No availability?

preemiemama

DIS Veteran
Posting a question for my parents. They are in Florida for the winter, and looking to visit WDW for 3 nights sometime between 1/22 and 1/29- preferably a 1 bedroom or studio. Online, there is one night for each category at SSR. When they call Member Services they can get 2 night in a 2 bedroom at SSR. Is something happening with the reservation system, or is this typical? Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome. I didn't think the end of January was busy enough for all the DVC resorts to be sold out!

DVC is always at least 98% occupied. Some night just take longer to fill up, but they all fill up. “Busy” just means it books up more quickly, not that rooms sit empty in “slow” times. Trying to book one week out is always going to be a challenge, no matter the time of year.

A bit surprising even SSR is mostly sold out of 2-bedrooms, but the overall situation isn't that surprising. DVC is not a good choice for people who plan trips a couple of weeks in advance. DVC works best for those who plan and are ready to book their trips 7-11 months ahead of time, even during the slower seasons.

January 28 has a Moonlight Magic night! I’ve booked our first ever late January DVC stay specifically for that!:)

That is typically what we/they do. But being in Florida and having extra points, they thought they would go for a few days.

That may be part of the issue as well.
It was not easy to get our 3 night SSR 1 bedroom reservation! I would have been OK with a studio, but none were available. I think I got the reservation night at a time, and the first night, the Friday, was originally a paid night at a Value Disney resort. I began trying to book at the end of November.

Call! As a professional late booker I have learned that under a week the online system doesn't always reflect what they can do for you. That said a week is going to be tough.

That last week of January is now also affected, reservation and crowd-wise, by the NFL Pro-Bowl which is in Orlando each year, 2017 through 2019, and this year it is on Jan 28. Last year, praticularly for the Wednesday to Sunday, it tended to fill rooms somewhat quicker than usual for that time period and made the parks more crowded than usual. I suspect the same is happening this year.

Last edited:
My daughter has been on a waitlist for January 31 (1 night) for months. It took her months to peace together a trip. Managed 3 nights at Bwv by stalking. She’s at SSR on the 31st. She too was shocked that she couldn’t even book SSR months ago for a 4 night stay.

With under a month to go to get a reservation always call as they give unused rooms to CRO but can pull them back if needed

Haven't they been offering people moves over to SSR from OKW because of the refurb. happening at OKW?

Call! As a professional late booker I have learned that under a week the online system doesn't always reflect what they can do for you. That said a week is going to be tough.

That last week of January is now also affected, reservation and crowd-wise, by the NFL Pro-Bowl which is in Orlando each year, 2017 through 2019, and this year it is on Jan 28. Last year, praticularly for the Wednesday to Sunday, it tended to fill rooms somewhat quicker than usual for that time period and made the parks more crowded than usual. I suspect the same is happening this year.

With under a month to go to get a reservation always call as they give unused rooms to CRO but can pull them back if needed

They have called- and nothing but 2 nights in a 2 bedroom were available. They are going to try again tomorrow and see what there is...

The Pro Bowl makes sense- I never even thought about that!

We are also looking at using points to get a room in a moderate. Not the best use of points, but Port Orleans was about 20 points a night and would work OK for them.

Posting a question for my parents. They are in Florida for the winter, and looking to visit WDW for 3 nights sometime between 1/22 and 1/29- preferably a 1 bedroom or studio. Online, there is one night for each category at SSR. When they call Member Services they can get 2 night in a 2 bedroom at SSR. Is something happening with the reservation system, or is this typical? Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome. I didn't think the end of January was busy enough for all the DVC resorts to be sold out!
Trying to book a vacation 11 months out and getting shut out even when I hit the search button the instant the day rolls over. I think folks are using technology to grab ressies, maybe bots. Add that to those who are making ressies a week or more out, and then walking them. DVC needs to do something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter