NJ to FL-route advice

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
Hi We are headed down in a few weeks and typically we take the dreaded 95 all the way down. Last time we flew so we haven't driven in several years. I doubt much has changed traffic wise. I live in Central/Jersey Shore area of NJ. I have a trip tik from AAA but I also mapped it out via Google maps. It's given me a few alternate ways but I'm not sure if they are going to be good ways to go for a few reasons, are they taking us through areas that wouldn't be any better traffic wise, will there not be places where we could stop to eat, go to bathroom etc? Are any of you familiar with these routes:

Route #1 has us taking De-1/US113 (I skipped the way to get to that point so this wouldn't be too long). Then getting on I-64 in Norfolk. Then 264, 664, US 58 then getting on 95S in Rocky Mountain, NC. I think we may have come home from Virginia Beach this way and it was pretty good.

Route #2 has us going through Pennsylvania to get 95S then taking 495S toward Baltimore. Then 95S then DE 896, then 301, then 50 towards Washington. Then 95 back toward Richmond. Then 295 via via exit 84A toward Richmond Intl. Then 95S for remainder.

Does my condensed version make sense? Are either of these good options? Thank you!

I live in S. Jersey and took Route #1 last year to Hilton Head. It's longer mileage wise but you do avoid the Baltimore-Washington-Richmond traffic disaster area. Although I have to say getting thru the Norfolk area wasn't so simple.

There are plenty of places to stop to use a restroom or eat. There is also a website I'd print out for I-95 that lists all the rest stops on the way which can help you decide if you really need to stop or can wait until the next one.

Hi We are headed down in a few weeks and typically we take the dreaded 95 all the way down. Last time we flew so we haven't driven in several years. I doubt much has changed traffic wise. I live in Central/Jersey Shore area of NJ. I have a trip tik from AAA but I also mapped it out via Google maps. It's given me a few alternate ways but I'm not sure if they are going to be good ways to go for a few reasons, are they taking us through areas that wouldn't be any better traffic wise, will there not be places where we could stop to eat, go to bathroom etc? Are any of you familiar with these routes:

Route #1 has us taking De-1/US113 (I skipped the way to get to that point so this wouldn't be too long). Then getting on I-64 in Norfolk. Then 264, 664, US 58 then getting on 95S in Rocky Mountain, NC. I think we may have come home from Virginia Beach this way and it was pretty good.

Route #2 has us going through Pennsylvania to get 95S then taking 495S toward Baltimore. Then 95S then DE 896, then 301, then 50 towards Washington. Then 95 back toward Richmond. Then 295 via via exit 84A toward Richmond Intl. Then 95S for remainder.

Does my condensed version make sense? Are either of these good options? Thank you!

Minnie we drive every year from Union County NJ. My best advise ( the best way it works for us) is to leave at 1:00am the day before check in. It gets you through Virginia around 7:00 am. And the rest of the trip is a breeze. My wife and I do share some driving but I do most of it. We normally stop in Kingsland Ga.at about 6:00 pm. which is about 3 miles north of the Fl line and then go in the next day (about 3 hrs) hope that helps.

I would do I-95 straight threw...

In option 1, 664 is completely unpredictable. We used to live in that area and I-664 backs up all the time and US-58 still has it's slow areas as it goes through towns even after the widening of the road.

In option 2, US-50 towards DC should be avoided. I would also avoid US-301 which weaves in and out of the towns of Northern Virginia and there is a bridge on that route that is ALWAYS backed up

I would take I-95 S to DC then I-495 around D.C. then I-95 S towards Richmond then I-295 S around Richmond

I would do I-95 straight threw.. I would take I-95 S to DC then I-495 around D.C. then I-95 S towards Richmond then I-295 S around Richmond

That's what we do.

We normally stop in Kingsland Ga.at about 6:00 pm. which is about 3 miles north of the Fl line and then go in the next day (about 3 hrs) hope that helps.

We also stop in Kingsland!

The best way to go is I-95 south (take the NJ Turnpike) all the way.

Take I-295 around Richmond.

They have those special HOV lanes outside of Washington DC and around Richmond that you pay extra to use. I use them if they are open. They are worth paying extra for.

If you don’t have an EZ pass I strongly recommend you buy one.

We use the Waze app. It is the best app to route you around traffic/accidents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter