No more bags

10-12 years ago I had two dogs. I didn’t buy a lot of groceries so I didn’t have enough bags to do pickup duty so I bought a box of bags at Sam’s.

I think there must still be a 1000 bags left in that box. I’m down to one dog and now have a yard so I do pickup duty every 2 days instead of 2-3 times a day. Plus I now buy more groceries.

Yeah, I'm not buying anything from a store in a mall without a bag being given with the item...

This is how retail stores put themselves out of business - make the buying experience even more unpleasant than shopping online...

And yes, for those who have mentioned it, grocery stores are different. I preplan when I go to Aldi's and bring all the disposable bags I get from shopping elsewhere when I shop there...those bags have gotten reused until they fail (probably 10-15 times each)...but I also bag my own groceries and pay for my own cart b/c Aldi's passes so many of those savings on to me...I doubt Disney stores are planning on passing any real savings to me for the now total inconvenience...they'll just pocket the extra profit...

Wow this is a heated section of the DIS, all over plastic bags, I mean heck we all go to Disney or buy from Disney because it is something we enjoy. Everyone is entitled to there opinion but I for one am not going to get upset over having bags given to me or not. Yes Disney is a for profit company and yes any initiative to decrease cost and increase profit is going to go through as long as there is no serious draw back for the company. In saying all of that the one thing I will not allow bother me when I purchase things that are quite expensive is the fact that I didnt get a free bag. I already made the choice to buy whatever I am buying I have already parted with that money in my mind, the only thing I worry about next is weather I will or whoever I bought the item for will enjoy the purchase. Lifes to short and there are way more pressing things to worry about then plastic bags in my opinion.

I don't think its heated....but you missed the napkin debacle of years ago, you would have loved those threads ;)

I love my Disney re-usable bags - I actually get lots of compliments on them when I am out and about! :D The cashiers know I'm earning AirMiles for WDW tickets, LOL

Aldis grocery has been doing this FOREVER - plastic bags are .15 cents each and paper are .05 cents each or ypu can bring your own

its really not a big deal in the long run!
It's actually not the same thing.

1) Aldi has a shopping cart (if you have $0.25 which you will get back) for your usage to put stuff in

2) They do not say "buy a bag or carry your items individually"

3) At least at the Aldis in my area you can take your shopping cart to your car and put the stuff in AND you can take one of the many cardboard item containers to put your stuff in

Costco is the same aside from the quarter needed for the shopping cart.

What both places do is have ways to get your items from point A to point B and it's not the same thing as what Disney's policy is. I really wouldn't mind much at all honestly if I had a shopping cart I could use to get items from the Disney store to my car but being that my local Disney store is in a mall that is not the case.

I’m in the UK, we have had a charge for plastic bags for around 3 years now, at first it was an inconvenience but now everyone is used to it. I carry a packable shopper in my handbag and use it for all types of shopping.

I agree that plastic beyond just reusable bags is a huge problem, but don't think that means it deserves a 'throw in the towel' attitude. (Regarding water bottles - doubt you'll be happy to hear this, lol, but I think they are starting to promote and implement bans on them in some places, like San Fran - have you noticed the huge proliferation of those cute metal water bottles in stores?)

I do think there are better and worse ways to implement reusable bags. I really like the way that Wegmans does it. In addition to researching the materials, I feel they promote bag use via positive reinforcement. They have cool new designs for various seasons and holidays, and don't force you to use the bags, but often make a positive comment when you do.
The ban on water bottles makes no sense to me. If I can’t buy a water, because I am not carrying a metal one all day with me, I will end up making less healthy decisions like pop or Gatorade. Why the hate only for water bottles and not juice, milk, etc.

Last edited:

Anyone against or "inconvenienced" by initiatives to cut down on plastic use is selfish, plain and simple.

There are lots of plastic problems, bags being one of them, but things have to start somewhere.

Maybe next people will realize that humans managed to survive for about 200,000 years without drinking bottled water...
And how many people died over the last 200,000 years because the water wasn’t sanitary? Waterborne illness is a real concern, especially during storms and floods.

Um, you can drink water from a faucet. It goes through a filtration system. And buy a reusable water bottle.

View attachment 336817
I was specifically referring to the quote of saying people drank water for 200,000 years. Yes you can drink faucet water, but at least one day a year we are told not to drink the water because it isn’t safe. Also during hurricane Irma, people were told to stock up on bottled water. The water in Florida from the faucet in my opinion is undrinkable, I won’t even make coffee with it.

When I am at home or in a restaurant I don’t drink bottled water. If I go to the gym I use a reusable water bottle. If I am out and thirsty and don’t have one, I want the option to buy bottled water instead of soda.

I was specifically referring to the quote of saying people drank water for 200,000 years. Yes you can drink faucet water, but at least one day a year we are told not to drink the water because it isn’t safe. Also during hurricane Irma, people were told to stock up on bottled water. The water in Florida from the faucet in my opinion is undrinkable, I won’t even make coffee with it.

When I am at home or in a restaurant I don’t drink bottled water. If I go to the gym I use a reusable water bottle. If I am out and thirsty and don’t have one, I want the option to buy bottled water instead of soda.
Yes......
I'm bringing a Brita filter bottle on my next WDW visit and will see if it makes the water palatable.

I live in a town in NY that banned plastic bags a few years ago. The inconvenience it caused was nonexistent. People acted like grown ups and moved on. Reusable bags have been commonplace for over a decade now.

The house I lived in as a teen had a tree out front that got a plastic bag stuck in up at the top. That thing stayed there for years. Years. Who cares if companies are trying to save money? This is a good change regardless.

Slightly off-topic, but real question, as I'm curious. What do people line their bathroom trash cans and pick up cat litter with when plastic bags are 100% banned where they are? I have three plastic Target bags lining trash cans in my house at this moment and I used two others to scoop cat litter this morning. I would be open to an equal or superior alternative but do not know of one that is better for the environment.

Slightly off-topic, but real question, as I'm curious. What do people line their bathroom trash cans and pick up cat litter with when plastic bags are 100% banned where they are? I have three plastic Target bags lining trash cans in my house at this moment and I used two others to scoop cat litter this morning. I would be open to an equal or superior alternative but do not know of one that is better for the environment.
We used paper bags for such tasks in the 50's and 60's.
Of course we also burned our combustible trash in our back yard trash burners, which made for some interesting smells wafting through the housing additions. :crazy2:

I just use the paper bags that I get from fast-food places or the liquor store. Failing that, there's probably a cardboard cereal box around somewhere.

Our city collects pet and kitchen waste and composts it, BUT the paper bags they suggest to line your bin are $5 for a box of five. WHAT. So whenever I get a bag, I thank the retail person for the gift of a cat poop bag. :D

During natural disasters, the rescue departments and city officials need sufficient water pressure so they can use fire hydrants and continue to provide a clean source of drinking water. They CANNOT do that if Uncle Jim is hosing off his boat and Aunt Martha is filling the bathtub and every pot and pan in the house with tap water. That's why they ask that people buy bottled water.

The warnings about not drinking the water are usually due to the condition of the natural water source. If Nestle or another bottling company pumps up and uses up all the water, the remaining water table CANNOT supply people's needs, and it often is contaminated because the treatment plant is working overtime and cannot filter out everything when they don't have a constant source of fresh water.

Why not make the simple change to carry your gym water bottle all the time? You're going to be thirsty eventually!

We don't line the waste baskets with plastic bags. We do have two cats, so we buy biodegradable kitty litter bags.

And because you said cats (it's a rule I just invented), I get to post pictures of our two monsters!

Walnut and Cashew:

Resized_20170605_115642.jpeg

So, has anyone actually experienced shopping the parks, or at Disney Springs? Charging for bags yet or not?

So usually when I'm at the Disney store I'm doing gift shopping for family - say at Christmas time. If I can't have a bag to carry out the overly large boxes the dolls and toys are in then I won't be buying those there. I carry reusable totes in my car but the size to carry those things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter