "eww" because the inside of the wrappers was still kind of greasy with residue, which I unfortunately experienced because I felt the wrappers a split second before I saw them and realized what I was touching. I don't have peanut allergies, but if I did...boy. That could have been quite an issue.

There is no good reason TO serve peanuts as the snack on airplanes, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter