No "Guest Experience" Kiosks in MK

DIS-NH

Mouseketeer
For some reason, the (very helpful) Guest Experience Kiosks that are in Epcot and Studios, are apparently NO LONGER
used in MK. Visited MK yesterday and it was awful. After looking for the Kiosk everywhere (where they used to be)
and not being able to find a CM (not many around any more), I went to a ride attendant who explained they removed
them.

I was advised that I should go to Town Hall to get a return time, or to the individual ride. Many of you can relate that
it is difficult to go to a ride for a return time, and then advise the child they can not go on now....need to wait. The ability
to obtain the return time "covertly", helps a lot.

Hope they return soon. I will stay clear of MK for a while. Also hoping for the return of Fast Passes.

Stay safe !

Doubt they will return for a long time. Disney lost billions. There are cuts all over. As expected

How does a FP cost money for Disney? Even if there are administrative costs to run the program, the customer value
is enormous. In my case, I would obtain my (3), and then obtain DAC return times in between. This allowed us to keep my
son on the move and greatly increased his ability to enjoy the park.

Oh well.......

How does a FP cost money for Disney? Even if there are administrative costs to run the program, the customer value
is enormous. In my case, I would obtain my (3), and then obtain DAC return times in between. This allowed us to keep my
son on the move and greatly increased his ability to enjoy the park.

Oh well.......
This is the new norm at Disney. Changes that make some people unhappy. Everything is clearly outlined in KNOW BEFORE YOU GO. There have been no fastpasses since the park reopened and likely won't be for the foreseeable future. The lines with reduced capacity in the parks don't justify the need for fastpasses. Not having fastpasses helps with the social distancing and safety measures Disney is instituting. Those who qualify for the DAS can still get one return time at a time. If people aren't happy with the system, can't wear the masks, can't wait in line then the best option is to stay home until the old Disney you are used to is back (if it ever is the way people remember).

They had some at Epcot last month. I wonder if not enough people were using them to justify the labor. If you have more then 1 adult in your group you can send them to get the DAS. I don't think they got rid of the FP for a cost cutting measure as much as more of a crowd control. The FP line is parallel the regular line in many rides and you can't keep a distance like that.

There's also a distinction between the decision to cut FP (which I understand/agree with because it's not feasible given distancing in the lines and the low capacity ceiling) and the decision to no longer have blue umbrellas and instead have the kind of "roaming CM" method for getting a DAS return (and other needs). Even if they needed to shut down a couple of the umbrellas because of layoffs, it is bizarre and frustrating to me that they would instead get rid of the entire concept at MK and instead have more people showing up at the entrance to the ride, which is already crowded/bottlenecking. But oh well - changes are what changes are.

They had some at Epcot last month. I wonder if not enough people were using them to justify the labor. If you have more then 1 adult in your group you can send them to get the DAS. I don't think they got rid of the FP for a cost cutting measure as much as more of a crowd control. The FP line is parallel the regular line in many rides and you can't keep a distance like that.

OP, this is how we manage it without having to bring our DAS child up to a ride when he’s not getting to ride at the time. I run all around the park getting them before we are going to be in an area, and then run back to our group, very similar to being a FP runner in days of yore. DH stays with our 3 children. I’m much smaller than him, know the parks well and am an excellent weaver and dodger, so this works well for us.

OP, this is how we manage it without having to bring our DAS child up to a ride when he’s not getting to ride at the time. I run all around the park getting them before we are going to be in an area, and then run back to our group, very similar to being a FP runner in days of yore. DH stays with our 3 children. I’m much smaller than him, know the parks well and am an excellent weaver and dodger, so this works well for us.

If you knew me, you'd know that I am not a Disney Newbie. Like many of us, I have been doing this for years, and I DO understand the strategies for obtaining the return time with the least amount of disturbance to my son.

My point(s):

1. Why have the Kiosks in Epcot and Studios, and NOT at MK. Makes no sense that they would have them at one park and not another.

2. I still miss the FP's and want them back. Yes, I understand the argument.

Right/Wrong - Good/Bad....My son has a tolerance for his mask of about 2 hours. I simply want to maximize his time in the one place in the world where he is truly happy.

I'm remembering why I stopped posting here a few years ago

If you knew me, you'd know that I am not a Disney Newbie. Like many of us, I have been doing this for years, and I DO understand the strategies for obtaining the return time with the least amount of disturbance to my son.

My point(s):

1. Why have the Kiosks in Epcot and Studios, and NOT at MK. Makes no sense that they would have them at one park and not another.

2. I still miss the FP's and want them back. Yes, I understand the argument.

Right/Wrong - Good/Bad....My son has a tolerance for his mask of about 2 hours. I simply want to maximize his time in the one place in the world where he is truly happy.

I'm remembering why I stopped posting here a few years ago

People just gave you advice. It is understandable your son doesn’t have a tolerance for long term mask wearing, but Disney requires. As everyone said FPs are gone now but on KNOW BEFORE YOU GO details every change at the parks and is updated.

@DIS-NH I’m sorry you found the parks challenging for your family. I don’t know why the kiosks/umbrellas are only sporadically available now. I’m sure WDW has a reason but it is unknown by those of us on the DIS. I suggest you contact WDW to share feedback and ask that question.

Ability to obtain a DAS return time at a Guest Relations kiosk/umbrella in WDW was relatively new pre-COVID. Even then it wasn’t unusual for folks to be denied a return time without going to the ride itself. My guess is the current lack of such stands may be due to staffing, but that is just a guess.

@DIS-NH I’m sorry you found the parks challenging for your family. I don’t know why the kiosks/umbrellas are only sporadically available now. I’m sure WDW has a reason but it is unknown by those of us on the DIS. I suggest you contact WDW to share feedback and ask that question.

Ability to obtain a DAS return time at a Guest Relations kiosk/umbrella in WDW was relatively new pre-COVID. Even then it wasn’t unusual for folks to be denied a return time without going to the ride itself. My guess is the current lack of such stands may be due to staffing, but that is just a guess.

I second alll this above ⬆, plus you can always reach out to Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com and ask them if they have any more insight as to why the kiosks are not in MK (currently), and give them feedback about why they are valuable to your family.

What other things get done at the kiosks besides DAS return times? Maybe those services don't exist any more at MK? Also, the way MK is set up, there could be issues with the locations.

One reason there is no FP at the moment is that many rides use the FP line in addition to the standby line, for social distancing

I don’t have any direct facts, but do have some guesses about the blue umbrellas
I have heard they got ride of the kiosk because they were getting too much of a line / crowded and due to COVID they had to take them away but there are rooming CM out instead
Before the parks closed, there were often lines at the blue umbrellas. There was often more than one line because the umbrellas could be approached from more than one side.
I think they don’t have them out for some of the same reasons they are running random cavalcades rather than set time parades - to avoid congregating of large numbers of people.
other things get done at the kiosks besides DAS return times? Maybe those services don't exist any more at MK? Also, the way MK is set up, there could be issues with the locations.
From what I had seen, a lot of the ‘work’ before at the kiosks involved helping guests with Fastpasses, so at least that part is not happening. There were times in the past when DAS and DAS Return Times could not be set up at the blue umbrellas - sometimes equipment and sometimes wifi connection related.
My memory of the locations was that they were often in/near where 2 paths came together. That could cause concern with blocking traffic.

The final thing I can see is staffing. The umbrellas were each staffed with 2 CMs in our experience, so it sounds like less staff would be used by getting rid of the umbrellas and having the CMs roam.

They are returning in January. We just got back and we were able to do all the rides we wanted to do by 1130 am because we got in Mk at 820 for an opening time of 9am. We went straight to sdmt but it was down so we went to space mountain- a 5 minute wait and walked right on, then we went to thunder mountain, 5 minute wait and walked right on , then walked right on to splash mountain. We then went to pirates which was 15 minute wait so we got a return time and went on the magic carpets and then back to pirates . We got a return time for sdmt and then went on Pooh, little mermaid, and Dumbo,looked in a few stores and then went on sdmt. The key is getting to the parks early at least 45 minutes before. We did the the same the next day and rode everything by 11 including sdmt twice.

My son has not been to a Disney park in several years. Last time, at Disneyland, they were still using the DAC and we would go to the umbrella kiosks to get our return times. They would physically write the time on our card. Since the transition to DAS, is the return time now affiliated with a magic band or MDE?

Im also concerned about going to the actual ride for the return time instead of "covertly" getting a time from a separate location. My son has severe autism and part of the reason we need the GAS is to avoid him having a melt down because he doesnt understand the concept of taking turns. If we can keep him moving, he's less likely to get impatient. I'm not really looking forward to having to ditch the rest of my family several times a day to get the times at the actual ride entrance.

But even then, I am so thankful to Disney by offering any accommodations. It really makes a huge difference in how my son can enjoy his vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter